Help with my 8 year old!

2,039 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 03_Aggie
OutdoorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my son is a pretty good ball player, and has never had a problem hitting the ball. He got picked up to play with a team for the playoffs and the state tournament is next week. While he hasn't been hitting the ball well for a few weeks, tonight he swung and missed at 16 pitches in practice. This is coach pitch and he never struck out all year. He's all out on hit front leg which may be a result of him going to golf camp this week. My question is, do I work with him the next few days and risk putting to much pressure on him, or just act like nothing is wrong and hope it works itself out before state on Monday? The poor kid was so frustrated and embarrassed at the end of practice today.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Sounds like he's anxious to prove himself to his new teammates and coaches, and he's trying to do too much, maybe even lunging a bit. It gets harder and harder to keep your weight back as you get more frustrated. Pretty common thing - tell him not to get discouraged.

If he's already a good hitter and this is just a funk, my suggestion would be to do a quick restart to let him see what good contact feels like again. Do a few rounds on a tee and then some soft toss (from the side, kneeling, with him hitting against a fence/net). Let him square it up over and over again until he gets a good rhythm. The next day, make those rounds quick and then get to some light pitching - maybe 3/4 of the normal distance. On Day 3 add the real thing and see how it goes.

The good news is that you're not teaching him anything new. It's just a confidence issue at this point. Work on getting his smile back. That's a big deal for an 8-year-old. He can do this in a week. Build him up, Dad. Good luck!
OutdoorAg
AG
Great advise. Thank you. I really appreciate it.
_lefraud_
AG
Golf shouldn't have anything to do with it, as he shouldn't be lunging and/or moving his head in golf either.

agsquirrel97
AG
Buck Compton
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Golf shouldn't have anything to do with it, as he shouldn't be lunging and/or moving his head in golf either.

My Dad used to just put a sandbag or two inside my back foot. Stops you from dragging that back foot forward at all as you lunge.
_lefraud_
AG
I was always told to smush the bug with my back foot
Farmer1906
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I was always told to smush the bug with my back foot
You were told incorrectly.
MelvinUdall
Could it be that this coach is throwing a little slower that what he is used to and is out in front?

Buck,

Thanks for the suggestion on the sandbag, one of my daughters gets out in front and that back foot will drag sometimes.
94chem
Hope you get it worked out in time for Nationals. Those dads from Spokane Central have been grooving meat on a tee the entire summer, and those boys (well, they have 2 girls too) are raking.
94chem
Seriously, tell him to keep his eye on the ball, and if he can't make solid contact maybe he doesn't need an iPad any more.
Farmer1906
AG
94chem said:

Seriously, tell him to keep his eye on the ball, and if he can't make solid contact maybe he doesn't need an iPad any more.
So hit the damn ball or I'm taking away your ipad?
94chem
Yep. Use the Force.
JavierC2005
Tee work. Tee work is very important at any age. Like the poster above said, let him build his confidence back with some tee and soft toss hitting. Repitition is key.

Also, don't get frustrated with him. He's only 8. Have fun with it. I have to remind myself that quite often.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Relax, he's 8
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I had the same thing happen to me in high school ball. It was bright yellow balls and as the sun was going down in the batting cage. I remember being ridiculously embarrassed because I whiffed at pitch after soft toss pitch in the cage. He'll be fine tomorrow
OutdoorAg
AG
So yesterday evening we went out in the backyard and hit wiffle balls. I made up some games for him to just have fun with it. He started off with his swing still screwed up and missing every ball thrown. He is pretty good batting from the left side too, so I told him to hit left handed. He immediately started hitting he ball hard. After about 10 pitches I told him to go back to the right side, and he was able to hit the ball without a problem. At practice tonight he was back to his old self. Glad he was able to work it out.
Harry Dunne
That's a relief, it would have been complicated designating him for assignment.
OutdoorAg
AG
It's good to know this board is like every other board on Texags. It's a combination of good guys mixed in with some real a-holes.
94chem
Worked for me. I told him to pay attention and drive the ball or we were going home. A couple of line shot whiffle balls through the box, and no more problems. But then again, we weren't getting ready for the dad-pitch state tourney. You're actually falling behind. I knew people taking their 6 year old to a soccer tournament in Florida.
10andBOUNCE
AG
He's thinking too much. Or is putting pressure on himself or has pressure coming from elsewhere. Maybe all of the above.
03_Aggie
OutdoorAg said:

It's good to know this board is like every other board on Texags. It's a combination of good guys mixed in with some real a-holes.

And apparently sensitive folks too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.