Any 6U or 7U travel teams in B/CS?

1,724 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FtBendTxAg
JavierC2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to see if there are any 6U or 7U travel teams in B/CS or the Brazos Valley. If there are any, could you post some contact info for them? Thanks.
TREX01
Nothing like travel tball
JavierC2005
TREX01 said:

Nothing like travel coach pitch
FIFY
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well, in that case
HECUBUS
AG
Make sure your kid is having fun, it's their childhood and it won't last long.

No matter what you think or how good they are, it's a rediculous amount of time they sacrifice for baseball in high school.

They will be wanting to do summer internships by their sophomore summer. Grades and test scores become much more important. Baseball starts to feel like a childs game.

Keep it fun as long as you can.

BigTimeAlum
AG
I hope not. Way too young.
Snoop Lion
wtf are you talking about
Snoop Lion
HECUBUS
AG
Baseball ends soon enough naturally. All the people I know who took the early travel or select path had their fun and their baseball end sooner.

Baseball parents are crazy.
_lefraud_
AG
I wish they would make laws against playing select/travel ball before the age of 12.
CinchAG97
Hecubus has good insight and is in a similar situation as I am with a kid in early HS baseball.

I'm not a select ball "hater", and there are plenty on this site. I have two boys who have played select ball - one started at 8U, and one started at 7U.

What age you start at doesn't really matter, especially in College Station. There aren't any 6U/7U teams that I know of, and you shouldn't worry about it. There are 6U and 7U teams in Houston, if you want to drive, but it's not necessary.

Yes, those teams will be "ahead" at an early age, but it all evens itself out. 8U is a fun year, and if you can find a team, I highly encourage it. Coach pitch is a ton of fun for the boys as long as parents don't take it too seriously. 9U kid pitch sucks. 10U kid pitch mostly sucks because the game is so slow and a walk/hit/hit-batter might as well be a triple because the runner will end up on 3rd base in 2 pitches anyway. (Caveat: unless you're playing majors/premier and face a truly exceptional catcher).

Take it easy and if an opportunity presents itself, go for it, but if not, don't stress about it.
HECUBUS
AG
Ha. It's amazing how similar our kid's baseball journeys have been. Our's interviews for an internship tomorrow that will most likely end his baseball career if he lands it. Kid has it all figured out. His little sister enters middle school next year and is a volleyball stud. I hear volleybal parents are crazy too.
KT 90
AG
HECUBUS said:

Baseball parents are crazy.

Have you met/seen any softball parents? Yikes. I've been both routes, and softball parents are a special kind of crazy.

KT 90
AG
JavierC2005 said:

Looking to see if there are any 6U or 7U travel teams in B/CS or the Brazos Valley. If there are any, could you post some contact info for them? Thanks.
And 6u is Tball. You don't want to be driving your kid all over to play tball. Just sign up in the local league and let me learn and enjoy playing for a while before you get him into the travel ball world. I'd say the same for the coach pitch level as well. There is plenty of time for select/travel ball later.

94chem
My son just turned 9 and is playing his first ever year of ball. He really loves it so far. He's the smallest kid on the team, and is just learning how to play catch and swing a bat. Who knows how long it will be before he can catch a fly ball. He's playing Mustang, and in his first ever game, his first at-bat, he led off the inning against this kid who was built like David Wells and had the fast-ball to go with it. This kid must've been throwing 60, and he had no idea where it was going. My son is so innocent that he doesn't even know enough to be scared yet. He got in there and swung at a ball over his head on the first pitch, about a second late too. I'm just praying that he can get it over with. On the second pitch, by some miracle he hit a foul tip. I was beaming. Then I saw him turn around and say "ouch." Turns out the ball had hit him in the hand. Coach came down from third base and looked at him, rubbed some dirt on it, and he went back in the box. My kid loves that orange dirt - who knows, it may actually have healing powers...anyway, on the next pitch, he struck out, but hustled down to first on the ubiquitous dropped third strike (side note: do not ever leave 1st base occupied with < 2 outs in Mustang, or else the batter won't be able to run). Several pitches later, my son scored like a boss on a wild pitch, starting the 5 run rally that propelled us to a heart-stopping, no, heart-warming, 9-8 victory.

First time I've played actual baseball since 1990. There's no way we're gonna not let this be fun. Screw travelling leagues and all that mess. My son is becoming a ball-player, just like every male in our family for 5 generations.
94chem
As for the travel leagues, just think for a minute. Is driving all over the state really better at building proficiency than a bucket of soft toss in the back yard?
Flexbone
The fact that traveling leaugues even exist under the age of AT LEAST 12-14 is proof that sports are WAY TOO IMPORTANT in this country, and that there are a lot of idiot parents that live in la la land when it comes to odds, things that actually matter, etc.
JavierC2005
I just asked a simple question. I didn't ask for opinions about what I should do or what any other parent should do. Hope ya'll have a great day, I know I will in la la land.
HECUBUS
AG
The crazy is highly contagious. I tried to keep my opinions out, because they are only relevant to our experience.

When ours was 11, 15 - 0, 125 Ks, several no hitters and a perfect game, we got the bad crazy. I took him to the field for some live hitting. We got there and saw a dad timing his tiny kid's sprints to first. The kid was so small, the helmet was rolling on his head so he couldn't see. Dad yelled " you have to be faster!" The kid fell down in a cloud of dust and dad threw his arms up in disgust. My kid looked at me, we put the equipment back into the car and headed to Amy's ice cream.

Thanks to that crazy dad, we were able to laugh at ourselves and get some perspective early on.

So laugh at us and learn to laugh at yourself when the crazy hits. You are in for a fun ride if you don't take it too seriously.
CinchAG97
94chem said:

As for the travel leagues, just think for a minute. Is driving all over the state really better at building proficiency than a bucket of soft toss in the back yard?

There's no need to drive all over the state for "travel" ball. If you live in a major metro area, you could play all the tournaments you'd want to and never leave the city. But, if a team is playing more than 2 tournaments a month, that's too much, in my opinion. And if a team is traveling the state, and they are not a top level Premier/Majors team, they're idiots. Some of the best of the best do travel to find competition to play.

Also, I promise you that travel ball and being challenged in practice and competing for spots and playing with kids better than your kid WILL make a difference. The skill level difference between a 12U premier player and a 12U Little Leaguer is going to be astronomical - except in the extremely rare instances of Pearland's top 12U kids, or a similar LL that keeps their top kids in LL. But, Pearland's LL team that nearly won the LL World Series a few years ago would have been trounced by a top level premier team.

Lastly, being a 12U premier player doesn't guarantee future success either. It helps to have played at the top level for years, but things change rapidly in HS and it's unpredictable how things are going to work out.
FtBendTxAg
AG
LOL. 6 and 7 year old select ball. Laughy cry face, adults have absolutely ruined baseball for kids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.