Giancarlo Stanton's Race to 61....

3,153 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CorpsAg11
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Stanton keeps up this pace(currently on track for 59.75 HR thru 162 games played), how legitimate do you think it is as far as a record or chase?

I guess to rephrase the question...what is the number you view as the record? I still view 61 as the record. I throw out all of the Sosa/McGwire/Bonds numbers.

If he starts to get close, I hope it gets the attention it deserves. Could be a fun chase to watch down the stretch.
jja79
AG
I agree with Stanton that the record is 61.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

I guess to rephrase the question...what is the number you view as the record?
What # do I view as the record? 73
What # do I wish were the record? 61

_lefraud_
AG
This guy seems to think Dave Kingman holds the record at 37.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20405348/73-61-37-real-home-run-record-anyway

The record is 73, and I believe it will be broken someday.
94chem
73. Doesn't make me happy, but it's the record. Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, ARod...they're all Hall of Famers. Liars, cheats, scoundrels - call them whatever you want. Cooperstown is full of scoundrels. They are the reason we all watched for a decade.

Not one of them has made us think any less of Griffey, Biggio, The Big Unit, or Pedro. They all belong in the Hall, and 73 is what it is - the record.

I don't like it any more than I like the existence of separate water fountains and schools, but history is history, and there's no reason to deny it or hide it.
PacifistAg
AG
94chem said:

73. Doesn't make me happy, but it's the record. Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, ARod...they're all Hall of Famers. Liars, cheats, scoundrels - call them whatever you want. Cooperstown is full of scoundrels. They are the reason we all watched for a decade.
The thing about Bonds is he was already a clear-cut HOFer before we saw his numbers jump. 2000 was the first year that we saw that jump. Going into that season, he was 35, had 445 HR was 3-time MVP and 8-time Gold Glove winner. He could have retired then and still waltzed into the Hall. If, for the remainder of his career, he only averaged 20 per season (not counting 2005 where he only played in 14 games), he'd have finished with 585. Average 30 and he finishes with 655. I'd put Clemens and A-Rod in this category too. These guys get in even without PEDs.

Now, I'm less inclined to put Sosa and McGwire in, simply because I just don't think they were great players. They were one-trick ponies that needed PED's to put up HOF numbers. Then again, it's a museum of the history of the game and should even include warts and all, so I really wrestle w/ these guys.

But Bonds/Clemens/A-Rod...absolutely.
gambochaman
AG
73 is the record
Bonfired
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

My take on it as well.
W
AG
I guess it's a sign of the times in baseball...but when I see a statline like: 46 HR and 99 RBI

my first thought is...does this guy do anything besides hit home runs?

with that many HR's...his RBI total should be pushing 120 or 130.

The Anchor
AG
W said:

I guess it's a sign of the times in baseball...but when I see a statline like: 46 HR and 99 RBI

Without doing any research I am going to presume the low RBI total is due to the guys in front of him not getting on base.
John 14:6
Bulldog73
AG
About the RBI numbers, they scrolled their lineups across the bottom on ESPN the other night, and for that game at least he was 2 hole, which makes that make a little more sense.
The_Accountant15
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Agree as well. Don't think Stanton will quite get to 61, but the dude is still a monster regardless
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

He's hitting .284. Low RBI totals aren't his fault.
PacifistAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

W said:

He's hitting .284. Low RBI totals aren't his fault.
Yeah, he's hitting .297 w/ runners on base, 18 HR and 71 RBI. Not his fault that 29 of his HR have come w/ bases empty. Given that he's hitting 20 points higher w/ men on tells me he changes his approach slightly to focus on moving the men over or driving them in. Whereas with nobody on base, he's trying to drive in a run via the HR.
04.arch.ag
AG
2 more tonight to push his pace over 61
jckrjr7
AG
W said:

Now we are going to start trashing a guy because his teammates can't get on base?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Number 50 today
Gigem Trevas
Giancarlo Stanton.
Mozart Paintings
AG
SupaManu
AG
What a beast
toucan82
Took him long enough to get to 52
PhatMack19
AG
He hit 58 & 59 tonight. Giancarlo is the 6th player ever to hit 59 in a season and he has 3 games left.
PatAg
AG
and we think he's clean?
Farmer1906
AG
Nope
TXAggie2011
AG
Is there a reason beyond "he hit a lot of home runs" to believe he is not clean?
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

And he's now at 129 RBIs....which leads the National League.
Ag_07
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Is there a reason beyond "he hit a lot of home runs" to believe he is not clean?

Yeah...He's Hispanic. Duh
Farmer1906
AG
What is strange is his GB rate is up and his hard contact rate is down.
CorpsAg11
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I think he's clean. He's just an incredible athlete. Not that many guys that look like him choose baseball these days. (him and Judge)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.