Oh, Tim Tebow

28,861 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BCSWguru
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here Is A Thing That Happened At Tim Tebow's Spring Training Debut

Quote:

At the start of the bottom of the third inning, New York Mets designated hitter Tim Tebow left the dugout to get some warm-up swings in before stepping into the box. But, strangely, he walked all the way around behind the platefrom the Mets dugout on the third-base side to the on-deck circle in front of the visitors' dugout, on the first-base side.

Boston's Rick Porcello, warming up on the mound, said he assumed it was a bat boy. After all, why would a Mets player be over there?

After a few swings, home plate umpire Ryan Additon noticed Tebow in the wrong on-deck circle, and told Tebow to get back to his side of the field. Tebow sheepishly complied.

Afterward Tebow explained his mistake, saying he had always thought that lefty batters warm up on that side of the field no matter which team they play for.
Wow! Just wow!
Ag_07
AG
Holy shlt
astros4545
AG
I do this still

Not a big deal if it's pre inning starting

Say Chowdah
AG
Yeah, he struck out looking his first two ab's. GIDP his 3rd ab. His 4th he reached on a HBP and then got doubled up on a liner when he didn't get back to 1b fast enough.

Yeah, he's really a ball player.

He's the Kim Kardashian of sports. Nothing more.
bigcat22
AG
Not commenting on his ability as a ball player, but I can't blame him for chasing his dreams like this. Hell if I had his resources and athleticism, I'd be doing the same thing.
CorpsAg11
AG
That's embarrassing. Rooting for the guy but realistically this is going nowhere...
PacifistAg
AG
astros4545 said:

I do this still

Not a big deal if it's pre inning starting

From what I saw on twitter, it looks like he wasn't leading off the inning.
PacifistAg
AG
bigcat22 said:

Not commenting on his ability as a ball player, but I can't blame him for chasing his dreams like this. Hell if I had his resources and athleticism, I'd be doing the same thing.
Agreed. I don't fault him at all. Any one of us here would jump at the chance to play pro ball, even if it is for a PR stunt. The fault lies w/ the Mets for bringing in someone that is not remotely skilled enough to play the game at that level.

I'm sure their stunt has worked because I'm sure they've sold plenty of tickets/merchandise as a result, but if I were a Mets fan, I'd be embarrassed.
Say Chowdah
AG
I don't blame him for doing it.

and

I think that it is disgusting that his fame allows him to do it when other guys are busting their nutz for a slot that are 10 times the ballplayer than he is now, or ever will be.

Agreed that this is on the Mets and the media coverage it generates.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I think that it is disgusting that his fame allows him to do it when other guys are busting their nutz for a slot that are 10 times the ballplayer than he is now, or ever will be.
Well, he arguably wasn't the worst performer on his team last season with the Mets, yet alone noticeably worse than all the other guys on that roster and around the minor leagues.

We'll see what he gets at spring training, but my point is you don't have to be hugely qualified to get at bats in the minor leagues.

Quote:

He's the Kim Kardashian of sports. Nothing more.
Except he is famous because he was a highly successful athlete. So, poor comparison, I'd say.
Frok
AG
I don't blame the Mets. Spring training is boring and too long. Might as well enjoy watching Tebow fail at another sport. He's a great guy though.
mhayden
Didn't Garth Brooks play some Spring ball?
AggieKO
AG
I say who cares. Everyone has something to say about everything that goes on but at the end of the day he's a successful person and still inspiring youth so I'm all for it.
Say Chowdah
AG
Quote:

Except he is famous because he was a highly successful athlete.
How may players that started in the NFL for one season and then was a backup for 2 more seasons are now on tv 3 years after they last took a snap?

He's not famous for what he did on the field. He's famous for what he did off the field. And I am NOT saying that he is not a good person. His behavior with children is very admirable but it is also what contributes to his fame.

For comparison: Johnny Football. If he ever does spring training, it will be the opposite side of the same coin.
TXAggie2011
AG
Three of the dude's four seasons at Florida ended with a national championship or a Heisman Trophy, and he held just about every record there was to hold. He was a dynamic and impressive athletic freak.

So was Johnny.

I understand what you're saying, but I say no one cares that Johnny likes to party and no one cares that Tebow likes to pray or was home schooled if they weren't wrecking opponents on the field. They're just two of millions of Jesus freaks and alcoholics without what they did on the field.

No doubt a 28-year old who was out of baseball for a decade got the benefit of the doubt due to his notoriety, but I'm not sure it's a crazy stretch to give a chance to a guy who was a successful, All-State high school baseball player with the athletic success he had in college.
TXAggie2011
AG
How he never figured out where to take his on deck swings, well, we surely can agree his fame didn't originate due to discovering how a black hole works.

He's not the brightest bulb in the New York skyline.
toucan82
Quote:

Afterward Tebow explained his mistake, saying he had always thought that lefty batters warm up on that side of the field no matter which team they play for.

maybe he's onto something. who's to say it wouldn't be a little better?
Seanzy2012
AG
Was the guy in front of him a lefty?

I agree, he's probably not going to make it, but at least he'll know he's not cut out for baseball...unlike many athletes who say "man I should have done baseball, those guys have it made." I'll never fault the guy for trying.

It really is one of those sports you need to play your whole life. Athletic ability only gets you so far in baseball. Most of it's muscle memory built over 20+ years of practice.
LeonardSkinner
Just chiming in to say that I fully expect the Rays to trade for him in July. Probably send the Mets a starting pitcher and legit bat.
Say Chowdah
AG
aggie kid said:

Just chiming in to say that I fully expect the Rays to trade for him in July. Probably send the Mets a starting pitcher and legit bat.
Well. that move would increase attendance to probably 11,000 per game! I couldn't blame them for that.
astros4545
AG
2-2 with a diving catch

Batting .600 over last 5 ABs
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Batting .600 over last 5 ABs
Legit sample size
iBrad
AG
Tebow's foray into baseball will probably go about like Jordan's did. With that said, you can look through every teams' spring training stats and probably find some of their prospects who haven't gotten three hits this spring. He's not completely overmatched, which to me, is pretty impressive considering how long he was out of the game and that he never played above high school.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

How may players that started in the NFL for one season and then was a backup for 2 more seasons are now on tv 3 years after they last took a snap?

That's a very specific set of criteria, so probably just 1.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

With that said, you can look through every teams' spring training stats and probably find some of their prospects who haven't gotten three hits this spring. He's not completely overmatched, which to me, is pretty impressive considering how long he was out of the game and that he never played above high school.
I would agree with this.

The Mets show 4 right fielders have 14 or more at bats (Tebow has 14).

Granderson is a mile and then some above the rest, of course, but Tebow has a higher batting average than the other two guys. And a lower K rate than one of the other two guys.

Tebow doesn't have a walk yet, or an extra base hit, but still, back to my earlier point, I think folks overestimate the skill level of most guys playing pro baseball.
Say Chowdah
AG
He had a big day today.

0 - 4. 3 strikeouts on 9 pitches and a 1st pitch ground out.
COOL LASER FALCON
ClassOf17
I don't blame Tebow at all and I'm rooting for him, even though I seriously doubt he'll ever make the bigs.

And I don't buy into the 'other players busting their ass' argument. Tebow gets the same chance as every other person in this world. There's roughly 5 or 6 farm teams for each MLB franchise, if you can't make one of them, that's a personal problem.
PacifistAg
AG
ClassOf17 said:

I don't blame Tebow at all and I'm rooting for him, even though I seriously doubt he'll ever make the bigs.

And I don't buy into the 'other players busting their ass' argument. Tebow gets the same chance as every other person in this world. There's roughly 5 or 6 farm teams for each MLB franchise, if you can't make one of them, that's a personal problem.
I don't use the "other players" argument, but I think it's a stretch to say he gets the same chance that every other person in this world gets. If he weren't Tim Tebow, he'd not be playing minor league ball right now. He got a chance because he's a celebrity athlete that would lead to ticket sales. I don't fault him, but this is a PR stunt.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Tebow's foray into baseball will probably go about like Jordan's did. With that said, you can look through every teams' spring training stats and probably find some of their prospects who haven't gotten three hits this spring. He's not completely overmatched, which to me, is pretty impressive considering how long he was out of the game and that he never played above high school.

If Tebow were really serious about this, he would sign on with an independent league. If he went to the Atlantic League and hit .360, then I could see a major league team scout him and see if he's worth a roster spot in their minor league system.
ClassOf17
First AB of the year and he hits a two run bomb.
Charlie Conway
BMX Bandit
Gonna be lots of anger from the haters.
Say Chowdah
AG
ClassOf17 said:

The JV pitcher who hung the curve was quoted "yeah, it wasn't a good pitch. But that is the way this game is sometimes. This is almost as bad as when I found out I had to get braces last Christmas."
ClassOf17
Say Chowdah said:

ClassOf17 said:

The JV pitcher who hung the curve was quoted "yeah, it wasn't a good pitch. But that is the way this game is sometimes. This is almost as bad as when I found out I had to get braces last Christmas."

Let's see you hit a bomb off a minor league pitcher.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.