Rusty Staub, RIP

1,008 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hamburger Dan
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rusty Staub

Great guy and an Astro favorite in their early days.

His trade has to be the worst in Astros history. At least when they traded Joe Morgan they got something in return.

I still hate Don Clendennon and Bowie Kuhn for that.
MAROON
AG
RIP Le Grande Orange

One of my childhood heroes
KT 90
AG
RIP Rusty. He had a good overall career.

W
AG
Le Grande Orange indeed
W
AG
hitting .333 in 1967 while playing half your games in the Astrodome...was no easy feat
Know Your Enemy
AG
I always remember him as one of the greatest pinch hitters ever.
Propane & Accessories
AG
I know the Mets are honoring him with his number stenciled on the mound, is there any word that the Astros or Nationals doing anything to honor his memory?
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=staubru01

Ted Williams and Duke Snider both described Rusty Staub as one of the greatest pure hitters they had ever seen.

First player with 500+ hits with four different major-league teams.

One of four players to hit a homerun as a teenager and after turning 40.

Had at least one homerun in all 23 years he played, third longest for consecutive years with a homer.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
I can't find a reference, but I remember long ago a commentator saying that, in high school, Rusty's "home run average" was .300
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
The trade was not Clendenon's fault. And I admire the guy for having the guts to refuse to report.
McInnis
AG
Of course the trade wasn't Clendenon's fault. But it was his fault that he decided to retire instead of reporting, and then changed his mind and " un-retired" . He very richly deserved the millions of boos he heard at every one of his at bats in the Astrosome for the rest of his career.
Hamburger Dan
As a kid I lived in far north Texas - every year we traveled to The Houston area for a family reunion, where we would get to see a couple of Astros games. I know all these guys didn't overlap, but Staub, Radar, Wynn, Cedeno, Richards, and of course Joe Morgan were all guys I became a fan of over the years. I thought the Astrodome was the coolest thing I had ever seen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.