*******Indians vs. Cubs*******

74,662 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr. White
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indians won't be back. Sure they had huge injuries, but still don't see that group making it back.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
Dallasag02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Theo Epstein is a curse breaker. He is going to keep the Cubs at the top for a long time.

Here come all the "lifelong Cubs fans" ala Red Sox fans 2004-2008.

Yep. They can't belive the curse is finally broken after literally days of being a fan.
TV Casualty
AG
Skinny Wrinkles said:

Dallasag02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Theo Epstein is a curse breaker. He is going to keep the Cubs at the top for a long time.

Yep. They can't belive the curse is finally broken after literally days of being a fan.

Good grief. So a baseball fan can't recognize the amazing job that Epstein has done for two organizations?

So many lopsided trades in favor of the cubs. He stole Hendricks from the Rangers. Somehow he managed to trade Scott Feldman for Jake Arrietta. Rizzo and Russell were both brought in from trades. A a baseball fan you have to recognize how much that organization has changed since Epstein has arrived.

Dallasag02
AG
TV Casualty said:

Dallasag02 said:

TV Casualty said:

I'm not a lifelong cubs fan. I'm a Rangers fan.

I have been living close to Chicago and I've enjoyed watching this team as it was put together over the last few years. Watching games at Wrigley is a special experience.

I'm happy for the Cubs and their die hard fans. As a Rangers fan I'm very jealous of this win and their future.

Right there with you, and wasn't meaning you. Just saying alot of bro's and white girls became "lifelong fans" at about midnight last night.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
TV Casualty said:

Skinny Wrinkles said:

Dallasag02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Good grief. So a baseball fan can't recognize the amazing job that Epstein has done for two organizations?

So many lopsided trades in favor of the cubs. He stole Hendricks from the Rangers. Somehow he managed to trade Scott Feldman for Jake Arrietta. Rizzo and Russell were both brought in from trades. A a baseball fan you have to recognize how much that organization has changed since Epstein has arrived.

Appreciation of what the Cubs have done is one thing. People that watch one game every few years saying they were in tears last night is another.
wangus12
AG
Skinny Wrinkles said:

TV Casualty said:

Skinny Wrinkles said:

Dallasag02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Appreciation of what the Cubs have done is one thing. People that watch one game every few years saying they were in tears last night is another.
Agreed. I liked watching the Cubs win and I'm happy for their fans. It was a great series. Pretty sure the only thing in sports that will move to tears is an Aggie NC. So maybe in January
Frok
AG
All of a sudden 75% of my facebook friends were die-hard Cub fans. I would guess 90% of those people didn't even watch a baseball game all year. Very annoying. But that is how bandwagon teams are.
W
AG
so now the longest World Series championships droughts belong to...

1. Indians (1948)
2. Senators/Rangers (1961)
3. Astros (1962)
4. Brewers (1969), Padres (1969), Expos/Nationals (1969)

5 of those 6 teams were expansion franchises in the 60's --- may be some kind of curse there
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
Frok said:

All of a sudden 75% of my facebook friends were die-hard Cub fans. I would guess 90% of those people didn't even watch a baseball game all year. Very annoying. But that is how bandwagon teams are.

One of my coworkers who self admittedly used to be a Cards (and never mentions baseball) fan wore a Cubs jersey and hat yesterday and said he was too excited to sleep.
Agnzona
They will now be worse than Cowboy t-shirt fans.
annie88
AG
Junkhead said:

Congrats to the Indians. What a great team. It sucks that they have to lose. How about a rematch next year?
NO. Astros.
pasquale
AG
Sex Panther said:

I love this thread for so many reasons especially with Cubs winning, but this scene cracks me up!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Skinny Wrinkles said:

Frok said:

One of my coworkers who self admittedly used to be a Cards (and never mentions baseball) fan wore a Cubs jersey and hat yesterday and said he was too excited to sleep.
I hate those kind of "fans" more than anyone.
Hesatouchdown
Frok said:

My uncle came by wearing and Cardinals shirt. Said he's really a Cubs fan. Didn't even know he liked baseball. Had to let him know a Cubs fan would never wear that ****, especially during game 7!
titanmaster_race
Game 7 is probably the most exciting/entertaining/insane baseball game I have ever watched. A silver lining of not having my team in the game was actually being able to sit back and enjoy it instead of having heart attack after heart attack.

My Papa is from Chicago and has always been a Cubs fan. It's awesome that he got to see them break the curse during his lifetime.
AgShaun00
AG
that game took a few years off my life.
rsf0626
that whole game gave me flashbacks of 2011 world series Rangers v Cardinals, especially in the 8th.....it still hurts
Bunk Moreland

jkag89
All teams have a large number of "life long fans" that come out of the woodwork when they start winning. The bandwagon Cubbie fans will be annoying, still I'm happy for the true Cubs fans out there especially the regulars that have been posting on TexAgs for years.
Dallasag02
AG
True fans, absolutely. I'm thrilled for the longsuffering Cubs fans just like I was the actual Red Sox fans back in 2004.

The ones that are the worst are the ones who have lived in Dallas or Houston their whole lives but they know somebody whose grandma lived in Chicago in the 70's so naturally they've now been fans their whole lives.

There'll be a whole lot of people inventing connections to Chicago over the next couple of months.
Bunk Moreland
There's a guy who I'd call a casual friend who runs in the same circles as some other friends, and 2 straight years we went to the same Super Bowl Party.

First year was SB46, Pats vs. Giants. He shows up in a Brady jersey. I immediately start ribbing him, asking him how long he's been a Pats fan, were the Bulls his favorite team in the 90s as welll, etc.

He goes into how he's loved Brady since he first came in for Bledsoe (when we were probably 14), and he's always rooted for them. So anyways, loved watching "his team" go down.

Next year I show up to the same guy's super bowl party, and there this guy is wearing a 49ers jersey. I immediately put him on friendly blast, asking him what the hell. He goes into this whole thing about the 49ers have ALWAYS been his team as a little kid due to Joe Montana. He just roots for the Pats because he loves Brady, but he's a 49ers team guy for life.

Last night I couldn't help but think wherever he is, he had a Cubs shirt on.
ThreeFive
AG
May I PM you my connection to Chicago? I'd like to have my credibility checked before get too excited.
Out in Left Field
AG
I had a Chicago style pizza once.

GO CUBS!
Jaydoug
AG
I lost a bag in O'Hare, once.
Jaydoug
AG
Ddp
Mozart Paintings
AG
How do you have two different icons for a "double post"?
Seven Costanza
AG
Regarding the bandwagon fans:

I don't really have any connections to the city, but I grew up as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s watching Harry Caray, Maddux, Sandberg, Grace, Dunston, and Dawson on WGN every day after school. I always wore 23 in Little League because of Sandberg and would pretend I was Maddux when playing catch with my dad in the front yard every evening in the summer. The old stadium, the announcer, the ivy, the fans in the bleachers, the "take me out to the ballgame". I loved all of it. As I became a teenager, I stopped watching the Cubs and eventually stopped caring about them at all (to the point where I was actually rooting for the Indians in this series), but I still think it's really neat to see them finally win one. I imagine there are a lot of people with a similar history that called themselves Cubs fans this week and I think that's fine.
Dallasag02
AG
I had a similar story. Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, we're some of the first baseball players I could name thanks to WGN after school/in the summers.

Not a Cubs fan, but those afternoon games are fond memories.
AgShaun00
AG
Dallasag02 said:

I had a similar story. Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, we're some of the first baseball players I could name thanks to WGN after school/in the summers.

Not a Cubs fan, but those afternoon games are fond memories.
Forgot shawon dunston
Dallasag02
AG
I actually typed his name, but for some reason it didn't come out in the post. Maybe Texags hates Shawn Dunston?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Mr. White
Seven Costanza said:

Regarding the bandwagon fans:

I don't really have any connections to the city, but I grew up as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s watching Harry Caray, Maddux, Sandberg, Grace, Dunston, and Dawson on WGN every day after school. I always wore 23 in Little League because of Sandberg and would pretend I was Maddux when playing catch with my dad in the front yard every evening in the summer. The old stadium, the announcer, the ivy, the fans in the bleachers, the "take me out to the ballgame". I loved all of it. As I became a teenager, I stopped watching the Cubs and eventually stopped caring about them at all (to the point where I was actually rooting for the Indians in this series), but I still think it's really neat to see them finally win one. I imagine there are a lot of people with a similar history that called themselves Cubs fans this week and I think that's fine.

This is me, too. I still remember a commercial advertising a place of business with the phone # 222-2222.

I couldn't get enough Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith rookie cards. Grace vs. Clark in the '89 NLCS. Zimmer, Dawson, Sandberg.

I miss the old WGN. TBS, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.