Aaron Judge

15,932 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAggie2011
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Versatility is great, but there's a 5 WAR gap that he needs to close with Judge, whether that's Gallo improving or Judge regressing.

This thread was comparing two MVP candidates in Judge and Altuve and now we're throwing Gallo into the discussion. This reminds me of when Rangers fans thought Odor was going to be better than Altuve.

I'll be shocked if Gallo is ever legitimately in an MVP race. At best, I see him being a Chris Davis type who might get votes one year because he manages to elevate his average enough in a given season to complement his HRs, much like Judge this year. But overall, he'll be mainly a power guy and little else.
94chem
Quote:

now we're throwing Gallo into the discussion.
I'm pretty sure the thread title reads "Aaron Judge." Therefore, I'm playing the Judge "futures" market. Seems like a pretty legitimate discussion. Who would you want more than Judge for the next 10 years? Judge could be a .235 hitter with 35 HR next year, or he could hit .300 with 55 HR. At this point, I'd take Gary Sanchez over Judge any day.
Heisenberg01
AG
Aaron Judge is making this statement look absolutely stupid this post season. "any day"... what a ridiculous statement.
Agnzona
I don't want to spend the last 20 years on the planet hearing about how great Judge is.
Farmer1906
AG
A woman at the game last night ask me why Judge was in the running for MVP with such low #s.
titanmaster_race
94chem said:

Quote:

now we're throwing Gallo into the discussion.
I'm pretty sure the thread title reads "Aaron Judge." Therefore, I'm playing the Judge "futures" market. Seems like a pretty legitimate discussion. Who would you want more than Judge for the next 10 years? Judge could be a .235 hitter with 35 HR next year, or he could hit .300 with 55 HR. At this point, I'd take Gary Sanchez over Judge any day.

Gary Sanchez??

Say what you will about his strikeout numbers, but at least Aaron judge can catch a ball.
94chem
33 HR, 90 RBI with 4.1 WAR in 104 games played, throws out 40% of runners. Yes, he had 16 PB, but he also has an all-star game and a 2nd place ROY under his belt in barely a full season of games. Pudge Rodriguez turned out to be way more valuable than Juan Gonzalez.

Funny how a week ago people thought Judge was a scrub, just like they think Mike Trout is overrated when he goes 1 for 4 with a walk, a SB, and an outfield assist.

I'm sure everybody here knows what will happen over the next 1700 games, though. Carry on.
Agnzona
Just saw a center field camera shot of Judges HR robbing catch. It wasn't. Yuri's hit was not going out. Judges momentum carried him to and over the wall. But he caught it 4 feet from the wall. It would have hit about a foot short, but the legend grows...
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Mathguy64
AG
Doesn't matter. His season is over.
Agnzona
Also what's up with the way he wears his glove so high up on his hand? I've never seen anyone do that. It makes his glove look like its a little kids glove.
Will Hunt
94chem said:

33 HR, 90 RBI with 4.1 WAR in 104 games played, throws out 40% of runners. Yes, he had 16 PB, but he also has an all-star game and a 2nd place ROY under his belt in barely a full season of games. Pudge Rodriguez turned out to be way more valuable than Juan Gonzalez.

Funny how a week ago people thought Judge was a scrub, just like they think Mike Trout is overrated when he goes 1 for 4 with a walk, a SB, and an outfield assist.

I'm sure everybody here knows what will happen over the next 1700 games, though. Carry on.

Considered by many to be worst defensive catcher in league, last year he was statistically the worst as far as framing strike percentage and passed balls.

Cost his team two runs at plate in critical moments this series alone. Coild have made 3rd one close. Glorified backstop....
W
AG
I will give Judge credit. He showed in the ALCS that he can do more than just hit home runs.

eventually the Yankees need to find a 2-hole hitter and a better leadoff hitter, so Judge can slide into the 3-hole or cleanup spot next year
W
AG
as for Sanchez...he will be playing left field or DH eventually.

just not good enough behind the plate
AustinCountyAg
Listening to the radio a few minutes ago and Judge has set the MLB record for most strikeouts in a post season....welcome to the record books
titanmaster_race
W said:

as for Sanchez...he will be playing left field or DH eventually.

just not good enough behind the plate

He dropped every single throw to the plate in this series. 3 runs scored.
Will Hunt
AustinCountyAg said:

Listening to the radio a few minutes ago and Judge has set the MLB record for most strikeouts in a post season....welcome to the record books

Without the benefit of playing in the world series...
The Milkman
AG
I realized something last night. Judge is a player I'm going to be able to root against for the next 15 years or so.

It's nice to have an enemy
Philip J Fry
AG
The Milkman said:

I realized something last night. Judge is a player I'm going to be able to root against for the next 15 years or so.

It's nice to have an enemy

But...but according to FS1, everybody LOVES Judge.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Buck Compton said:

Unless this game goes to extras, he literally just set the record for the worst hitting performance (of all-time) in a playoff series.

There's literally no way this is true. It's not even the worst performance of this postseason. Javy Baez went hitless in the NLDS.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just did a quick check of the stats. Judge had the highest OPS in the ALCS. Yes, even higher than Altuve.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2017_ALCS.shtml
Philip J Fry
AG
https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/10/21/16515068/aaron-judge-yankees-strikeouts-astros-alcs-game-7

27 strikeouts is impressive.
Buck Compton
AG
Junkhead said:

Buck Compton said:

Unless this game goes to extras, he literally just set the record for the worst hitting performance (of all-time) in a playoff series.

There's literally no way this is true. It's not even the worst performance of this postseason. Javy Baez went hitless in the NLDS.
I'd argue that the strikeouts showed a level of futility not even matched by Baez. But maybe I should have just added a qualifier - of an MVP candidate.

You're pretty defensive of him, though. Surprising from a Cubs fan.
Philip J Fry
AG
Not really. Harder for a cubs fan to root for the Astros than the Yankees.
Buck Compton
AG
Junkhead said:

Just did a quick check of the stats. Judge had the highest OPS in the ALCS. Yes, even higher than Altuve.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2017_ALCS.shtml
He also struck out 11 more times to set a postseason record. He will win an MVP before it is all over, but he isn't that level right now, IMO. He remains one of the least clutch players in the league.

He had a great series overall - when our pitchers made dumb mistakes, he made us pay. But he still can't hit a curveball. His game 7 was laughable.

Still trying to figure out what got you so worked up here.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm "worked up" because your post was stupid and factually incorrect.
Philip J Fry
AG
The internet probably isn't the best place for you to hang out then.
Know Your Enemy
AG
For the record I think Altuve is clearly the better player right now and deserves the MVP.
titanmaster_race
Judge was able to hit a breaking ball a couple of times in the ALCS. But he generally still looks silly trying to swing at them.

If he can ever figure out how to hit non-fastballs, he is going to be pretty unstoppable. Even so, he still puts up some gaudy numbers, but equally gaudy strikeout numbers.
W
AG
that's why you have to watch the games and the series.

OPS and particularly the SLG component can be meaningless if the home runs are primarily solo shots in blowout games
Mathguy64
AG
Judge from July 1 until the end of the regular season was effectively Mark McGwire.

McGwire career was .263/.394/.588, with 17.2%BB, 20.8% K, .325 ISO and .255 BABIP.

Judge in 2nd half was .242,/.395//.565 with 20.1% BB, 32.6% K, .323 ISO and .294 BABIP.

If he doesn't learn to hit a breaking ball that's who he will be. McGwire with a higher strike out rate. If he learns to hit it, he will be the best and most feared hitter of his generation.
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

that's why you have to watch the games and the series.

OPS and particularly the SLG component can be meaningless if the home runs are primarily solo shots in blowout games
Good grief. He scored or batted in 3 of the runs in a game 4, which the Yankees won by 2 runs. There is no Game 7 without Aaron Judge.

He had 2 more RBI than anyone else in the series, 3 more than any Astro, and tied Jose Altuve for 5 runs scored.

Sure, two home runs were single shots---the third was a 3 run shot on 2-2 count with 2 outs. Its possible its a grand slam if a wild pitch doesn't score a run first.

He tied with Altuve for the 2nd most walks in the series, behind Yankee Greg Bird.

Y'all won and the post-season has nothing to do with the MVP race which Altuve will mostly likely win because there is plenty about Judge's August to prevent him winning. Stop trying to manufacture other crap that just doesn't hold water.
Ag_07
AG
Judge was awful in the ALDS and really the first two games of the ALCS.

However, he turned it on in Game 3 and really got back to being a threat at the plate.

I'm an Astro fan and even I'll admit that he was a big factor in that series. Maybe not when it counted most (Gm 7) but he was surely a factor.
Buck Compton
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Slugging? He had the best OBP in the series by 50 points.
now you're the one making things up. This just isn't true.

Most of the rest of your post is true, like I said, he made our pitcher pay when they made stupid mistakes like Harris or McCullers hanging the curve. He had a great series once things moved to NY, and really bounced back from his ALDS.
TXAggie2011
AG
Buck Compton said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Slugging? He had the best OBP in the series by 50 points.
now you're the one making things up. This just isn't true.
Sorry, that was Bird. Corrected. I thought Bird's 8 walks juxtaposed with that was weird when I was posting, but I misread it.

Quote:

Most of the rest of your post is true, like I said, he made our pitcher pay when they made stupid mistakes like Harris or McCullers hanging the curve.
Okay, what else isn't true?

And we don't agree Judge just sat around for 6 well timed hanging curve balls or other stupid mistakes. He knocked some good pitches off the wall or beyond.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.