The 2017 Postseason Thread

4,128 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MaroonStain
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's get this started. 22.5 hours until Twins-Yankees in the south Bronx.

Wild Card Round:

Minnesota v New York
Santana v Severino
Wednesday, 7pm CT on ESPN

Colorado v Arizona
Gray v Grienke
Thursday, 7pm CT on TBS

Winners to Cleveland and Los Angeles.
The Milkman
AG
It physically pains me to root for the Yanks... but they have at least some small chance of beating the Indians. The Twins have 0%
Farmer1906
AG
I am rooting for the Twins. Maybe Cleveland will sweep quickly then be overly rested.
BowSowy
AG
The Milkman said:

It physically pains me to root for the Yanks... but they have at least some small chance of beating the Indians. The Twins have 0%
The Twins were 5-3 in Cleveland this year, including winning 5 of the last 6.
mike_ags_fan12
If not Houston to win it all, I am rooting for the Twins. Remarkable turnaround for them
BMX Bandit
Yankees over Twins
DBacks over Rockies

Yankees over Indians
Astros over Red Sox

Dodgers over DBacks
Nationals over Cubs

Astros over Yankees
Nationals over Dodgers

Astros over Nationals
TAZ99
AG
And the Yankee circle jerk has begun
Corporal Punishment
AG
Here's a real opportunity to sharpen your softball knowledge.

Jessica Mendoza doing color.
979ag
AG
Better than David Ross though
Ag_07
AG
Jeez...Yankees doing Yankee things
digging tunnels
AG
Twins up 3-0 in 1st. Yankees Bullpen already warming up with only 1 out
Ag_07
AG
And it's now a BP day
PhatMack19
AG
That hurts when your starter doesn't get out of the 1st inning in a 1 game playoff
Gigemags382
AG
Can anyone explain to me how the wild card games are not incredibly idiotic? 162 game season. The wild card teams are separated by 6 games in both leagues. Yet they play a one game winner take all. Dumb dumb dumb.
The Milkman
AG
BowSowy said:

The Milkman said:

The Twins were 5-3 in Cleveland this year, including winning 5 of the last 6.

They only played them 6 times after the all star break and were 2-4. I think most people agree the 2nd half Indians were light years better than first half and more indicative of who they really are. The twins swept them in the first half, but that happens. The CWS swept the Astros, but no one would say they like their odds vs us in the postseason.

I personally don't think they stand much of a chance in a 5 game series, but I hope I'm wrong!
Ag_07
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Can anyone explain to me how the wild card games are not incredibly idiotic? 162 game season. The wild card teams are separated by 6 games in both leagues. Yet they play a one game winner take all. Dumb dumb dumb.

Simple

Puts an importance on winning your division and having 2 WCs keeps more team in it and stretches the drama all the way to the end of the season.

Think it's great for the game all around.
Gigemags382
AG
PhatMack19 said:

That hurts when your starter doesn't get out of the 1st inning in a 1 game playoff

Not just 1 inning, 1 out!
BowSowy
AG
And the Yanks were 2-5 against the Indians this year. I don't think either team stands a chance
Gigemags382
AG
Ag_07 said:

Gigemags382 said:

Simple

Puts an importance on winning your division and having 2 WCs keeps more team in it and stretches the drama all the way to the end of the season.

Fair enough. I don't follow until the playoffs. Just seems odd on the surface when I first looked at it.
mwm
Quite possible that neither starting pitcher will make it out of the first inning. Bullpens gonna get some work in tonight.
78669AG
1st inning = 1hr
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
TAZ99
AG
This is working out really well for the Yankees. Bullpen can take care of this game, and Severino can pitch game 2 against the Tribe.
mazag08
AG
Idiotic pitching there.
Betoisafurry
Nothing to add except this woman announcer is annoying as hell.
pasquale
AG
Chapman hitting 103 mph on the gun
jtstanley4621
AG
Feel bad for the Twins, especially considering their turn around from last year to this year. Yankees winning that game is just boring.
mhayden
Ag_07 said:

Gigemags382 said:

Simple

As much as I hate it... it's done the job of keeping the last few months of baseball interesting for many teams and changing the landscape (it's a lot harder for a team still a few games out of the wildcard-2 spot to deal it's stars).

Not really all that much different than the 5-game DS series... Why do we feel like 7 games is the proper # of games to determine the better team in the World Series and Championship Series, but in the Divisional Series it's just 5?

But I guess it all adds up to what IMO makes the MLB postseason the best postseason in all of sports -- you play 162 games to build a record and separate yourself from the pack and then right off the bat you are playing another great team in a short series that can end your season in 3 games. No 1 seed playing 8 seed then 4 seed then finally getting a challenge 3 rounds into things... You play for 6 months straight and right from playoffs jump street your season could realistically be over in the blink of an eye. It's brutal, but it's why the wins are so rewarding.
diehard03
Quote:

But I guess it all adds up to what IMO makes the MLB postseason the best postseason in all of sports -- you play 162 games to build a record and separate yourself from the pack and then right off the bat you are playing another great team in a short series that can end your season in 3 games. No 1 seed playing 8 seed then 4 seed then finally getting a challenge 3 rounds into things... You play for 6 months straight and right from playoffs jump street your season could realistically be over in the blink of an eye. It's brutal, but it's why the wins are so rewarding.

I think postseason baseball is awesome, but I think we do a disservice to the game by invalidating what happens in 162 based on what happens in the next 11 (or 12). I think the American sports narrative of "they are the champs, they are the best" fits the least in baseball.

We should be able to hold in our heads that that the WS champ might not be the best team, and that's ok.
mhayden
That also has a little bit to do with baseball being the least "team" of the major team sports.

One pitcher can almost single-handedly win a game (and therefore a series) for a team. With the other major sports whether it's via double-team, blitzing, etc... you can force other players to beat you.
DVC2010
AG
free_mhayden said:

That also has a little bit to do with baseball being the least "team" of the major team sports.

One pitcher can almost single-handedly win a game (and therefore a series) for a team. With the other major sports whether it's via double-team, blitzing, etc... you can force other players to beat you.

I think you've got this backwards. If this were true, the Angels would be perennial contenders.
Ag_07
AG
free_mhayden said:

Say what???

Baseball is the most team sport of all of them. Maybe except for football. Basketball is far and away the least team sport. The team with the best player is usually always at the top. That's not the case in baseball.

And how can one pitcher win a series if he only appears in one or two games throughout a series?
mhayden
Disagree. Baseball is for the most part a bunch of individual accomplishments by a group of players on a team.

Starting pitcher dictates who is most likely to win the game. A lot of different things can happen in the game involving the other players but much of it is random.
diehard03
Quote:

Baseball is the most team sport of all of them.

No. Baseball is nothing more than a series of individual contests that have different leverage values throughout a game.
diehard03
Quote:

I think its' less that pitchers just dominate and more that variance comes into play (ie, Mike Trouts .083 BA due to 3 game sweep by the Royals) and it WILL matter what your defensive sub-.250 hitter does at the plate.

Cubs won the WS because theirs (Montero) got a hit and CLE's (Martinez) didn't.
Ag_07
AG
This is probably a discussion for a separate thread but it's interesting.

Then how did the White Sox manage to be the worst team in baseball when they had the best pitcher in baseball in Sale?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.