PSA: How to Stream Astro games on Computer with mlb.tv

2,089 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mhayden
PM&Rdoc04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After 45 minutes on the phone with customer service and over an hour clicking around on my own:
-there was previously a banner that allowed you to immediately log on and authenticate Root Sports with your cable provider to watch the live "blacked out" game. MLB has gotten rid of the banner and replaced it with advertisements.

Solution:
Log into MLB.com. Go to the Astros Webpage. Under the banner for "Video", Look to the drop down and on the right side is an option "watch live in market". It will then let you authenticate with your (or your neighbor's) cable provider. Do it this way. There is no other option.

I will return to lurking. Go 'Stros!
PM&Rdoc04
AG
Update:
How to access on Android
Go to mlb.com, log in. Go to Astros. In the menu bar, directly underneath the Astro logo, click on the arrow icon . The drop down menu has the "Video" option. Click on the ">>" icon, Under the "IN THIS SECTION" pull down is the "Watch Live In-Market" tab.
cdowl38
AG
Any news on how to do this on a firestick?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
How ridiculous is it that this has to be done in 2017 to watch a professional sports team?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Does this work on XBONE MLB.TV app?
titanmaster_race
pretty sure you can't do this with Comcast
Teddy Perkins
AG
I just bookmarked http://m.mlb.com/hou/root/activate# and go straight here every time on a PC. Not sure if it works on mobile.
agproducer
AG
cdowl38 said:

Any news on how to do this on a firestick?
Do you have cable and access to ROOT sports? If you are a cord cutter, there is a workaround.

First, get a SmartDNS service for your home network. I use Overplay.net. They have easy to follow instructions on how to set it up. It'll cost you about $5/month. It used to work for Fire Stick, but apparently doesn't anymore. It still works with Roku. You have to manually configure your router. It takes about 5 minutes.

Next, download the MLB.tv app and get the subscription for the Astros. It may be discounted at this point. I have the full package. I like it.
dummble
AG
did the att sports switch break this?
R-Dog
AG
Still works on my phone, but on my computer I'm getting "User Not Authorized" error. Anybody else?

Used to work great on my computer

MosesHallRAB04
AG
I get the user not authorized error on my phone
Ag_07
AG
Bump for this week's day games
mhayden
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

How ridiculous is it that this has to be done in 2017 to watch a professional sports team?

10-15 years ago piracy was done mainly by people "because they could".

Nowadays I'd say the majority of piracy is done because media right holders make it so damn hard to get what you already (or are willing to) pay for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.