Charlie Morton

4,210 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by W
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gets the win in game 7 of the ALCS, gets the win for game 7 of the World Series. We owe this man for life, should never have to pay for another beer again. Lots of different bats stepped up different times but 2 game 7 wins, incredible.
screw-tu
What a series Charlie had. Almost wouldn't mi d if George split that MVP with him. We don't do it without Charlie!
aquaboss98
AG
Curious how he was credited with the win. I thought whoever the pitcher was when the lead was gained and if retained was credited with the win. Is there a rule on pitching the majority of the game? Just curious.
Gig 'Em '98

AustinAg2K
If the starter doesn't goo five innings then its up to the official scorer to decide who gets the win.
awall11
AG
aquaboss98 said:

Curious how he was credited with the win. I thought whoever the pitcher was when the lead was gained and if retained was credited with the win. Is there a rule on pitching the majority of the game? Just curious.
When the starter doesn't go 5, it can go to the guy the official scorer deems as the most effective pitcher.
AggieBQ95
AG
I'd say the official scorer chose wisely!
Beat40
What was cool in the locker room celebration is Sparky said he got the win while interviewing Charlie, and Charlie said, "I did?"

That is awesome.
Schrute
Beat40 said:

What was cool in the locker room celebration is Sparky said he got the when while interviewing Charlie, and Charlie said, "I did?"

That is awesome.
Pretty much defines this team's attitude.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Knew the game was over when Charlie stepped to the plate at the top of the ninth.
RangerRick9211
AG
Dude's 33 and throwing 4.5 mph faster than when he came into the league.

Link
DriftwoodAg
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Dude's 33 and throwing 4.5 mph faster than when he came into the league.

Link
I read a good article this morning with a quote from him saying he just started trying to throw harder. I wish I could find the link
DriftwoodAg
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-series-game-7-unlikely-astros-pitcher-got-final-092454932.html?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=yahoosports&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social
gambochaman
AG
He looked so completely subdued in his post game interview....dude is freaking weird and I could not be happier to have him dealing for the good guys!
irish pete ag06
AG
blindey said:

Knew the game was over when Charlie stepped to the plate at the top of the ninth.
I like how it appeared to me that he was instructed to not even swing. No sense in remotely risking anything. Just get ready to get 3 more outs.
irish pete ag06
AG
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/charlie-mortons-electric-stuff-has-never-been-more-electric/

That article shows a little inside of Charlie's thought process. He used sabermetrics to help him figure out how to pitch better and evaluate his results more in depth. He's a smart guy.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Morton looked locked in but with no pressure like it was any other game in the middle of July. He freakin' kicked ass!!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Max Power said:

Gets the win in game 7 of the ALCS, gets the win for game 7 of the World Series. We owe this man for life, should never have to pay for another beer again. Lots of different bats stepped up different times but 2 game 7 wins, incredible.

Pretty sure he's the only pitcher to ever win two game 7's in the same postseason.
JJxvi
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Max Power said:

Pretty sure he's the only pitcher to ever win two game 7's in the same postseason.
The 1985 Kansas City Royals are the only team to ever win two game 7's in the same postseason other than the Astros. Brett Saberhagen won game 7 of the 1985 World Series and Charlie Leibrandt won game 7 of the 1985 ALCS.
BTKAG97
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

blindey said:

I like how it appeared to me that he was instructed to not even swing. No sense in remotely risking anything. Just get ready to get 3 more outs.
He was told not to swing. AJ said so in the post game interview.
Cromagnum
AG
I will recycle the joke from The Tine board, but we need to keep the Astrodome around just so Charlie has somewhere big enough to keep his balls.
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
Saw Morton in spring training this year. we were playing the Nationals and he made Harper look stupid on strike 3. Harper was embarrassed and chewed out the Home plate umpire like it was game 7 of the WS.

My throat was hurting from an unfortunate treatment i had gone through earlier in the year but i wanted to jump up and say --if you wanted to be in full go mode you should have said yes to team USA which was in the middle of the WBC at that time

I knew by watching Morton that day he had real good stuff!!
byfLuger41
AG
Just saw Morton at the parade near Smith St:

W
AG
JJxvi said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Max Power said:

The 1985 Kansas City Royals are the only team to ever win two game 7's in the same postseason other than the Astros. Brett Saberhagen won game 7 of the 1985 World Series and Charlie Leibrandt won game 7 of the 1985 ALCS.
Great stat. I wonder how many teams have played 18 games in the postseason like the Astros did this year.

the Cubs played 17 games enroute to the title last year
Philip J Fry
Harry Dunne

Respect.
McInnis
AG
And the guy went to Hinch this year and offered to give up his spot on the All Star team to McHugh. I'll never forget that.
W
AG
you know...the 'stros will see Chuck opening weekend in Tampa.

Snell and then Morton to start the season
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.