The tag

2,886 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JJxvi
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJxvi said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

What about the guy that has his foot off the bag for 3/4 of a second instead of 1/2 a second? Should we grant pity on him, too? You can call the rule dumb if you want, but it is pretty simple.

If you're not touching the base and you're tagged then you are out. Regardless if you're an inch away or a mile away. Out.

Doesn't mean the rule is being interpreted with common sense? It's plain as day - there is only one way to interpret the rule. See paragraph 2.

Every time a team turns a double play we re-interpret what's a clear rule and decide "what's good enough."

And we do it twice. The umpire decides whether the foot was close enough to the bag and if the fielder had the ball close enough in time to whenever the foot was close enough to the bag.

MLB is asking for threads like this because in other instances, they treat the rules the same way the OP wants this rule to be treated.
You are wrong. There is no neighborhood play at second base anymore. Lead runners on double plays regular get called safe if the infielder doesnt have the ball while touching the base now and there have been video reviews of this as well. This has been in place since they started enforcing the slide rules for breaking up double plays.

I do not believe they fully got rid of the neighborhood play in functionality. It's subject to replay. They still grant leeway and you can see this when watching games.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Ag_07 said:

What about the John Jay slide into 2nd where he clearly leg whips (with contact) Murphy?

By the letter of the law I thought that was clearly interference.
Are you kidding?! They reviewed the play... Even the announcers said it was a legit slide. Jay kept in contact with the bag the entire process and was clearly in the base path. Of all the "controversial" calls, this was not one of them. Move along...
His leg coming up close to the defender's knee had me slightly worried but other than that it was 100% clean.
Ag_07
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Even the announcers said it was a legit slide.

The announcers also said the pickoff play would stand. They have nothing to do with it.

I'm just saying whether he stayed on the bag and slid in the path I thought he clearly purposely had his leg out and it made contact with Murphy.

By the law isn't that illegal? And don't think I'm saying it's a dirty slide. Just by the rule book I thought it was illegal and expected him to be called out.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ag_07 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Even the announcers said it was a legit slide.

The announcers also said the pickoff play would stand. They have nothing to do with it.

I'm just saying whether he stayed on the bag and slid in the path I thought he clearly purposely had his leg out and it made contact with Murphy.

By the law isn't that illegal?
You sure about that? I thought Darling was the first one to point out that the runner's foot popped off the bag. That's right about the time Dish lost the TBS feed for some reason so maybe I missed the end of that discussion.
TXAggie2011
AG
His foot came up but whether the tag was made is the toughie.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah they said he foot came off but they were saying the wasn't clear and concise evidence and that they play would stand.
TXAggie2011
AG
And sucks Dish lost the signal.

But surprised someone still has Dish.
JJxvi
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

JJxvi said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

What about the guy that has his foot off the bag for 3/4 of a second instead of 1/2 a second? Should we grant pity on him, too? You can call the rule dumb if you want, but it is pretty simple.

If you're not touching the base and you're tagged then you are out. Regardless if you're an inch away or a mile away. Out.

Doesn't mean the rule is being interpreted with common sense? It's plain as day - there is only one way to interpret the rule. See paragraph 2.

Every time a team turns a double play we re-interpret what's a clear rule and decide "what's good enough."

And we do it twice. The umpire decides whether the foot was close enough to the bag and if the fielder had the ball close enough in time to whenever the foot was close enough to the bag.

MLB is asking for threads like this because in other instances, they treat the rules the same way the OP wants this rule to be treated.
You are wrong. There is no neighborhood play at second base anymore. Lead runners on double plays regular get called safe if the infielder doesnt have the ball while touching the base now and there have been video reviews of this as well. This has been in place since they started enforcing the slide rules for breaking up double plays.

I do not believe they fully got rid of the neighborhood play in functionality. It's subject to replay. They still grant leeway and you can see this when watching games.
Do you watch a lot of baseball? Again, you are wrong. This is one of the most common replays you see on plays at the bases. You will see a lead runner called safe because replay showed there was a quarter inch between the IF's toe and the bag (cant remember if that particular one was Altuve or Correa). You will also see a runner called safe if the infielder threw the ball before touching the bag.

They do not "grant leeway" anymore. That was all about infielder safety and now they have changed the rules so that infielder safety is now fully enforced on the runner, so they make every double play touch the bag with the ball, and if there are some they missed, its because they got the call wrong and the manager didnt get word from his replay team to challenge it.
Schrute
God I hope the Astros don't get screwed on a call reversal without conclusive evidence. Then again the MLB sure would love Yanks/Dodgers or Yanks/Cubs....
TexasRebel
AG
bjork said:

Rizzo applied the tag on his leg and swiped through. He didn't hold the tag. The still is on the backswing of the tag.

No way there's conclusive evidence.

I didn't notice this last night on the huge projection screen, but Rizzo's knee is what knocks the foot off of the bag.
irish pete ag06
AG
You're a professional baseball player. Adapt and learn how to slide and stay on the bag. It's part of the deal. Short stops and 2nd basemen have adapted to get the actual double play now.
TXAggie2011
AG
TexasRebel said:

bjork said:

Rizzo applied the tag on his leg and swiped through. He didn't hold the tag. The still is on the backswing of the tag.

No way there's conclusive evidence.

I didn't notice this last night on the huge projection screen, but Rizzo's knee is what knocks the foot off of the bag.

Yes. And there is the other part of this: judging whether he was forced off or not.

I was about to say earlier that I'm glad the tag or not-tag wasn't on the foot that came off so we had to decide if he was not just tagged, but if he was tagged hard enough to be forced off the bag.
10andBOUNCE
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Ag_07 said:

What about the John Jay slide into 2nd where he clearly leg whips (with contact) Murphy?

By the letter of the law I thought that was clearly interference.
Are you kidding?! They reviewed the play... Even the announcers said it was a legit slide. Jay kept in contact with the bag the entire process and was clearly in the base path. Of all the "controversial" calls, this was not one of them. Move along...
Yep. Murphy had also already thrown the ball so at that point it is all about player safety. He wasn't put in danger.
screw-tu
This guy on High Heat is hilarious. And he's right. What the f@@k was this idiot doing off the bag in the first place?? He should've been camped out on top of the bag until the ball was put in play. Slow a@@ back up catcher getting a lead off first with the tying run on 2nd.
iBrad
AG
I feel about baseball replay the same I've always felt about replay in football. Use it to overturn the egregious mistakes. Once you start going frame-by-frame and syncing up camera angles, you've gone too far. Just let the play stand in those instances and play on.

Also, it's pretty asinine that you can review whether a guy's foot popped off the bag for a fraction of a second, but can't take a look to see if a guy's bat contacted the catcher's mask. If your argument is getting it right, then you should be arguing for a broader scope of replays.
Know Your Enemy
AG
There was no dispute that the bat hit the catcher's mask per the home plate umpire's explanation of that play.
JJxvi
AG
I honestly think the Nationals should have played under protest, but ultimately I'm pretty sure the call was right (or at least right in the sense that the proper rule to apply is an umpires judgement call and not automatic interference).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.