Trade Correa?

7,976 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TonySoprano
KC_Ag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious to see what the baseball fans, particularly fellow Astros fans, think of this. Found myself thinking about what the next step is for the organization in a couple years when contracts are up and they can't afford to sign everyone. I kept coming back to the idea of trading Correa.

Hear me out. I love Correa. I think he's a great player and is a pivotal part to the Astros growth into a championship franchise. I'm thinking of this totally from a baseball business standpoint. With Correa being a #1 overall pick, I think a lot of the consensus about him was that he was a generational talent similar to A-Rod. At this point in his career, A-Rod had already shown us he was on track to be just that. I don't think I can say the same for Carlos. I think he is a very good player. A hard working, team first guy who I love having on the team. But in my opinion, his value will never be higher than what it is now or next year. He's going to want a boatload of money, and the Stros have Bregman who could slide over and play short. Maybe you get a top notch young corner infielder and starting pitching prospect back for him.

Just wanting to stir up conversation and see what y'all thought! Am I nuts???
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
if I'm reading baseball reference correctly...Correa won't be a free agent until after the 2021 season. Nothing will happen before then. He will be a bargain salary-wise for the next 3 years
Ag_07
AG
Can't believe I'm entertaining this with a response.

But how in the hell is his value the highest when he's had a subpar 1st half and currently on the DL?

Now put the bottle down and ask staff to delete this thread before anyone else has a chance to chime in.

Also...ARod was juicing out his ass. So yeah he put up big numbers. They don't mean shlt especially to compare current players to.
mosesrab90
AG
No secret Correa wants to play in LA or NY. Loves the limelight but he better start hitting.
astros4545
AG
Never heard of your username before

Gonna assume the OP is 14 years old
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc
AG

CSWendt
Trade? No.
Nuts? Yes.
KC_Ag14
AG
Sorry, don't live on TA because of the responses like yours. How about instead of y'all posting gifs, provide some intelligent alternatives or feedback on how this team doesn't turn out to be a 2-3 year flash in the pan? This isn't a video game, these guys are going to want their money at some point, and a young premiere shortstop especially.

To the only user who provided any feedback of substance, Correa is up for arbitration starting after next season and each season until 2021. Meaning he's going to get a big pay raise sooner than later. My question is: with the injuries and such, is it more worth it to spend the money to keep him and lose maybe a Springer or see what you can get back for him?
DVC2010
AG
DallsAg92 sock? City+Ag+number. It makes sense.
CreedBratton
KC_Ag14 said:

Sorry, don't live on TA because of the responses like yours. How about instead of y'all posting gifs, provide some intelligent alternatives or feedback on how this team doesn't turn out to be a 2-3 year flash in the pan? This isn't a video game, these guys are going to want their money at some point, and a young premiere shortstop especially.

To the only user who provided any feedback of substance, Correa is up for arbitration starting after next season and each season until 2021. Meaning he's going to get a big pay raise sooner than later. My question is: with the injuries and such, is it more worth it to spend the money to keep him and lose maybe a Springer or see what you can get back for him?

We're not entertaining the question because it's silly. He's under contract for another 3.5 years, and his value is really low right now because of a slow half and current DL stint. So trading him would provide no benefit to our team long term or short term
_lefraud_
AG
You're definitely nuts, but when would you look to trade him? What kind of package would you expect to get back if you trade him before 2020?

You're nuts.
astros4545
AG
Trading him would be a great way to shorten our window

We could finally bring up Tommy Manzella for everyday action
mazag08
AG
Forget Correa, trade Altuve! His value he never been higher!
bigag83
AG
Given club control 3 additional seasons, nothing will happen with Correa. My belief is the club will try and sign him to a long term deal this winter or prior to next season so perhaps we will know a bit more then. You are correct, payroll is going to jump with Bregman and Springer making high arbitration dollars, but with attendance up and likely going to stay up, ownership should be able to handle $150 to $180 million payroll. Also, GM Luhnow has proven he knows how to build a fruitful system so there will be additional stud prospects coming. It is hard to imagine all these guys signing long term contracts in Houston but I do not think Correa is traded until 2020 at earliest (if at all) and probably more like 2021 should it become obvious he wants to test free agency (Machado situation this season, he will get traded in his walk year and Orioles will still get an excellent return).
JTatter88
Ag_07
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

feedback on how this team doesn't turn out to be a 2-3 year flash in the pan?

Because they've done a great job at staggering guys. They've got stud vets signed for a couple more years and will be off the books when the young guys will need their big contracts.

Just look at the rotation...

JV signed for one more year
Cole signed for one more year
Lance signed until 2021
Morton will most likely be back for couple more
Whitley down on the farm ready to come up soon

Same with the lineup...

Altuve is locked up for the rest of his career
Bregman is locked up until 2022
Yuli is locked up until 2021
Correa locked up until 2021
Reddick locked up until 2021
Tucker now up so he's locked in for a while
Springer locked in until 2020

Some turnover is expected, but the core of this team isn't going anywhere for the next few years. Hardly a flash in the pan.
E
AG
"Fellow Astros fans"

Well you're the only "Astros" fan that thinks it's a good idea to trade Correa.

You don't trade away a future all-star and major impact player on your team in the height of your "strike while hot" days! Absolutely no reason.
AustinCountyAg
What a terrible idea of a thread to start. I'm assuming this guy thinks he has trade value based on his # of games played? GTFO Dallasag
BMX Bandit
Quote:

This isn't a video game,

Which is exactly why trading Correa at this point is a mindless proposition.
The Milkman
AG
mosesrab90 said:

No secret Correa wants to play in LA or NY. Loves the limelight but he better start hitting.
Its no secret? He said alot lately that indicates that?
ORAggieFan
Ag_07 said:

Also...ARod was juicing out his ass. So yeah he put up big numbers. They don't mean shlt especially to compare current players to.

He didn't juice until he got to Texas. His numbers with the Mariners are legit.
W
AG
yes, Luhnow has done a great job staggering the roster salary-wise/age-wise and avoiding the cumbersome contracts to older players
mhayden
ORAggieFan said:

Ag_07 said:

He didn't juice until he got to Texas. His numbers with the Mariners are legit.
mhayden
And ignoring that it's a silly conversation to be having right now as Houston isn't even going to start thinking about it for a few more years, what happens with Correa will be dependent on if the Astros franchise wants to spend like a Top 5 team or not or if they will stick in the #10-#15 range.

Unless they want to spend like a Top 5 team, then in a few years it will be prudent to start considering a trade of at least one of the young studs.
Ag_07
AG
free_mhayden said:

Unless they want to spend like a Top 5 team, then in a few years it will be prudent to start considering a trade of at least one of the young studs.

IF the decision is made to not spend like that (the Altuve contract tells me they're willing to spend) then they'll just let them walk in FA.

The only time you trade away young studs is when you're in rebuild mode and feel like you're wasting their prime years because they aren't surrounded by a competitive team.
mhayden
Ag_07 said:

free_mhayden said:

IF the decision is made to not spend like that (the Altuve contract tells me they're willing to spend) then they'll just let them walk in FA.

The only time you trade away young studs is when you're in rebuild mode and feel like you're wasting their prime years because they aren't surrounded by a competitive team.

Answer probably in the middle of the two... I should have elaborated that you obviously aren't going to trade someone producing at a high clip in a year you are a title contender.

But if you aren't a likely ALCS-caliber team and you aren't going to be able to afford the players, then the prudent thing to do is consider trading them and getting good value out of their last few months rather than just letting them walk.
Mathguy64
AG
Between this and the fox thread on the OB, a whole lot of drunk and stupid was going on last night.
AustinAg2K
As for the question about how the Astros continue to keep the farm system stocked, I think they'll use guys like Josh Reddick, Jake Marisnick (although he value is very low right now), and Colin McHugh to restock the farm system. You're not going to get the same as Correa, obviously, but you'll get talent and if you evaluate well, that could be some solid players in return.

I don't see the Astros trading any of their stars, though. Houston has shown they will support the Astros when they win, and right now the Astros are winning. They'll likely top 3 million in attendance this year, and unless something dramatically changes the next several years, I suspect they'll support a much higher payroll than we've historically seen. Forbes said the Astros had $345 million in revenue last year, and a profit of $77 million. That should allow them to support a much higher payroll. They can't support a high payroll when they lose like the Yankees and Red Sox, but they can support a high payroll (top 5-10) as long as they are winning.
mhayden
Guys like Reddick and McHugh will get you some mid-level guys, but they aren't going to significantly re-stock anyone's system in this era of trading.

They may decide to allow them to walk instead of trading, but there's really no payroll magic Houston can pull off to keep all of their stars. Altuve/Bregman/Correa combined will command upwards of $60m+/year and Houston would need to construct 22 players around them (including an entire rotation). Top draft picks panning out is important, but the flipside is if they pan out they are going to get paid win their arb window is coming to a close.

It's just not something that you see teams not named the Yankees/RedSox/Dodgers be able to do. Normal teams have to make the tough decisions.
Deluxe
AG
Maybe you think about it in 2020 if:

1) Cole has agreed to a lucrative new deal
2) Springer, McCullers and Bregman have agreed to lucrative extensions
3) JV is still pitching well and we're paying him ~$25-30mm/yr on a series of 1-2 year deals
4) Yordan and/or Tucker don't pan out like we hope so we have to pay up for a 1B and/or OF via free agency
5) Correa has made it known that he has no interest in an extension and will be taking highest offer after 2021
6) We're able to find the right trade partner. Hard to imagine us trading him to a fellow AL contender
aTm2004
AG
kb2001
AG
Correa will most likely be traded before he hits free agency. He has stated numerous times he will not sign a contract extension until he's a FA, he most likely has every intention of going to NYY. Get something for him before he leaves on his own. The timing for such a trade would be after '20 season or mid '21 season
Johnny Armstrong
As long as the Astros are in contention, Correa ain't going anywhere. We'll talk about Free Agency much much later
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.