So Beltran will not...

2,598 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgsMyDude
screw-tu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Be our next bench coach. Any place to put him in the organization? He sounds like he's leaning toward retirement (justifiably so), but wants to be around tge game. Any thoughts?
BowSowy
AG
This DEFINITELY deserved its own thread
BMX Bandit
BowSowy said:

This DEFINITELY deserved its own thread

Deep breaths. Will be okay.
03_Aggie
Sounded like he wanted to take a year off if he didn't sign in with a team.
screw-tu
Sounds like the new guy will be able to connect with out young Latino players. I know they loved and resoected Carlos. Not a bad way to go out for him.
astros4545
AG
Bench coaches are a dime a dozen

Could not care less whether he remains with team
W
AG
fair to wonder if the hurricane (that hit Puerto Rico) has him thinking about playing another year if he can get paid $8 to $10 MM or so.

more that he could give to charity / hurricane relief
Bluff Rat
AG
After game 7 he stated he wanted to return for another year to play and didn't want to coach just yet
AstroAggie15
AG
astros4545 said:

Do you not realize what he meant to this team?
astros4545
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

astros4545 said:

How could I? Can you please quantitate it? Other than 14homers and a .230 average
Beat40
astros4545 said:

AstroAggie15 said:

astros4545 said:

How could I? Can you please quantitate it? Other than 14homers and a .230 average
Well, if you have watched any interviews with Correa and Altuve, you would have some idea. Correa credits a lot of this season to Beltran. Correa almost went as far as to say Beltran was the reason he got the double to the gap off Chapman that scored Altuve in Game 2 of the ALCS.

Would Correa have performed this well if Beltran was not here - probably. However, I do think Beltran has had a significant impact to both Correa and Altuve.

This doesn't mean we HAVE keep him around. But it also doesn't mean you can just flippantly cast him aside. Managing people is a big part of the game too - and if Beltran helped to settle Correa this season, that's a decent impact to the ball club.
AstroAggie15
AG
astros4545 said:

AstroAggie15 said:

astros4545 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/houston-astros-carlos-beltran-carlos-correa-alcs
AgsMyDude
AG
astros4545 said:

AstroAggie15 said:

astros4545 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/15/justin-verlander-astros-yankees-alcs

Quote:

Beltran first learned about the drill from Barry Bonds, after Beltran was traded from the Mets to the Giants in 2011. Bonds, out of baseball then, showed Beltran the drill as a way to hit high velocity.
Following Beltran into the cage Saturday was Houston shortstop Carlos Correa. The Astros signed Beltran last December as much for his wisdom as for his bat. Correa has been one of the many young Astros under his counsel. In spring training, Beltran showed Correa the drill. Correa has been using the drill all year.
Which player was the better Detroit Tigers starting pitcher? Source: Sportradar
"It's made a big difference," Correa said before Game 2, when he was about to face the game's hardest throwing starter pitcher, Luis Severino. "I know against his velocity all I have to do is get the barrel to the ball. I don't need to supply any power myself."
Bonds to Beltran to Correaan unbroken line of shared wisdom, the way baseball and its intricacies have been shared generation after generation.
Hitting elite velocity would just so happen to be the key to beating the Yankees, who have pushed people around this year with the hardest throwing staff in recorded history (average heater: 94.5 mph). This is how the Astros beat New York in Game 2 from the offensive side:
* Correa, with his abbreviated swing, punched a 99.3 mph fourth-inning fastball from Severino over the wall in rightfield for a home run. It was the fastest pitch ever hit for a postseason home run since StatCast technology began in 2015.
* Jose Altuve stepped in against Aroldis Chapman, the hardest-throwing dude on the planet, in the ninth inning of a 1-1 game, and promptly smacked the very first pitch, a 100 mph fastball, into centerfield for a singlean impossibility for anyone but this hitting savant who bats .438 against pitches 95 and above.
* Six pitches later, Correa whacked a 99.3 mph fastball from Chapman into the gap in rightcenter, scoring Altuve with the winning run.
"See," Correa said with a sly grin. "I told you it works."

The average major league fastball these days is 93 miles an hour. No team is better at slugging against above-average velocity (94+) than Houston (.485). Even throwing fireballers Severino, Tommy Kahnle, David Robertson and Chapman, New York was able to strike out only four Astrosonly the seventh time in 170 games this year the Yankees struck out so few batters. The Yankees can't get fastballs past these superb Houston hitters, the toughest bunch of hombres to strike out in all of baseball this year.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.