MLB Players contemplated boycotting springtraining

1,635 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by YokelRidesAgain
Propane & Accessories
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Players upset over lack of free agent signings

I have to admit it is a bit weird that there haven't been too many free agent signings this year.. You still have two top tier free agents in J.D Martinez and Yu. Darvish
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Ag_07
AG
Or they could lower their asking price
The Milkman
AG
Thats such a mindblowing notion business-wise.

"If no one will pay me more than I'm worth, then I'm not going to play at all"
The Milkman
AG
Also, I cant take a boycott or BS hubbub from baseball. I finally have my fiance genuinely interested in baseball and she appreciates the fact that they dont have the same garbage that the likes of the NFL goes through.

After all the goodwill and new fans that MLB has built in the last few years, they risk losing so much. I'm confident they wont, but please dont be shortsighted. (Directed at both players and owners)
W
AG
a couple of things that are going on...

first, a majority of GM's are finally seeing the light (after years and years and years) of disastrous long-term contracts to players in their 30's. Many GM's don't want to do that anymore. It's not smart business.

second, with (I believe) 5 or 6 unsigned free agents that hit at least 30 home runs last year...GM's are valuing multi-tool players (as they should)...as opposed to guys that just hit HR's...and usually strike out a ton.

perhaps call the new phenomenon the "Astros model" --- the 'stros won the championship without any cumbersome long-term deals and with a bunch of multi-tool positions players. Guys that provide power, speed, average, and defense
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

perhaps call the new phenomenon the "Astros model" --- the 'stros won the championship without any cumbersome long-term deals and with a bunch of multi-tool positions players. Guys that provide power, speed, average, and defense

Hardly a "model" invented by the Astros. And they'll have their day to reckon with free agency to test the model.

Carry on.
Ag_07
AG
Plus it's a weak market

The top position player is fackin JD Martinez. Wait till next year when Harper and Machado hit the market and we'll see GMs throwin around plenty of money.
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, I imagine a lot of this might be coming from a bunch of flawed players trying to push salary inflation just a bit too far combined with a looming, pontetially excellent free agent class.
Kampfers
AG
The problem is that players get ****ed due to the absurd rules on team control that MLB has.

Which was "fine" as long as they knew they were going to be overpaid when they hit free agency.

Now that the owners are tightening those purse strings, they're mad.

I hate the people that are like "well those long deals for FAs never work out" while never wanting to acknowledge the fact that Aaron Judge produced something like 55 million dollars worth of value last year (purely on the diamond, not even speaking about a business/jersey sales dimension) and was paid a paltry 500k for his efforts.
AustinCountyAg
Scott Boras, is that you? ^^^^
diehard03
Quote:

second, with (I believe) 5 or 6 unsigned free agents that hit at least 30 home runs last year...GM's are valuing multi-tool players (as they should)...as opposed to guys that just hit HR's...and usually strike out a ton.

The game is still trending towards the 3 true outcomes though. So I don't buy that are trying to put less HRs on their roster.

I think it's nothing more than the players are reaching their peaks faster and the incentive is not there anymore. Before, the 24 year olds were in high A ball. Now they are on the major league roster and raking. You don't need the 30 year old player. It used to be that high 20s was the prime of the baseball player.

Oddly enough though, the GMs are burying their owners for 2021. All they are doing is teaching the players to hold out until they get earlier free agency.
BTKAG97
AG
Astros successfully changed the market.
bigcat22
AG
Maybe GMs finally realized that giving big contracts to players in their 30s tends to backfire (looking at you Angels)
McInnis
AG
Gee, I wonder if the lack of interest in Darvish might be related to some kind of late season performance issue?
Ornithopter
AG
Next year's free agent class has a lot to do with the lackluster market this year. JD Martinez is very good, but Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are great. Spend your money this year, and you don't have enough to go after those guys.

I think baseball's front offices have also realized that players aren't taking steroids and having quality seasons into their late 30s. I bet 31-year old Darvish could get $25 million for three years, but the 5-6 years he's wanting means too many expensive, low-value seasons at the end of the contract.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I virtually always side with the players in labor disputes, but this one is made up. I seriously doubt that there is anything like the unity on this issue that these couple of agents are claiming.

Yu Darvish and JD Martinez could both sign nine figure contracts inside of a week. The fact that no one is willing to go 150 million plus is not evidence of collusion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.