Cano suspended 80 games

2,352 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toucan82
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mariners' Robinson Cano to be suspended 80 games for violating drug agreement
toucan82
Sweet, the Rangers might be able to catch the Mariners now
Ag_07
AG
Just thinking big picture here...Does this affect his HOF resume?

He was certainly on a HOF track and I'm thinking that a positive PED test pretty much shut the door on that happening.

From MLBTR...

Quote:

Cano was suspended for a diuretic known as furosemide that is prohibited by the JDA as a masking agent, as Jon Heyman of Fan Rag tweeted and the league has since announced. Though he did not technically test positive for a PED, then, the effect is the same.

Cano has issued a statement through the MLBPA (Twitter link) in which he says the "substance was given to [him] by a licensed doctor in the Dominican Republic to treat a medical ailment."

The Milkman
AG
Why any of these guys with so much on the line would trust a doctor outside of the US is beyond me
Ag_07
AG
The Milkman said:

Why any of these guys with so much on the line would trust a doctor outside of the US is beyond me

I don't think he trusted anyone. I think he took a diuretic to mask PED use.

I'm not an MD but I don't see any reason why he would need to take a medication that would make him increase urine production or alter the chemistry of his piss.

I'm just not buying it.
NotGibbs
Mathguy64
AG
By the time Cano is on the clock I think it will be decided one way or the other. You have ARod and I think more importantly Big Papi coming up. The writers I think will desperately want to induct Ortiz and he's got that positive test from 2003 sitting there like an albatross. If they induct him but not Bonds and Clemens who had no actual positive tests or ARod who did they will get hammered for the inconsistency.
AgDoc03
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Milkman said:

I don't think he trusted anyone. I think he took a diuretic to mask PED use.

I'm not an MD but I don't see any reason why he would need to take a medication that would make him increase urine production or alter the chemistry of his piss.

I'm just not buying it.
I am and I posed the question on another thread about what condition he could possibly have that would require treatment with a medication most commonly used for congestive heart failure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I am and I posed the question on another thread about what condition he could possibly have that would require treatment with a medication most commonly used for congestive heart failure.

That's exactly why I don't buy it.

I just don't see anyone who has a condition that would require diuretics (heart failure, liver cirrhosis, kidney disease) playing MLB at a high level and putting up HOF numbers.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm not saying I think Robinson Cano has kidney disease, but just for the record, there are a lot of accomplished athletes that fought with kidney disease during their playing days.
Harry Dunne
ESPN article

Quote:

MLB said Cano's time on the disabled list will count toward his 80-game suspension. Baseball's drug program doesn't distinguish between a healthy and unhealthy player. However, he will lose salary -- $11.85 million of his $24 million deal for 2018, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell -- and is ineligible for the postseason and the All-Star Game.
That's a lot of salary, but it's a crock that the hand was going to keep him out until maybe mid-July and now he comes back in early August, if I'm doing the math right.
_lefraud_
AG
I don't think it does, unless he's unable to reach 3,000 hits, then it could get dicey.
Harry Dunne
Why do you think this will be different than Bonds, McGwire, etc.?

If anything, this is less forgivable than those guys. As it turns out, in that era it was the guys that got caught and the guys that didn't get caught but you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that most superstars weren't juicing.

I don't think there is any chance Cano gets in until they "forgive" the roid era guys and he maybe doesn't even get in after that.
_lefraud_
AG
Well yea, I should have put a disclaimer. Arod is key, if he doesn't get in, then yea, Cano is doubtful. I assume Arod gets in, maybe even Bonds/Clemens also.
Ag_07
AG
I think this is more like ARod, Palmeiro, Braun than it is Clemens or Bonds.

Clemens and Bonds have never tested positive. It's always just assumed given the mounds of eveidence but they had a failed test on their record.

This is a guy who was on a HOF trajectory that now had a positive test. I don't think he gets in with this now on his record. ARod has the benefit of all time great numbers that would convince someone that he needs to eventually be in. Cano while great doesn't (or won't) have the kind of numbers that would convince the writers to forgive and forget.
W
AG
Cano might get in someday...perhaps by the veterans committee...but it's going to be a while now.

the question becomes...did he just start using supplements and masking agents in 2018? Or has this been going on for several seasons / years?
W
AG
Cano's suspension also continues the trend of just about every notable Latin American slugger from the steroid era...testing positive at some point in their career. Cano debuted in 2005...right at the end
BMX Bandit
Do people forget Bonds testifies under oath he used PEDs? There's no dispute on him.
mhayden
W said:

Cano's suspension also continues the trend of just about every notable Latin American slugger from the steroid era...testing positive at some point in their career. Cano debuted in 2005...right at the end

I'll take "What has a ton of upside and very little downside for $240m, Alex."
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

I just don't see anyone who has a condition that would require diuretics (heart failure, liver cirrhosis, kidney disease) playing MLB at a high level and putting up HOF numbers.
Also used to treat sodium sensitive high blood pressure which is the most common kind of high blood pressure among young black males. Heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, etc. are the end result of untreated high blood pressure. That being said, it should be noted that there are several other blood pressure medications that could have been used in the place of furosemide (Lasix).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
toucan82
toucan82 said:

Sweet, the Rangers might be able to catch the Mariners now

What a dumbass
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.