**Official Texas Rangers 2017 Season Thread** Staff Warning on OP

1,006,436 Views | 12008 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

bigcat22 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Man, I wouldn't trade Kela. He's young and is controllable for quite a while. Just entering his good he can be as a pitcher.

I'd hate to lose him too but he's not well liked in the clubhouse and I think guys like Beltre don't want to put up with those kinda distractions

He's really not liked? Is that a fact or a guess?

Guess.
DallasAg 94
Ryno01 said:

Brinson was .345 10 HRs 11 SBs and a AAA All Star....

Yes, he's hitting .118 with a 34 AB sample size
And he may very well have a great MLB career.

But, at 23, he is the same age as Rougie (101GP, .215 BA in 2017), Gallo (91 GP, .200 BA in 2017), DeShields (24-. 74 GP, 278 BA in 2017), Profar (24- 22 GP, .172 BA) and Mazara (22- 92 GP, .243).

All of those guys have a better BA. Many on this board are growing impatience with all of those players. So... while he is great at AAA, his former peers are all in MLB having more success. What does it say that his sample size is so small?

This board would flip out if we carried Brinson with a .118 BA.
DallasAg 94
BTW... Nick Williams is off to a great start...

.309 BA, .348 OBP, 4 HR

Looking good, next to Odubel Herrera in Philly's CF.
.271, 9 HR, 5 SB. .315 OBP.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Wasn't there some incident in Spring training or very early this season when the team didn't want him travelling on the plane back to Texas? Rangers sent him down for a while to let everybody cool off IIRC
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mr. White
Yes
Quincey P. Morris
AG
There was an incident where he didn't take an outing with minor leaguers seriously and the team took exception. There's been no indication that that is a continuing issue since he's been back up. I think they made their point adequately.
DallasAg 94
It's happening...

Rangers informing interested teams they will trade Yu Darvish.
Mr Gigem
AG
He's going to the Dodgers
MSFC Aggie
AG
AccidentProne said:

Is that a guess, or do you have info?
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

That would be my guess, as well.

It needs to happen soon. Then Cashner.
bigcat22
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

jtstanley4621 said:

bigcat22 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Man, I wouldn't trade Kela. He's young and is controllable for quite a while. Just entering his good he can be as a pitcher.

I'd hate to lose him too but he's not well liked in the clubhouse and I think guys like Beltre don't want to put up with those kinda distractions

Guess.

He started the year in the minors due to the clubhouse incident mentioned in the article below, but I've also heard Evan Grant on The Ticket mention there's been multiple unreported dust ups with him and this year the team voted to not have him travel on the plane from Surprise with them.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2017/04/03/source-keone-kelas-surprise-demotion-revealed-edgy-relievers-future-rangers

PatAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Ryno01 said:

But, at 23, he is the same age as Rougie (101GP, .215 BA in 2017), Gallo (91 GP, .200 BA in 2017), DeShields (24-. 74 GP, 278 BA in 2017), Profar (24- 22 GP, .172 BA) and Mazara (22- 92 GP, .243).

All of those guys have a better BA. Many on this board are growing impatience with all of those players. So... while he is great at AAA, his former peers are all in MLB having more success. What does it say that his sample size is so small?

Except that this is his first time up in the big leagues, unlike the others.
DallasAg 94
PatAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Ryno01 said:

So, your point is he hasn't advanced as much as the others and thus hasn't reached the Bigs?

That's what I don't get from some. Dog on Rougie who has had success, but having a down year, while Brinson has impressed enough to make it up. And when Brinson came up, he has been miserable. Same with Mazara. Put Mazara back in AAA and despite being a year younger than Brinson... would likely be raking. Yet, some think Mazara is now a bust because he is only hitting .243.
Ag2012
AG
The newest Rangers fan is 8 lbs 5 oz, and 21 inches long. Baby and momma are doing great and dad is ready to watch his first game with his boy tomorrow night.
PatAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

PatAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Ryno01 said:

So, your point is he hasn't advanced as much as the others and thus hasn't reached the Bigs?

That's what I don't get from some. Dog on Rougie who has had success, but having a down year, while Brinson has impressed enough to make it up. And when Brinson came up, he has been miserable. Same with Mazara. Put Mazara back in AAA and despite being a year younger than Brinson... would likely be raking. Yet, some think Mazara is now a bust because he is only hitting .243.
It's dumb to consider Mazara a bust too.

Rougie, however, is an entirely different beast. His approach at the plate is what most of us do not like.
MountainAg99
AG
Ag2012 said:

The newest Rangers fan is 8 lbs 5 oz, and 21 inches long. Baby and momma are doing great and dad is ready to watch his first game with his boy tomorrow night.

Congrats!
MSFC Aggie
AG
Ag2012 said:

Congrats! Get him a powder blue onesie.
MSFC Aggie
AG
For some reason, I have more confidence that Mazara will be ok. Hell, I have more confidence with Gallo than Odor. Just something about Odor that makes me think this is who he is.

My biggest disappointment is Profar. Really thought that guy would be something.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

What does that say? It says just about...nothing.

What'll say something is if he keeps improving into the player folks think he can be...or (like Profar) he keeps floundering year after year.

It's about performance and trends in performance. Whether they're 22, 23, 24 on a particular day is pretty low down the list of what matters to me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm not that worried about Odor. While I do think he's going to be a guy that puts up a lot of dumb AB's, the trade-off is some very significant power at 2B. And I do think the dumb AB's will decrease.

Kela is a very interesting situation. Between his demotion start the year when they were DESPERATE for bullpen production and now this news, it is screaming that there is an on-going issue between him and the coaching staff and/or teammates.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Agreed. Last thing the Rangers need to do is give up young, talented bullpen arms.
jtstanley4621
AG
I think the thing that makes Odor so frustrating is you just KNOW he could be a much better hitter. He just bats well below his potential. Doesn't really go the other way, and swings at pitches both at his eyes and at his shoelaces.

I do think that he'll eventually learn from these struggles, but it's so annoying to see him just get up there and have an awful AB, because you know he has the potential to be a lot better than that.
Baby Billy
AG
bigcat22 said:

Huell Babineaux said:

jtstanley4621 said:

bigcat22 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Guess.

He started the year in the minors due to the clubhouse incident mentioned in the article below, but I've also heard Evan Grant on The Ticket mention there's been multiple unreported dust ups with him and this year the team voted to not have him travel on the plane from Surprise with them.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2017/04/03/source-keone-kelas-surprise-demotion-revealed-edgy-relievers-future-rangers

I know
Mr Gigem
AG
My gut says we move Darvish, to the Dodgers for Verdugo, and then back a truck up to Ohtani. He never indicated that he HAS to play with Darvish. They just know each other and have the same agent. He just want to play in the AL so he hit more often.

Verdugo and Maz in the same outfield is pretty salty. Both have a great bat and a plus arm.
jtstanley4621
AG
So the rumor is if the Dodgers are willing to part with Verdugo, then we would pull the trigger.

Verdugo has some pretty great minor league stats. He's a lefty but it looks like he actually has pretty good plate discipline, and has hit for pretty good averages throughout his career so far, along with good power numbers. He would absolutely be an instant shot in the arm in terms of young outfield talent.

And as sad as this makes me to say, it sure would be nice to see a young Rangers left handed hitting young player hit for a good average and have good plate discipline. Verdugo has walked more than he's K'd this season. He's got good power to go along with good plate discipline.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Rangers need starting pitching.........desperately
Mr Gigem
AG
Which they are going to get when they back a truck up to Ohtani and outbid everyone else for his services
AggieDPT
AG
Give him a year with our hitting coach and he'll look like Odor
mhayden
There's really no true way to "back up the truck" with Otani unless something changes with his posting structure or you do some backroom stuff and risk getting sanctioned by the commissioner.

All of major market teams are going to be offering him around the same amount of money - it will come down to where he wants to play, not the money.

One thing of note with trading Darvish... Hypothetically if you get a guy like Verdugo and you are confident he is ready to take the next step, then you can pass on paying Gomez $10/m year over a few years and instead shift that extra $20-$30m towards your Darvish offer.
jtstanley4621
AG
AggieDPT said:

Give him a year with our hitting coach and he'll look like Odor
TXAggie2011
AG
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

What does that say? It says just about...nothing.

What'll say something is if he keeps improving into the player folks think he can be...or (like Profar) he keeps floundering year after year.

It's about performance and trends in performance. Whether they're 22, 23, 24 on a particular day is pretty low down the list of what matters to me.
One point is... at 22, 23... 24... 25... their age begins to dictate when they are a prospect, a journeyman... or just a good old fashion minor leaguer.

Another point is once they get to 22, 23... 24... you begin to lose team control and have to either protect them, or let them go.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621 said:

I think the thing that makes Odor so frustrating is you just KNOW he could be a much better hitter. He just bats well below his potential. Doesn't really go the other way, and swings at pitches both at his eyes and at his shoelaces.

I do think that he'll eventually learn from these struggles, but it's so annoying to see him just get up there and have an awful AB, because you know he has the potential to be a lot better than that.
Most of the players his age still touted as prospects and admired, do many of the same things Odor is doing. Only, they are doing them at AA or AAA. The reason Gallo was slow to be a regular is very similar, IMO.

Having said that... Odor is the only 2B to have multiple 20+ HR seasons before the age of 24. There have been 3, maybe 4 SSs. He will get better. He admires the long ball, but he'll improve his ABs as he gets more experience.
DallasAg 94
free_mhayden said:

There's really no true way to "back up the truck" with Otani unless something changes with his posting structure or you do some backroom stuff and risk getting sanctioned by the commissioner.

All of major market teams are going to be offering him around the same amount of money - it will come down to where he wants to play, not the money.

One thing of note with trading Darvish... Hypothetically if you get a guy like Verdugo and you are confident he is ready to take the next step, then you can pass on paying Gomez $10/m year over a few years and instead shift that extra $20-$30m towards your Darvish offer.
You think Gomez gets only $10M/yr?

I like the way you are thinking.

If we can get a player like Verdugo, even if he is a 2019 guy, we'll save money on CF.

The way to structure Otani is to buyout his Arb years. Darvish went 6yr/$56M plus a $50M posting, IIRC. If you sign him for your IFA pool max available, with an understanding you'll offer say 6yr/$XXM, you buy his 3 serf years and 3 Arb years. Any team can do that, and I don't know that it would be considered a "back room" deal. That is how I expect things to go down.

Any way it goes, the next few days and the off season are going to be fun. And it will be a heart breaker for some.
Baby Billy
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 246 of 344

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.