***TexAgs Roto 2017***

3 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JABQ04
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For guys in the dynasty thread interested in a separate roto league, I created one on Yahoo. Let me know if you want an invite via email.

League so far:

corleoneag99
Kampfers
CaptMorgan70
Msowrex
Jabq04
Aggie KO
AggieTj
AggieTj Dad

Kampfers
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

For guys in the dynasty thread interested in a separate roto league, I created one on Yahoo. Let me know if you want an invite via email.
Hey, I was pretty far along in the creation process of a league on FanTrax. I know the other league is on yahoo, but there are a few things we can do on fantrax that yahoo doesn't offer:
  • Collect dues on team registration and automatically distribute winnings at the end of the season
  • Charge/automatically collect fees on transactions (if we wanted them)
  • Trade future draft picks
  • Own/draft minor league players
  • More flexibility in league size (I know ESPN is capped at 20 teams, not sure about yahoo)
  • You can have a salary cap or contracts if desired. Alternatively, it can handle things like keeper inflation (say, each year the value of a keeper increases by 2-3 rounds, making finding "value" players later in the draft more important

Here is a full comparison of league features:
https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/games/season-long/mlb/commissioner

but if the general consensus is that everyone wants to stay on yahoo I suppose I can create an account over there too.

I was also thinking about perhaps using the new "sabermetric" roto categories that ESPN has proposed from year to year:

Hitting:
  • OBP
  • SLG
  • HR
  • RBI
  • R
  • Net Stolen Bases (penalized for caught stealing/picked off)

Pitching:
  • QS (definitively a better metric than wins)
  • SVHD (saves + holds , could also do saves + .9*holds or something to similarly devalue holds slightly)
  • ERA
  • WHIP
  • K/9 (ratio which discourages streaming and adds some value to relievers who can't get QS)
  • IP (adds some value back to starters since ERA, WHIP, and K/9 are tilted towards relievers)

I'm not quite sold on IP but there does need to be some means of balancing the field back towards the starter. Alternatives?
corleoneAg99
AG
Doesn't matter to me. Wasn't sure if someone had started one or not.

Is this going to be a pay league?
corleoneAg99
AG
Would also recommend OPS instead of separating the two and not a fan of K ratio.

Roto is meant to be a cumulative scoring type I thought?
Kampfers
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Would also recommend OPS instead of separating the two and not a fan of K ratio.

Roto is meant to be a cumulative scoring type I thought?
If going with OPS instead, I would also include AVG to keep the league 6x6.

As far as roto being cumulative: yes, it is. But just like AVG is a cumulative average, K/9 is a cumulative strikeout ratio. It functions just the same as any other category that is not just a pure "total" number but includes the total season's worth of data in its calculation (like say ERA, WHIP, etc)

The premise behind the scoring categories I mentioned is explained here

This is his explanation for OBP, SLG, and K/9:
Quote:

On-base percentage (OBP): It rewards walks, which, besides pitcher strikeouts -- remember that they were not a part of the original Rotisserie baseball rulebook -- were a glaring omission from the initial rules.

Slugging percentage (SLG): It values doubles and triples, things that were also overlooked by the original rulebook.

Strikeouts per nine innings ratio (K/9): Some might prefer the simplicity of strikeouts remaining a counting category, but doing so while including the other categorical changes would severely depress relief pitcher value while encouraging a streaming-starters strategy. Switching it to a ratio rewards skills over volume, while enhancing the importance of selecting starters' matchups. The change has another benefit: It makes middle relievers more useful.

But I'm open to whatever. I just like the concept of a more sabermetric style league, and the categories proposed in the article seem to offer a fairly balanced concept.

As far as fantrax vs yahoo, it also doesn't matter to me a huge amount. While I like the options on fantrax, if most people wanted to stay on yahoo for convenience I would definitely still play.

With regards to pay vs. free, I highly recommend pay. While it doesn't completely eliminate the players who sign up and forget about it, it does usually encourage some level of activity because of the financial commitment. I find free leagues typically have the highest amounts of player attrition.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah I hear you on K/9 but to me that could also equate to RP's having more fantasy value.

But I don't really care...I just think totak K's is more simple to account for strategically.

I'll just keep the Yahoo league in place until we get any more interest. Once we have at least 10 guys we'll hash it out.
Captmorg70
I've always wanted to try a ROTO league. I'm interested, once yall have the plans figured out let me know. Any idea on the cost?
corleoneAg99
AG
Ok ill keep the first post updated with who wants to play...need 10 min.

I'm guessing cost would be around 20 buck?
Kampfers
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Ok ill keep the first post updated with who wants to play...need 10 min.

I'm guessing cost would be around 20 buck?
Yeah anywhere 20-50 would be a-ok with me.

Represent830
AG
20-25 works for me. I'm in another big money league and just want to see how this one goes.

Did you use the singular of "buck" on purpose?
corleoneAg99
AG
Lol...yes.

That's 4!
Represent830
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Lol...yes.

That's 4!
Is that a reference to something??
corleoneAg99
AG
Not really...I'm trying to remember who I actually heard say it that way the first time and I wanted to say it was Gordo on the Ticket in Dallas in the mornings. It's how I refer to any amount of money now.
Represent830
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Not really...I'm trying to remember who I actually heard say it that way the first time and I wanted to say it was Gordo on the Ticket in Dallas in the mornings. It's how I refer to any amount of money now.
There's this guy on youtube that makes fun of gym stupidity/Crossfit stuff and he always uses the singular of "bucks" so I thought maybe you were an Elgintensity fan. Dude is hilarious.
SpringsAg
AG
I'm interested in this - been years since I've played, but itching to get back in.

I'm more familiar with H2H, but I think I get Roto...

We have all the categories, and essentially at the end of the season we get points based on how our team did the entire year in the diff categories? That's how you determine a winner?
JABQ04
AG
I'll get in on this
corleoneAg99
AG
Cool. Just need 4 more.
JABQ04
AG
Need email address?
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah I'll get all that once the league is full.

Just need a few more.
AggieKO
AG
I'm in
corleoneAg99
AG
Excellent...three more and hopefully 5 more to get us to 12.
corleoneAg99
AG
Need a few more players.
AggieTJ
AG
Count me in.
corleoneAg99
AG
Awesome...just two more and we're good to go. Looking at drafting some time next week. Probably a week night around 8pm.
AggieTJ
AG
I've got one more commitment from my father in law, if that's cool with you. He's not on TexAgs but I can send him the login info if/when we get this going.
Our votes are definitely for Roto-style and Yahoo.
corleoneAg99
AG
Cool...just need one more player!
Represent830
AG
Not sure if you're counting on me but I'm out since I got in the other league.
corleoneAg99
AG
Got it.

Back to 8 folks. If we don't get a couple more in the next few days we can just scrap it.
Captmorg70
Yea I agree. Seems like it's hard to get people in a roto league.
Moxie
AG
I'd do it if it were for free. Don't really wanna pony up money for a type I've never played before.
corleoneAg99
AG
We don't have to play for a fee this year...we could run it out and if people like it we could look at a fee next year.
JABQ04
AG
Still down for whatever you folks decide.
AggieTJ
AG
I wouldn't worry about being new to it - seriously. The season is so long, you can easily go from last place to top 3 in no time. Been there, done that. Plus, with a roto league, it's not like you're having to win a head to head game every week and can easily fall behind if you don't figure it all out right away. Roto is cumulative over the whole season.
If this league folds, I'm going to have to go join a crappy free Yahoo league, but it'll keep me interested in the game of baseball throughout the summer, and not just for the Astros alone!
corleoneAg99
AG
Don't let Tj down people!
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I can play if it is free.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.