Young Stars of the MLB

1,125 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mike Elko
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was only 5-7 years ago many were wondering if any young players could become the face of the game.

Now it seems there is a pretty healthy amount of young stars who could be the face of the game. The success of rookies like Bellinger and Judge really help as well.

With guys like Harper, Bellinger, Judge, Bryant, Springer-Altuve-Correa (all for Houston at least), Stanton, etc, baseball has a chance to gain some popularity back.

I'm just glad my kids have these guys to watch growing up. I was very fortunate to be able to watch guys like Griffey, Biggio, Bagwell, Bonds, Thomas, Jeter, Big Unit, Clemens, etc growing up. Excited for my kids to hopefully get to watch some sustained baseball greatness for a while.
aggiederelict
There will always be a new crop of great players come up as the old guard fades away. And then fans of the old guard will always say baseball isnt the same any more. Rinse and repeat.
Farmer1906
AG
You can add a few more names like Ramirez, Conforto, Seager, Betts, & Bogaerts.

Trout is only 25!
W
AG
I agree with the OP. There has been a surge in young talent the last 5 years to replace and perhaps erase the last of the steroid sluggers / all-stars.

also...one benefit for MLB that never gets talked about...baseball players by and large stay out of politics. Unlike the NBA and NFL. And people are definitely tired of athletes talking politics
W
AG
and another thing...somewhat quietly the best teams in baseball the last couple of years...have come from the largest cities in the U.S. (Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, New York)

nothing against Kansas City, Minnesota, Milwaukee, etc.., but that's kind of good for the game
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiederelict said:

There will always be a new crop of great players come up as the old guard fades away...Rinse and repeat.

Ehhhh. This group of young stars is absolutely extraordinary.
aTm2004
AG
"Uhh, guys? What about me?"

TXAggie2011
AG
aTm2004 said:

"Uhh, guys? What about me?"

You're "hurt", ya puss.
BowSowy
AG
Could be talking out of my ass, but I think this surge of young players is due, in large part, to the fact that there is a renewed focus on building from inside your organization. Gone are the days where teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, etc build a roster full of high-priced maybe past-their-prime players.
Ag_07
AG
Another aspect of it is that it seems like a lot of these guys have unique personalities.

Besides Griffey a lot of the guys in the 90s/00s (Clemens, Unit, Bonds, Bagwell, McGwire) were just meathead ball players and not very relatable.

Now you've got guys like Trout, Altuve, Harper, and Springer that really show an enjoyment to playing the game and let their personalities shine in addition to their stellar play.
Mike Elko
AG
And don't forget Rizzo (who shoulda been WS MVP) and Baez... I'd name other young Cubbies, but they're all sucking this season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.