Little League Basics Teaching Question

1,766 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 8 yr old is starting his 3rd year in LL this year. He'll be playing city league with the 8-10 group. For an 8 yr old I think he's pretty good (not amazing, but above average). But in this age group I think he'll definitely feel like he's a little behind.

One question in particular for the board as baseball has always just been a casual observation sport for me rather than something I'm really into unlike my kid.

Is it correct to teach him that as a base runner he needs to simply look for a ground ball vs a pop fly. If its a ground ball he should always run no matter what to the next base. If its a pop up, he should always hedge towards the next base and obviously if it falls continue on, and if its caught go back to where he was. I know this sounds like an ultra basic question but really I'm asking if I should use the word "always" when saying one of those 2 rules apply.

Any other helpful advice is appreciated. Once the season gets started, I'll let the coaches take over

AustinCountyAg
tough question. A lot comes with living and learning from playing games. Hard to replicate and practice a lot of situtions. Sounds like yours on the right path though. He is only 8.

Instead of using "always" maybe say most of the time???
AustinCountyAg
Easiest way to practice baserunning imo is during a full team practice have the kids practice running situations at each base while another kid is taking bp. Tell them no outs, one out, etc.... not perfect but at least gets them thinking.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think at 8 years old, keeping it simple is best. So yes rule of thumb run on the ground and freeze in the air. This will get a little more detailed if and when he keeps playing. Also tell him to listen to first and third base coaches.

Main caveats would be at second or third and less than two outs - ball on ground behind him he'll be running on contact. In front he'll need to read the play and listen to coach at 3b. At 3b he'll need to understand when he is supposed to break for home when hit on the ground. He'll make some mistakes and learn / develop instincts as he plays - it's all part of it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
BTKAG97
AG
For fly balls, the runners action depends on the base he is on. 1st base, the majority of the time is to hedge. 3rd base, the majority of the time is to get ready to tag. 2nd base, need to learn to read the ball, but the faster the base runner is the more that runner can hedge.
astros4545
AG
I feel like at 8 years old they should have mastered the concept of when to run and when not to for all situations
The Milkman
AG
astros4545 said:

I feel like at 8 years old they should have mastered the concept of when to run and when not to for all situations
You haven't seen the majority of 8 year olds playing baseball lately then.
Jimmy Conway
The Milkman said:

astros4545 said:

You haven't seen the majority of 8 year olds playing baseball lately then.
Correct. I have coached kids on and off from ages 6-10 for a few years now and at 8 years old, I'd say maybe 1 in 10-12 knows the exact nuances of when to run and not run for every single circumstance. Even that is probably a bit generous. Hell, even major leaguers sometimes don't know!
DannyDuberstein
AG
At that age, even with some of the kids that seem to understand better than others, their brain tends to shut off when that ball gets put into play.
coach_pope
AG
honestly the best way i have learned is have him watch a lot of baseball. Local high school or college games in person or college or pro's on tv. They have to enjoy it to be worth while but if they observe and listen to you or the announcers on tv they will really start to pick up on what they see the older guys doing.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

I've seen high school kids make major runner blunders.
Know Your Enemy
AG
astros4545 said:

You're out of your ******* mind.
BMX Bandit
8 year olds haven't mastered anything, but they can easily be taught the correct way to run the bases on a pop up or fly ball.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Easy with some. Not as easy with the ones that offload their brain as soon as a ball is in play.
HECUBUS
AG
Mine got baseball from a Mario Bros Wii game. He played since he was four, but really got the game from that silly video game. The first baseball game he watched was the regional championship game ATM vs. Arizona in 2011 when he was nine. That was the last game in old Olsen and man was that team loaded. The next game he witnessed was the SEC record 21st win against Auburn in 2015, the day they stopped serving Bluebell ice cream in Bluebell Park.

He became a huge Stros fan (against my advice) that year. So all he had was a few hours of video games to take him all the way through Little League.

Bassmaster
AG
HECUBUS said:

Mine got baseball from a Mario Bros Wii game. He played since he was four, but really got the game from that silly video game. The first baseball game he watched was the regional championship game ATM vs. Arizona in 2011 when he was nine. That was the last game in old Olsen and man was that team loaded. The next game he witnessed was the SEC record 21st win against Auburn in 2015, the day they stopped serving Bluebell ice cream in Bluebell Park.

He became a huge Stros fan (against my advice) that year. So all he had was a few hours of video games to take him all the way through Little League.

You have something personal against champions?
94chem
astros4545 said:

And I feel like my wife should be simultaneously stationed in both the kitchen and the bedroom, meeting my every need while running every errand and caring for the kids. But feelings can be deceptive at times...
astros4545
AG
I guess I was just gifted for my age when I was 8
94chem
astros4545 said:

I guess I was just gifted for my age when I was 8

I'm sure you were. But it must be tough to peak at such an early age.
Gardening Ag
As a coach of 8U, just depends on the individual kid. You can practice scenarios till you're blue in the face but when a kid hits a line drive and it's caught there's a 99% chance that the base runner is going to get doubled off. You explain to the dejected base runner what happened and then you tell him good job for hustling.

94chem
Just like when a dog brings home the neighbor's newspaper. Always applaud effort and hustle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.