MLB rules on pitching change

1,419 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
Aggie1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over the weekend at the Braves/Phillies game some sort of screw up happened in the Phillies dugout where the manager Gabe Kapler called for a relief pitcher when there wasn't one up and ready already.

To avoid a injury to the player, the umps allowed him extra time to warm up beyond what the rules state. They even tossed the Braves manager for arguing this.

I'm on board with not wanting to affect player health, but still think any team that makes this mistake should be punished in some way. What are ways that this board thinks would be appropriate to punish the team without affecting player safety? Would starting the next batter with a hitter friendly count be enough? Batter gets a walk?
Ag_07
AG
Don't let it happen. That's BS. I'd be livid too

If they don't wanna injure the player then keep the pitcher in for a bit longer and let him warm up in the BP.
The Milkman
AG
I think the solution would be to eject the incoming pitcher for his own safety. That punishes the team and should give enough time for someone else to be warmed up
gougler08
AG
The Milkman said:

I think the solution would be to eject the incoming pitcher for his own safety. That punishes the team and should give enough time for someone else to be warmed up
That would be hilarious to see a guy trot out of the bullpen and the ump waiting there to toss him
The Milkman
AG
From what I see online and hear from my family in PA, Phillies fans dont seem to thrilled with Kapler.
Aggie1205
AG
It's fair to say Kapler had a really bad opening weekend.

What if a team lost two mound visits for the delay now that those are tracked.
JJxvi
AG
That's because it's been a circus so far, to the point Kapler appears incompetent. Not only has there been the aforementioned bullpen gaffe, but the Phillies have also ended up using a position player on the mound in that game. It was the 3rd game of the freaking season. In the first game of the season he pulled his starting pitcher after 5 and a third of 3 hit ball with a 5 run lead, and SIX relievers combined to blow the lead after that. I think he also benched several of his young players that are expected to be starters in the opening day lineup.
Aggie1205
AG
As a Braves fan I have no issues with Kapler.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kapler is pretty much the definition of a meathead
W
AG
does he "oil up" before heading out to the mound?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.