A's sold out the Coluseum last night

3,985 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Saturday night game against crosstown Giants, but they even opened up Mount Davis. Impressive 58,000 in attendance.

agdaddy04
AG
Girl wearing full on winter coat in July, definitely not in Texas.
irish pete ag06
AG
Makes my case for purely geographic divisions in baseball.
wbt5845
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Bay area at night can be chilly at night. And people wear parks there when it's in the 50's - they're kinda odd out there.
W
AG
nowadays it may actually be safer for a Giants fan to go see their team in Oakland than SF
The Lost
Promo? Or the old we support a winning team vs a rival on the weekend?

Or Replica ring night for the warriors?
WoMD
agdaddy04 said:

It was in the 50s last night. People here are wimps.
WoMD
W said:

nowadays it may actually be safer for a Giants fan to go see their team in Oakland than SF

Not even close to being true. The area surrounding at&t is pretty safe. Unless you're scared of hipsters and skinny jeans. As fans are also rowdy and tend to be more drunk. Giants fans are docile and harmless.

LA is still the only stadium I've been to where I was afraid for the opposing fans (luckily I was wearing A&M gear).
BCSWguru
funny. L.A. is also the only place I've been accosted rudely for wearing another team's gear.
jkag89
irish pete ag06 said:

When these game become common place every season you are not going to see such attendance. Is 'Stros vs Rangers attendance now that they play 19 games as season at the level it was when they played six games a season? IMO it would be completely idiotic to destroy the history of the game for geographic divisions.
mazag08
AG
I did a mock up of what purely geographic divisions would look like a couple years ago if MLB expanded to two more teams.. say Charlotte and Nashville since the south is incredibly underrepresented in the league.

NL East
Baltimore Orioles
Charlotte
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals

NL North
Cincinnati Reds
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South
Atlanta Braves
Miami Marlins
Nashville
Tampa Bay Rays

NL West
LA Dodgers
LA Angels
San Diego Padres
Arizona Diamondbacks

AL East
Boston Red Sox
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays

AL North
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Milwaukee Brewers
Minnesota Twins

AL South
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
St. Louis Cardinals
Texas Rangers

AL West
Seattle Mariners
San Francisco Giants
Oakland Athletics
Colorado Rockies
jkag89
mazag08 said:

I did a mock up of what purely geographic divisions would look like a couple years ago if MLB expanded to two more teams.. say Charlotte and Nashville since the south is incredibly underrepresented in the league.

NL East
Baltimore Orioles
Charlotte
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals

NL North
Cincinnati Reds
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South
Atlanta Braves
Miami Marlins
Nashville
Tampa Bay Rays

NL West
LA Dodgers
LA Angels
San Diego Padres
Arizona Diamondbacks

AL East
Boston Red Sox
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays

AL North
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Milwaukee Brewers
Minnesota Twins

AL South
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
St. Louis Cardinals
Texas Rangers

AL West
Seattle Mariners
San Francisco Giants
Oakland Athletics
Colorado Rockies
Probably the best rivalry in baseball is Cubs/Cardinals yet you don't put them in the same division, that will go over well. At least you put them in the same league which is something you did not do with Giants/Dodgers.
mazag08
AG
Of course it wouldn't shake out like this. That's why I prefaced it with "purely regional divisions".

And when you look at it regionally.. there are too many teams bunched together in the NE and in the west. No matter how you cut it, someone would be unhappy.
mazag08
AG
But for S&G, here ya go.. now we're more "same general half of the US" instead of regional.. but annoying fanbases get to keep their little rivalries.

NL East
Baltimore Orioles
Charlotte
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals

NL North
Cincinnati Reds
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South
Atlanta Braves
Miami Marlins
Nashville
Tampa Bay Rays

NL West
LA Dodgers
LA Angels
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

AL East
Boston Red Sox
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays

AL North
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Milwaukee Brewers
St. Louis Cardinals

AL Central
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins
Texas Rangers

AL West
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies
Oakland Athletics
Seattle Mariners
AustinAg2K
Rivalries aren't built off of geographic location. They are built off of playing years of meaningful close games.
Harry Dunne
It's a little bit of both.

We are never going to have the same rivalry with South Carolina in football that we did with Baylor or Texas Tech. You know and work with and live around lots of graduates from those schools. It's year-long trash talk.

Even though Houston played lots of close meaningful games while we were in the NL West, we never had a really bitter rivalry with west coast teams and we really still don't. Hell it's a really small demographic that can even stay up to watch the PST games on the road.

There was a long long time when the Cubs were awful yet they still have a great rivalry with the Cardinals and I think that's based just as much on geography & the cities being competitive with each other as anything else.

Houstons rivalry with the Rangers isn't based on a lot of meaningful games - the rivalry has been brief and one-sided. It is based on the cities and fans knowing and being competitive with each other. I think it could be really good if both teams were ever good at the same time.
_lefraud_
AG
Opened this thread thinking the stadium hosted a RHCP concert or something...
Harry Dunne
jkag89 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

When these game become common place every season you are not going to see such attendance. Is 'Stros vs Rangers attendance now that they play 19 games as season at the level it was when they played six games a season? IMO it would be completely idiotic to destroy the history of the game for geographic divisions.
I agree with what you are saying but "Completely idiotic" and "destroy the history of the game" is a little bit dramatic.

It's not like the Astros and Brewers are the Yankees and Red Sox but aside from a little initial crying, nobody really gave a rip that they moved those teams around willy-nilly and really it has worked out fine & people adjust. Both teams had some pretty strong history with teams they hardly play anymore. I miss playing the Cubs and Cardinals...and even the Reds.

Like has been said, there are some untouchable rivalries, but there are so damn many games that there is a way to have more reasonable divisions and not destroy rivalries.
TXAggie2011
AG
WoMD said:

W said:

Not even close to being true. The area surrounding at&t is pretty safe. Unless you're scared of hipsters and skinny jeans. As fans are also rowdy and tend to be more drunk. Giants fans are docile and harmless.

LA is still the only stadium I've been to where I was afraid for the opposing fans (luckily I was wearing A&M gear).
Well, you are on TexAgs...
jkag89
What mazag08 proposed is not just a handful of teams switching leagues. If you are going to propose such an extreme reworking of both leagues based upon regionality, why not go full board. In other words why not do what the NBA and NHL has done and have an Eastern League and a Western League? At least that makes more sense than moving the Cubs out of the NL which they have been apart of since 1876 so they will meet the ChiSox a bunch every season.

By the way, I'm still pissed that the Astros were moved out of the NL, the World Series title only mitigated this a bit
AustinAg2K
Harry Dunne said:

We are never going to have the same rivalry with South Carolina in football that we did with Baylor or Texas Tech. You know and work with and live around lots of graduates from those schools. It's year-long trash talk.

Baylor was never a rivalry until Art Briles got there. People cared as much about Sam Houston as they did Baylor in the 90s. We had great games against Tech, and they routinely spoiled great seasons for us, which is why they became a rival. If both us start competing for SEC championships, a rivalry will quickly develop with SC. Look at the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have huge rivalries with the Giants and Eagles, but they don't care about Houston or New Orleans, even though geographically those games should matter more.
AustinAg2K
Harry Dunne said:

aside from a little initial crying, nobody really gave a rip that they moved those teams around willy-nilly and really it has worked out fine & people adjust.
People have adjusted because they like baseball, but as an Astro fan, I would still rather be in the NL. I don't really care about playing the Rangers, Angels, or A's. Any future re-alignment should involve the Astros moving back to the NL.
Harry Dunne
AustinAg2K said:

Harry Dunne said:

Baylor was never a rivalry until Art Briles got there. People cared as much about Sam Houston as they did Baylor in the 90s. We had great games against Tech, and they routinely spoiled great seasons for us, which is why they became a rival. If both us start competing for SEC championships, a rivalry will quickly develop with SC. Look at the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have huge rivalries with the Giants and Eagles, but they don't care about Houston or New Orleans, even though geographically those games should matter more.
I went to school in the 90s and I'm a second-generation Aggie and that's just not true.

Read some old stories and talk to some old Ags about the rivalry with Baylor. They were a bitter rival even when they were bad. To suggest that a D1-AA school was considered the same as the conference rival 90 miles away is just silly.
Harry Dunne
AustinAg2K said:

Harry Dunne said:

aside from a little initial crying, nobody really gave a rip that they moved those teams around willy-nilly and really it has worked out fine & people adjust.
People have adjusted because they like baseball, but as an Astro fan, I would still rather be in the NL. I don't really care about playing the Rangers, Angels, or A's. Any future re-alignment should involve the Astros moving back to the NL.
Now this I agree with.

I meant that no one outside of Houston cared, and Houston is not a marquee franchise for MLB nor were we part of any marquee rivalries.
Aggie1205
AG
The commish was on MLB Network radio last week and was asked about expansion. He said he absolutely thought 32 teams made sense. I believe he mentioned Nashville, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver, and Charlotte. Also mentioned Mexico.
wbt5845
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Baylor was never a rivalry until Art Briles got there. People cared as much about Sam Houston as they did Baylor in the 90s.
Username checks out.
irish pete ag06
AG
Similar time zones and geography make the most sense for a sport like baseball which is much more regional than the NFL. Couple that with the massive amount of games played and nice rivalries would blossom out of proximity to each other and building "years of meaningful games."

Plus, the biggest rivalries out there are all somewhat close geographically...

Boston & NYY
Cards & Cubs
Giants & Dodgers

And the blossoming Rangers Astros rivalry which is already usually brought up as one of the bigger modern day ones.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-mlbs-top-5-rivalries/c-214516288
WoMD
Aggie1205 said:

The commish was on MLB Network radio last week and was asked about expansion. He said he absolutely thought 32 teams made sense. I believe he mentioned Nashville, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver, and Charlotte. Also mentioned Mexico.

Portland? Ugh...hipsters only like soccer. And that's only for a few weeks here and there when it's trendy. World Cup, anyone?

Portland would be a horrible choice. Plus, I still really really hate hipsters...

If only I didn't live in a hipster neighborhood...
double aught
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Houstons rivalry with the Rangers isn't based on a lot of meaningful games - the rivalry has been brief and one-sided.
It's seemed somewhat even to me.
PSully97
AG
double aught said:

Harry Dunne said:

Houstons rivalry with the Rangers isn't based on a lot of meaningful games - the rivalry has been brief and one-sided.
It's seemed somewhat even to me.
Last 10 years:

09 Rangers 5-1
10 Rangers 5-1
11 Rangers 4-2
12 Rangers 5-1
13 Rangers 17-2
14 Astros 11-8
15 Rangers 13-6
16 Rangers 15-4
17 Astros 12-7
18 Astros 12-4 (so far)
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Bay area at night can be chilly at night.

A buddy of mine -- born and raised in the Bay area -- said it is actually COLDER in the summer months nights than during the winter months. I was there a few years ago during the week after Christmas and got hot in a windbreaker.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Baylor was never a rivalry until Art Briles got there. People cared as much about Sam Houston as they did Baylor in the 90s.

This is just flat out not true. Things do go back a little farther than the '90s. A&M and Baylor played many meaningful football games in the '80s and earlier, and played a ton of meaningful basketball and other sport games as well -- including 2011 when the Lady Ags lost to Baylor 3x during the season and conf. tourney and beat them in the Regional Finals.

We make just as big of fools out of ourselves for denying we have a rivalry with Baylor as t-sips made denying we were a rival with them.
WoMD
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

A buddy of mine -- born and raised in the Bay area -- said it is actually COLDER in the summer months nights than during the winter months. I was there a few years ago during the week after Christmas and got hot in a windbreaker.

It is. It's miserable right now. Cold and windy, and the fog burns off at around 11am and rolls in around 4-5pm in my part of the city. It doesn't warm up and get nice until about September, which is the beginning of summer. Then it's absolutely perfect every day, best weather in the country IMO.
The Lost
WoMD said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

It is. It's miserable right now. Cold and windy, and the fog burns off at around 11am and rolls in around 4-5pm in my part of the city. It doesn't warm up and get nice until about September, which is the beginning of summer. Then it's absolutely perfect every day, best weather in the country IMO.
So its miserable half the year but its the best weather in the country? lol, is that how you justify the cost of everything else involved in SF?
WoMD
Best weather the good half. I try to leave in August if I can. Although it can be argued that it's a nice reprieve for stifling heat and humidy elsewhere.

Also, easy bay is arguably the best weather in the country year round, but I don't live there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.