Anyone here umpired LL games?

1,583 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texker
mike_ags_fan12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking about helping out my hometown and umpiring some games throughout the season. Love baseball and it would be cool to ump the ballfields I grew up on. What are some things I'll be looking forward to? Pro and cons? Was it fun for y'all?

TIA
astros4545
AG
That was my first job

You can look forward to loveable coaches, understanding parents
rosco511
AG
It was fun, but the overly involved parents wear on you after a while. Actually, the teenage levels tend to be the easiest and best ages to umpire because generally the kids with the craziest and loudest parents tend to quit playing by that age (either because they were not that good or pushed too hard by mom/dad and quit).
Aggie_Eric98
AG
If you go through with this I have a lot of equipment, shirts and pants I'll let go cheap.

Shin guard's, chest protector, Mark, brush, clickers, etc
The Milkman
AG
I umpire for Bellaire LL in Houston and used to few a couple others in the district since I graduated about 9 years ago. I love it and if I could do that as a full time job I would in a heartbeat. It's up there with crawfish season and Astros season as one of the things I look forward to most in the spring.

What you can expect is wildly different depending on the quality of play in the league. For example Bellaire has a lot of history of high quality play, and their parents, coaches, and kids take the game very seriously. I appreciate that to be honest because they understand more of the game than just "something didn't go our way so it's the umpires fault".

With other leagues, there may be a lot more teaching involved from the umpires. It is not uncommon to be literally teaching and explaining some rules to coaches in the middle of the game if they come out to argue something.

Either way I can't recommend it enough. Are there occasionally jackass coaches or parents? Absolutely, but not nearly as often as people might lead you to believe. The kids are fun to be around, it's great to be involved and outside, and it's baseball. What more could you want.

Disclaimer: you will definitely have an urge to go and take batting practice off of the kids every time out though I promise. It's not advised to crush dingers off of 11 years olds though.
HECUBUS
AG
Appreciate you LL umps! I used to video every pitch and when one of our parents complained about a call, I would put it in the game video. Most were correct and all too close to complain about. We had some great umpires and most parents learned not to complain in a very short time.

I'm certainly no better than any complaining parent. I just had the video proof and learned sooner than most.
coach_pope
AG
i coach in a dixie youth league and i end up having to explain the rules to the umpires half the time. sometimes they will argue when i know i am right, but i always make sure to thank them for coming out and helping the kids. I tell the kids if anything needs to be said i will do it, and if you argue with them i have a spot right next to me available on the bench for you.
Carlo4
AG
I umpires leagues for the YMCA. 1st - 4th grades in college. Zero tolerance policy on parents and coaches. Immediate ejection of any arguments.

Made my job so much easier. Focus on the game. Even got together with coaches on things to work on (like run downs, base running) as they asked my opinion.
Mathguy64
AG
I umpired 3 years while (and after) my son played LL. He switched to soccer, and I have been refereeing soccer for a while.

Its sucked getting hit by the pitch when the catcher whiffed. Periodically you get hit by a soccer ball. The big soft ball doesnt hurt nearly as much as the little hard one did.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Have great respect for the umps that take this on. I made it a point to never argue judgment calls, and the only conversation about a call would be to clarify the call and understand how they were applying it - which was very rare and only conversational. Also always kept my parents under control. Developing the kids' knowledge of the game, skills in the game, and showing them how to be a good teammate and competitor were all that mattered.

My main piece of advice other than "know to the rules" to pay particular attention to stuff that rarely or never comes up in the upper levels (what you may be used to watching) but is much more common the lower youth leagues. Perfect example is when to call interference when a ball hits a runner. Everyone thinks the runner is out if a batted ball hits them, but if the IF is playing in front of the baseline (not uncommon for youth leagues, especially early elementary) and the ball passes the fielder before hitting the runner, it's not interference. It's a situation that is sure to come up at some point, and is also sure to not be understood by anyone on either team. So you have to be prepared to call it correctly and then explain it.
The Milkman
AG
Great advice about understanding some of the rules you don't see much at a higher level.

The details on interference and obstruction are two of the biggest that come up that coaches love to ask for, and rookie umpires will call very liberally.

Also, you will need to gauge the relationship for coaches, umpires, and players. When I was first starting I remember giving a tip to a player between innings while they were warming up, and I heard it from the opposing coach about helping out the other team. I've also heard from other umpires in a similar situation who have heard from coaches along the lines of "I'll coach my players; dont talk to them". Some more casual leagues will welcome umpires offering helpful advice though.

The only time I will chime in now is to tell a coach between innings something that I've seen that might end up with a kid getting hurt, e.g. the catcher setting up to far forward and potentially taking a swing off the head.
The Milkman
AG
Oh yeah... and learn a few good "diffusing phrases" like "Are you asking about a judgement call?" I've never seen a coach know how to respond to "you know... you might be right..."
I-Haul
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

If you go through with this I have a lot of equipment, shirts and pants I'll let go cheap.

Shin guard's, chest protector, Mark, brush, clickers, etc
My son wants to give it a go. I am going to be his partner to counsel him through how to deal with tough parents, etc.

Where are you located, Eric?
college of AG
AG
I ump'd recreational leagues for about 4 years. I loved it. Fun time with the community and teaching a little.

Always pay attention, other "not so ready" umpires will hang you out. I was behind the plate and had the field ump point to me on a steal at second base. He didn't see the guy take off and totally missed the play. BE READY .. it will happen..

I haven't since our kids got active in things because of the time, but there will be a day I pick it back up.

I also have all the gear (minus shoes) in M/L and will be happy to pass it all along for a nominal fee.

edit for location - in Livingston
Aggie_Eric98
AG
In North Texas, Frisco area
ABATTBQ87
AG
Became a taso umpire the same year I began umpiring Little League baseball so that I could diffuse situations by being in the correct position and knowing the rules and situations and coaching the coaches whenever they umpired because little league love their volunteer umpires

If you have time I would recommend you go the taso route as well because you'll get to do a lot of freshman and JV games your first year and that will help you transition into the Juniors and majors of Little League
Texker
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Became a taso umpire the same year I began umpiring Little League baseball so that I could diffuse situations by being in the correct position and knowing the rules and situations and coaching the coaches whenever they umpired because little league love their volunteer umpires

If you have time I would recommend you go the taso route as well because you'll get to do a lot of freshman and JV games your first year and that will help you transition into the Juniors and majors of Little League
Yep.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.