All Star Game No Longer Determines WS Home Field

4,529 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank god that stupidity is over.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/report-new-cba-nixes-home-field-advantage-for-mlb-all-star-game-winner-120116.amp.html
PacifistAg
AG
I was somewhat okay with it only if they didn't let fans decide the starting lineup and it was treated like a real game w/ regards to substitutions. Since they didn't, I wholeheartedly approve of this change.
titanmaster_race
I think cumulative record of interleague play would be an interesting way of determining which league gets home advantage.

That said, picking the pennant winner with the better record is simple, direct, and fair.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Well fair except for the fact that the two teams might not play anywhere near equal strength of schedule.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think in the professional leagues that's not quite the issue it is in college. Also, it's immensely better than having players decide if who are on a glorified vacation.
jkag89
titanmaster_race said:

I think cumulative record of interleague play would be an interesting way of determining which league gets home advantage.
I think this would be the best way to determine home field advantage with the All-Star Game used in the unlikely event of a .500 record in interleave play. As it is I'm fine with the team with the best record getting home field.
PacifistAg
AG
Meh, just go back to alternating. Much easier that way.
Say Chowdah
AG
I think that the combined interleague record of AL vs NL would be the most fair.

With the unbalanced schedules, a team that plays in a tougher division will not have as strong a record as a team that emerged from a weaker division.

With that said, alternating years would be ok as well.
Say Chowdah
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Well fair except for the fact that the two teams might not play anywhere near equal strength of schedule.
This.

A team coming from the AL East is going to play each other team 19 times a season. That is significantly more difficult than a team from the NL East.
Mozart Paintings
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Same could be said for NBA and NHL but they make it work. Granted, at least in those leagues everyone plays everyone at least twice. But the two conferences are definitely not the same strength, especially in the NBA. (And maybe NHL but I don't know hockey well enough)
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I haven't given it much thought, and maybe someone has and can chime in... what would be the downside to just going by the head-to-head record of whichever two teams make the World Series, and then have some sort of overall interleague record worked in as a tiebreaker in the case of a split? Again, I haven't spent more than 30 seconds thinking of it, but could that work?
jkag89
Gramercy Riffs said:

I haven't given it much thought, and maybe someone has and can chime in... what would be the downside to just going by the head-to-head record of whichever two teams make the World Series, and then have some sort of overall interleague record worked in as a tiebreaker in the case of a split? Again, I haven't spent more than 30 seconds thinking of it, but could that work?
Actual head-to-head match ups are not likely to happen that often. Although spread trough out the entire season now, each team only plays six teams from the other league each season.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Ah... not sure how I've never paid attention to the fact that you don't play every team from the other league. Throw that idea in the trash then. Thanks
aggiederelict
I figured 162 games would be enough to figure out who the better team is.
Say Chowdah
AG
aggiederelict said:

I figured 162 games would be enough to figure out who the better team is.
So why play the World Series and/or playoffs?
PacifistAg
AG
While I would just go back to the alternating homefield advantage, I wouldn't be opposed to an exception stating that if you are a WC team, you don't get homefield during the World Series. Obviously there are some seasons with an insanely good WC team, but to me this puts much greater emphasis on winning your division.
aggiederelict
Why do anything ever? You are reaching. If you don't think 162 games is enough to determine who should get home field advantage I'm not sure what to tell you. Someone could say interleague records aren't balanced either.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I agree. There is no question the Cubs should have had game 7 at home. They were absolutely the best team during the regular season. In the end it didn't matter, but they got only 3 games of revenue while the Indians got 4.

Best record gets home field. It's not that hard. NBA and NHL have figured that out.
diehard03
Quote:

I agree. There is no question the Cubs should have had game 7 at home. They were absolutely the best team during the regular season. In the end it didn't matter, but they got only 3 games of revenue while the Indians got 4.

The Cubs don't win the WS if they have home field.
diehard03
Quote:

While I would just go back to the alternating homefield advantage, I wouldn't be opposed to an exception stating that if you are a WC team, you don't get homefield during the World Series. Obviously there are some seasons with an insanely good WC team, but to me this puts much greater emphasis on winning your division.

I don't how you want more emphasis on winning and then take it away by alternating homefield for the WS. Seems like 2 different mindsets.

Want to make the playoffs? Win more games.
Want to host the 1 game playoff? Win more games.
Want to avoid the 1 game playoff? Win more games.
Want to host the LCS? Win more games.
Want to host the WS? Hope your other leaguemates win more games or its an even/odd year. What? No. Win more games.
Goldie Wilson
Game 7 should be played at a rotating neutral site field
jkag89
Dan 07 said:

Game 7 should be played at a rotating neutral site field
Hell no!
Mozart Paintings
AG
We'll never know
titanmaster_race
I drove bus said:

It's not that hard. NBA and NHL have figured that out.

NHL used to do that. Now they have some really crappy method relating to divisions for seeding teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
diehard03
The Cubs had an American League line up with Schwarber and it clearly benefited them in the Game 7 win.

I don't think the Ricketts minded the trade off of 1 WS games of revenue for a increased chance to win that historic game.

You're not wrong in your principle of the discussion...it's just interesting that the way things worked out helped the Cubs this year.
Mozart Paintings
AG
True. But best record still has home ice
C Loves L
The players can now go back to not caring
MaroonStain
AG
No one does...
Sapper Redux
RetiredAg said:

I was somewhat okay with it only if they didn't let fans decide the starting lineup and it was treated like a real game w/ regards to substitutions. Since they didn't, I wholeheartedly approve of this change.

Bingo. They put big stakes on a dog-and-pony show without changing anything else. Either the game matters or it doesn't. Make up your mind.
Snoop Lion
91AggieLawyer
AG
I never had a problem with it. Maybe there are better ways to do this, but raw win total isn't one of them for various reasons. Interleague records still have many issues. It is by no means stupid and a much better idea than many other ways to decide.
PacifistAg
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I never had a problem with it. Maybe there are better ways to do this, but raw win total isn't one of them for various reasons. Interleague records still have many issues. It is by no means stupid and a much better idea than many other ways to decide.
I'd say it's "stupid" if you're going to still allow fans to choose the starters. I prefer the easy solution and alternate home field advantage on a yearly basis, and let the AS game remain an exhibition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.