Spring training -- Arizona

959 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by third deck
Old Jock 1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here been to spring training in AZ? My kids love the Dodgers and the Angels. Any tips? We are looking at spring break. Fan forums? Autograph tips? Anything else worth sharing?

Thank you!
AustinCountyAg
went a couple years ago. weather was great. played golf. went to a couple games. golf courses were crowded. If you like baseball and nice weather it is a great trip
Old Jock 1997
AG
Any tips for fan-centric stuff besides games? I doubt we'll do any golf with kids in tow.
diehard03
I went a few years ago too (before the Cubs went to sold out Spring training), and it's a little weird. It's not like a big thing for the city. Baseball just goes on there.

One thing is just to be prepared for your favorite players to not play. They might not play that day or maybe it's a split squad game and they are at the other site.
RigsTx
AG
One thing you have to do is go to Don & Charlie's in Scottsdale.

The walls are covered from floor to ceiling in sports memorabilia. You could spend an hour walking through there looking at everything.

My grandfather played/managed back in the 50s/60s and he would always stop in at Don & Charlies even long after his playing days. We went last year, but couldn't find his autographed picture.

Another one that is no longer there was the Pink Pony. It had a lot of nostalgia behind it, but it has since closed down.

We have been to Spring Training 4 out of the last 5 years and will probably be going back.

I spend the mornings golfing and the afternoons watching baseball..

Nothing beats Phoenix weather in March.

One thing to note is that some of the parks can be spread out. If you are a Rangers fan for instance, I would recommend finding something in the NW Phoenix Metro. It can be tough to get out to Surprise.

For most of the others, being in and around the Scottsdale area would be fine.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Any specific recs for Dodgers and Angels fans?
Agnzona
The Doggers are out in Glendale the Angles in Tempe. I'd try and catch the Dogers when they play the D'backs, Rockies, Giants or Cubs. Stay in Scottsdale or Tempe. You would spend most of your time there. Tickets are no problem except for the Cubs. With Kids in tow their is a nice new Aquarium and Butterfly place right by the D'Backs Rockies stadium. The Zoo is good and the Botanical Garden is very different than most. Old Town Scottsdale is fun to walk around.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Good tips. Thank you!
third deck
AG
I took my son to Camelback Ranch (Dodgers) this year for Spring Training. It was a great experience. I would have liked to have gone to some of the other stadiums/games, but he only wanted to see Dodger games.

The Dodgers events are very popular and quite crowded, so I would suggest going to the early morning workouts. Even then, it was tough to get autographs and player access. We brought some Aggie gear to try to get Ross Stripling's attention. While he didn't get a Stripling autograph, Kershaw stopped over to sign a ball. :-)

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.