Tebow

4,785 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 94chem
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone else intrigued by Tebow giving baseball a shot? I realize the odds are stacked against him, most think he'll fail, and some are even offended that he thinks he can just pick up a bat and be a professional baseball player, but I'm eager to see how he does.

Rick Ankiel was a major league pitcher that lost his control, picked up the bat and became a major league outfielder, so it's not impossible. Yes, Ankiel had ABs as a national league pitcher, but he hadn't been an everyday hitter since high school. If you have the natural ability and the work ethic, it's possible.

I often wonder how many people miss out on being great at something just because they never gave it a try. This is especially true for sports like baseball, golf, NASCAR, etc. where you don't have to be a tremendous athlete. Maybe you can throw 90+ but never picked up a ball. Maybe you have unbelievable hand-eye coordination, but never tried to hit a ball with stick. Maybe you can control a car at 200 mph, but top out your Honda at 72 on the interstate.

Anyway, it's likely that we'll never see Tebow roaming the outfield in a major league stadium, but it'll be cool to watch him try, much like it was with Jordan.
Mozart Paintings
AG
This is nothing like Jordan. He was the most famous athlete in the world at the top of his game.

Tebow is a desperate athlete trying to hang on.
PacifistAg
AG
I'm not intrigued w/ Tebow in terms of being an actual quality baseball player. I'm sure he'll crush the batting practice soft stuff they throw up there. His problem will be breaking stuff. Ankiel at least saw breaking stuff and I would imagine had an easier transition because he could identify pitches out of the pitcher's hand. Tebow has no real experience at that, and he'll be eaten alive by even Low A breaking balls.

But, I am intrigued w/ him as a minor league attraction. Some team will sign him as a way to boost attendance for a low level minor league club. After the novelty wears off, he'll be released.
powerbelly
AG
Tebow needs to go learn rugby.

He has been out of baseball too long.
KT 90
AG
Tebow just wants the attention. Plus he and some low level A ball team will make some money off of it. He could just travel throughout the Florida Gulf Coast league and sign autographs before/after the games for $xxx a pop and make a killing from all of the Florida Gator fans.

LeFraud
I'm intrigued. It's not like he's never picked up a bat before. I wouldn't count him out, as he probably enjoys proving people wrong. He'd still be in the NFL if hadnt gotten black balled.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
I'm intrigued. It's not like he's never picked up a bat before. I wouldn't count him out, as he probably enjoys proving people wrong. He'd still be in the NFL if hadnt gotten black balled.
Black balled for what? He's not in the league because his skills are lacking.
TXAggie2011
AG
Sure. I'm interested to see how he does.

LeFraud
quote:
quote:

How many quarterbacks in the league have won a playoff game?
BMX Bandit
Was the question too difficult for you?
Corporal Punishment
AG
I'd love to see him succeed. Wish he would've started sooner, though.
94chem
quote:
Anybody who watched Brian Hoyer should know that Tim Tebow should be in somebody's camp.

I'm still waiting for Kevin Murray to get his shot, though.
cmiller00
AG
I don't know that black balled is the the term I would use but I get what you mean. Most teams just don't want to mess with the distraction and media that comes along with everything he does. His potential to add to the team apparently doesn't offset the distraction in the opinion of most NFL personnel managers.

Manziel will have the same issue if he ever wants to make a comeback.
cmiller00
AG
Will be interesting to see how he does but the lack of baseball insticts from so many years not playing will be tough to overcome. He's still young but not baseball prospect young. By all accounts he's a hard worker and good teammate so would like to see him succeed. If it were just about the money IMHO he would just stick to broadcasting and working in college football.
Sapper Redux
quote:
Tebow needs to go learn rugby.

He has been out of baseball too long.

He'd make an epic Prop.
coastalAg
AG
I saw a quote from a scout on twitter that said if his swing was any longer it would take out the front row. He is already 29 years old. He doesnt have a prayer.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

How many quarterbacks in the league have won a playoff game?
That doesn't really answer the question. What was he supposedly black-balled for? Just winning a playoff game doesn't guarantee that you'll be in the league 5 years later. As someone referenced above, he brings a massive amount of media coverage. He's not good enough to justify the headache and circus.
astros4545
AG
He ran a 6.7 second 60 yd dash
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
He ran a 6.7 second 60 yd dash
I would imagine that's not much of a surprise. His athleticism isn't the issue. Identifying pitches as they leave the pitcher's hand and being able to hit professional breaking stuff is what will kill his chances.

iBrad
AG
So similar to his throwing motion coming out of college.
iBrad
AG
Here are some videos. Lots of power, but a tad stiff. Not unlike other muscle bound players, though. Seems he's struggling against live pitching, which should be expected considering how little he's faced. Indy ball would have been better than a showcase like this.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano

Ag_07
AG
Damn that swing looks slow and long.

Good luck catching up to a 96+ FB with that swing.
AustinCountyAg
I can't believe pro teams actually sent scouts to watch this crap.
iBrad
AG
quote:
I can't believe pro teams actually sent scouts to watch this crap.

28 of them sent a scout. He'll be a money maker for someone's minor league team.
powerbelly
AG
I was thinking flanker or large scrum-half, but he could play somewhere.
Macarthur
I tend to fall into the camp of it's an attention getting ploy. That's been my issue with him all along.

And being old baseball player, it's pretty disrespectful of guys that have spend years riding buses and staying ****t8y hotels trying to find their way.

As for the blackball thing, Tebow could have contributed to a team in other areas but he was stubborn and refused to work on anything but QB. He could very well still be in the league if he were willing to do H-back or something like that. Does that strike you as an 'anything for the team' guy? Frankly, and I know this will prob be a thread derailler, I think the guy is a tool and there's some boarderline fraud in him.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
Frankly, and I know this will prob be a thread derailler, I think the guy is a tool and there's some boarderline fraud in him.
Completely agree. He could 100% be in the league at a position other than QB.
. . .
Mets have signed Tebow to a minor league deal.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
He could very well still be in the league if he were willing to do H-back or something like that.

You KNOW this for a fact??

I don't know, but I would argue that this isn't an option. Tebow is, at worst, a servicable backup for many teams and a DECENT third string QB for just about every team. With between 48 and 64 of those positions out there and him not being on an NFL roster, it tells me that the NFL teams, for whatever reason, do not want him on their roster. Period. Perhaps some have tried and they can't come to a contract agreement, but this would have gotten out.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
He could very well still be in the league if he were willing to do H-back or something like that.

You KNOW this for a fact??

I don't know, but I would argue that this isn't an option. Tebow is, at worst, a servicable backup for many teams and a DECENT third string QB for just about every team. With between 48 and 64 of those positions out there and him not being on an NFL roster, it tells me that the NFL teams, for whatever reason, do not want him on their roster. Period. Perhaps some have tried and they can't come to a contract agreement, but this would have gotten out.

Of course, I do not know this for a fact, but there is no question the guy is a great athlete and I think he could fill a role like that pretty well.

As for your second point, I could turn the tables on you and say, how in the world could you say this when every team has had 3 years now to sign him? The dude is not an NFL QB. Period.

What reason do YOU think NFL teams don't want him on a roster?
Macarthur
As a side note, anyone hear Joel Klatt go off on Tebow on The Ticket? WOW.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
And being old baseball player, it's pretty disrespectful of guys that have spend years riding buses and staying ****t8y hotels trying to find their way.
If he refuses to ride the bus and stay in ****ty hotels, then it is disrespectful of the process and the other guys who struggle to stick around a minor league roster.

Until then, I can't get behind this vitriol. It reeks of sour grapes. "He's popular, people paid attention to his tryout but they didn't pay attention to mine!"

I know plenty of guys who have and are fighting it out in the minor leagues. They wouldn't think twice about taking the opportunity to have an open workout with 28 teams and have the media show up to it. Likewise, if they could get a look for an NFL quarterback position, they would take it, as well. And if a team picked them up, they'd take it and they'd try to make it as a quarterback.

Tebow did what we all would do, and its an unfair, no-win proposition for looking down upon him for this.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

Joel Klatt....

...who quit baseball during spring training after not getting promoted to the minor league team he wanted to be at after playing 1 and 1/2 seasons in baseball to go walk-on a college football team...and has since made a living as a shock-jock radio personality...

...is mad that Tim Tebow is trying minor league baseball after his NFL career didn't go where he wanted it to go?

Yeah, OK, man.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

Joel Klatt....

...who quit baseball during spring training after not getting promoted to the minor league team he wanted to be at after playing 1 and 1/2 seasons in baseball to go walk-on a college football team...and has since made a living as a shock-jock radio personality...

...is mad that Tim Tebow is trying minor league baseball after his NFL career didn't go where he wanted it to go?

Yeah, OK, man.

Yeah, that's him.
Macarthur
quote:

quote:
If he refuses to ride the bus and stay in ****ty hotels, then it is disrespectful of the process and the other guys who struggle to stick around a minor league roster.

Until then, I can't get behind this vitriol. It reeks of sour grapes. "He's popular, people paid attention to his tryout but they didn't pay attention to mine!"

I know plenty of guys who have and are fighting it out in the minor leagues. They wouldn't think twice about taking the opportunity to have an open workout with 28 teams and have the media show up to it. Likewise, if they could get a look for an NFL quarterback position, they would take it, as well. And if a team picked them up, they'd take it and they'd try to make it as a quarterback.

Tebow did what we all would do, and its an unfair, no-win proposition for looking down upon him for this.

We'll see just how committed he is.

I'm old enough that I don't have sour grapes. I came to grips with my lack of ability a long time ago. What I do tend to value in people of all walks is folks that are genuine. At the risk of again derailing the thread, that's been my issue with Tebow for quite some time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.