Carlos Stanton, wow!

7,516 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Max Power
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw a montage of pitches he swung and missed tonight. Seen plenty of hitters slump but never one with the yips. He is litteraly closing his eyes and swinging while backing out on every pitch. Right now any rookie league player is a better hitter. NY fans are going to eat him alive.
Ag_07
AG
Who?
Agnzona
Giancarlo. Got caught with a auto correct.
titanmaster_race
Link?
Agnzona
I was in a bar. It as MLB network or ESPN. I think MLB.
Harry Dunne
_lefraud_
AG
Hitting more like Mike Stanton, amirite?

I still call him Mike Stanton fwiw.
MAROON
AG
And he just made a comical play in left field at Fenway
Charlie Conway
MAROON said:

And he just made a comical play in left field at Fenway
https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/04/13/1931895383/1523579157228/asset_1800K.mp4
MAROON
AG
thanks - watched it live and was dying laughing. Plus my fantasy player (Bradley) got credited with a double and an rbi!
Bobcat-Ag
Agnzona said:

Just saw a montage of pitches he swung and missed tonight. Seen plenty of hitters slump but never one with the yips. He is litteraly closing his eyes and swinging while backing out on every pitch. Right now any rookie league player is a better hitter. NY fans are going to eat him alive.
Please share the link!
wbt5845
AG
Ag_07
AG
wbt5845 said:

W
AG
the Stanton contract was insane and will continue to be for its entire duration.

what's interesting looking at his stats...he's not drawing walks.

only 7 walks in 75 plate appearances. Which means opposing pitchers are not afraid to pitch to him. Not scared at all
94chem
Time to send him back to the farm team?
tjack16
AG
https://twitter.com/****BsbPlyrsSay/status/984979579486941184
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

the Stanton contract was insane and will continue to be for its entire duration.

only 7 walks in 75 plate appearances. Which means opposing pitchers are not afraid to pitch to him. Not scared at all
Yeah, but he's also never drawn just a ton of walks. 9.3% is league average/slightly above the league average and he's swung at a bunch of crap.
Bregxit
AG
W said:

What's interesting looking at his stats is home/away split. Talk about antipodal! .086 at home, .323 on the road.

Could he have an issue seeing the ball in Yankee Stadium? He only played two games there in his career prior to this season (2-8 1HR 2K).
Ag_07
AG
The cold maybe.

Cali guy playing in Miami his whole career now up in NY with unseasonably cold temps so far.
TXAggie2011
AG
Its a strange split. They have that scoreboard up there in dead center field but that's not totally atypical for a MLB ballpark. He's hit pretty well at other ballparks that have a dead center scoreboard. Maybe the height of it is just right.

I think maybe he's began the year pressing particularly hard in front of the home fans, and its just snowballing into a bigger mental problem.

TXAggie2011
AG
Ag_07 said:

The cold maybe.

Cali guy playing in Miami his whole career now up in NY with unseasonably cold temps so far.
That was getting thrown around but then he went up to Boston last week in cold weather and had a pretty good series.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

The cold maybe.

Maybe. But then again, he has never been a great hitter anyway. He just happened to hit a boatload of dingers last year.
TXAggie2011
AG
dlance said:

Ag_07 said:

The cold maybe.

Maybe. But then again, he has never been a great hitter anyway. He just happened to hit a boatload of dingers last year.
He's got a career .911 OPS and 145 OPS+. He has a 30.4 career oWAR.

At the least, he's been a pretty good hitter.
Bregxit
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

dlance said:

Ag_07 said:

The cold maybe.

Almost half of his oWAR came from two good seasons. The other 6 seasons he was slightly above starter level. Career .267 hitter with some pop. Two 100+ RBI seasons, never got to 90 the other 6. Meh.
Ag_07
AG
I'd take that meh hitter on my team any damn day of the week.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ok? There are many "meh" hitters we could say that about though. My point is he isn't a "great" hitter. Comparing numbers, he is slightly ahead of an Adam Dunn type.
TXAggie2011
AG
dlance said:

TXAggie2011 said:

dlance said:

Ag_07 said:

The cold maybe.

Almost half of his oWAR came from two good seasons. The other 6 seasons he was slightly above starter level. Career .267 hitter with some pop. Two 100+ RBI seasons, never got to 90 the other 6. Meh.
Well, remember that WAR is cumulative.

Most players in the league would kill to have a 4.3 oWAR in only 123 games in 2012. Or a 3.3 oWAR in 116 games in 2013. Or, certainly, a 2.8 oWAR in only 74 games in 2015.

I think one can question his ability to stay healthy and play a full season, but when he plays, I think he's been a pretty good, if not great, hitter.
W
AG
Ag_07 said:

yes, and at a much, much lower salary. That's the issue. And that's going to be the issue.

his production will probably be okay for a guy in the $10 MM to $15 MM range of salary. Maybe $20 MM in some years. But $30 MM is absurd
Agnzona
That goes until he is 38 the last 4-5 years will be horrible on the cost/production spreadsheet.

His road stats are not bad but at Yankee stadium. Through 8 games, 39 ABs, 20 strikeouts, 1 HR and BA of .086.
TXAggie2011
AG
Tonight must have been annoying for the Astros fans in this thread.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Not really. Being shutout for the second game in a row is the frustrating part. Stanton didn't move the needle in that regard.
Johnsy3
AG
Exactly. And they weren't bad pitches that he hit out - he's just a beast
Ag_07
AG
He did exactly what has been discussed here and many expected.

He was what 0-7 with 6 Ks up until last night when he hit 3 XBHs.
W
AG
Giancarlo rolled past 50 K's over the weekend.

on pace to fan 250 times this season
W
AG
it's a good time to check in with Giancarlo at the break...

current numbers ---> 23 HR, 55 RBI, .864 OPS, and 130 K's.

he's on pace for 39 HR & 95 RBI...and over 200 K's.

obviously going to come up short of last year's numbers: 59 HR & 132 RBI...and 1.007 OPS
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.