My Oldest Son's HS Baseball Journey

47,922 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TAM85
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sixteen years of baseball down and one year to go for my son. Season over as they got eliminated fro their conference tournament. School set a record for victories this year which was nice. Son's year was up then down. Got in a rut mid conference with three bad outings in a row where he was wild. Had a couple of decent follow up appearances later in conference. He is committed to going out with a bang next year - to work hard in the summer to be read for next fall camp.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
CinchAG97
Well, my son's high school baseball journey has come to an end. We were knocked out of the playoffs today. It was a pretty emotional day because it always ends sooner than anyone wants or expects. My son went out with a good last game - 2-3 with a double and a sac fly RBI. He ends the season batting .511 with 6 HR and 40 RBI in 29 games. Final record 25-4. I could not be more proud of him and his performance this season. I'm proud of his team and the success they had. It was a hell of a year. Now, he takes his next step and moves into college ball next year. It'll be a big step up, but I'm looking forward to him developing at the next level.

I might continue to update this thread from time to time, but for now, the journey is complete.
96ags
AG
Never posted much on this thread, but I'm going to get to see my son play his last high school game at Round Rock in the state tournament!

Pretty cool experience to watch a group of boys put years of work into a goal and make it happen!
Psychag
AG
Wish I had seen this post earlier. My son has also completed his high school baseball career about a month ago (knocked out of 2nd round). It was very emotional for mom and dad. Not as much for him because high school baseball was such a grind. But he will miss his teammates. We will be headed out in about a month for his new journey into College Baseball. No one understands how Summer Ball is a lifestyle unless they've had the same experience. How we will miss driving at sunrise for tournaments and spend summers with fellow baseball parents. All of a sudden it's gone. I had never missed a game he pitched, and only missed about 3 games total. Now I will inevitably miss games but watch streamed. Congrats on your son's journey and wish you continued baseball bliss.
94chem
Take a real vacation somewhere far away and cool. You will heal faster.
CinchAG97
A quick bump on this thread because my son got his first college start at DH on Saturday and went 2-4 with an RBI. Got a hit in his first ever college AB and followed that up with his second hit and first RBI in his second AB.

He's behind a 3 year starter at catcher so his innings behind the plate will be very limited. But he's shown that he can compete at the plate, so it looks like he will get some ABs from time to time. I gotta say I'm proud of him to see some success so early in his college career.
Thriller
AG
Can I join?

My son finished tryouts today with team selections announced tomorrow. Like many on this thread, this will be the first year I haven't coached him. I'm looking forward to seeing some ball from behind the fence this year.
agswin1988
AG
and now it has all been put on hold. I have 2 on varsity this year, one is a senior, so he is bummed that this is the way it might finish. At least he got to catch his younger brother in their teams last game and they won it so they might have that as a consolation prize
gigemhilo
AG
I'm hoping we get back on the field in time for summer ball... we had a busy summer planned out ending with a couple showcases.

Have you guys heard anything about Perfect Game's plans or WWBA? Most of what we had planned was through those 2 orgs.

We are early in the journey so I'm not real worried about him missing out - we were just looking forward to him playing and beginning the "recruiting" process.

And I feel terrible for all the seniors if this is truly the end for them.
agswin1988
AG
Our coach told the kids just this last week that what was relayed to him from uil is that plan as of now is to start practicing may 4 week for 1 week.

Then play 2 weeks of district only games or district tournament to determine top 4 teams. Then, following monday, 1st round of playoffs, same week on Friday is second round of playoffs.

3rd round is following Monday, 4th round followed on Friday. All playoff games would be mandated 1 game playoffs. No choice of 3 games like in the past.

Hope this happens so they get to play even a little bit more
_lefraud_
AG
Austin ISD closed indefinitely, and more school districts will follow. The UIL needs to start looking at Volleyball and Football options for the 2021 school year, the 2020 year is a wash.
WES2006AG
AG
agswin1988 said:

Our coach told the kids just this last week that what was relayed to him from uil is that plan as of now is to start practicing may 4 week for 1 week.

Then play 2 weeks of district only games or district tournament to determine top 4 teams. Then, following monday, 1st round of playoffs, same week on Friday is second round of playoffs.

3rd round is following Monday, 4th round followed on Friday. All playoff games would be mandated 1 game playoffs. No choice of 3 games like in the past.

Hope this happens so they get to play even a little bit more
I think your coach may be engaged in some wishful thinking. I umpire HS baseball and would love to get back on the field this year but I don't see it happening. The conditions don't seem to be improving enough to reopen schools this year much less worry about athletics. Just my opinion, and I'd like to be wrong, but I think this year is done.
gigemhilo
AG
The talk I heard from our golf coach is that if the city schools aren't back by May, it will probably be a wash unless the UIL plans to play in the summer. Their "spring sport deadline" was 2nd week of may (I think) before all this started.

Basically, the train of thought was if one is not back, then they cant move forward. He is involved in the planning of tournaments so he seemed to have a little inside info.
alvtimes
First of all fellas..... and ladies... I hate this for yall missing out on your boys.... especially those with seniors.... some of best times are sitting in those rock hard bleacher watching my boys..... Im wondering (if school ever kicks back off) if everyone can get in a few practices then grab a couple scrimmages (basically start season from the very beginning) .... then go into a long week of double elim tournament to set playoff seedings????? Some UIL deadlines may have to be kick back a bit, but dang at least there is a glimmer of hope!!! Probably wishin in one hand............!
lespaul
AG
I have senior HS baseball player and our coach has relayed the same message of a shortened season followed by playoffs. The baseball parents are hoping for this.

I'm afraid that they are using extreme wishful thinking. I don't see any more HS baseball for these seniors. College baseball is cancelled, the NBA may be as well, Wimbledon, etc and we are going to get folks to congregate for a HS sport in a month from now? I just don't see it happening. Really stinks. I doubt school will open again (why open in May just for a few weeks?).

What's more, lots of the players are trying to get scholarships which is hard this year as many college seniors will be allowed back.

Like most baseball parents, I have spent a huge portion of the last nine years planning my life around baseball. Tons of travel and great friends, life lessons etc. Its likely all over and it is less than ideal how it ended (some a-hole ate a bat and robbed my son of his senior year baseball). I am trying to simply be thankful for the journey. It's been a heck of a ride and I am grateful.
agsalaska
AG
Yep. It absolutely sucks.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
94chem
One day in May of 1990 I went out with my team to play Arlington Martin, led by Todd Van Poppel. Van Poppel wasn't pitching that day, and I wasn't in the lineup. The game went really fast. They had a lefty who was pitching to contact, and our guy did the same. Sometime in the middle innings, we got a rally going, bases loaded, nobody out, and scored a run on a double play ball and then hit the next pitch for the 3rd out. It was a 7 pitch inning. Never seen anything like it. That run held up, and we won our last game 1-0. It took 1 hour and 7 minutes. There were no playoffs. No pinch hit appearance. Just the end of the season, the moms giving away leftovers from the concession stand, and going home. It's been 30 years, and I've never been in another baseball game. 10 years of my life and just like that, it was over.

You know what? The sun came up the next day. Life had other lessons to learn. For those who've played their last games, remember that it ends for EVERYBODY at some point. Hope you had a good ride.
agsalaska
AG
Yea I feel really bad for the seniors. My kids are missing out, but they are 8 and 11. And they will probably find some tournaments at least over the summer.

It's over for 95% of the seniors in all sports and all levels. And they lost their last season.

Terrible for them
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
MAROON
AG
My son was a senior at a D3. He broke his wrist (pitching hand) in January so he was on the DL for the entire season. Got his cast off the week COVID panic hit. They had a double header vs a team from Iowa and it became very apparent that was the last games of the season and his career. First game got cancelled due to fog. Finally got the second game started. My son had not thrown a competitive pitch all spring but told his coach under no circumstances was he not going to pitch. He pitched the 9th inning. Struck out the first two. Next beater hit a fly ball to left field which our left field ran in circles a few times and couldn't catch (coach called me later and said it was an error) - should have been a clean final inning. Next guy hit a double, then he hit a batter, next guy hit a homer, he hit the next batter, next guy hit a double. I could tell he was exhausted on the mound - did I mention he had just gotten the cast off his wrist that week! Got the last batter to a 3-2 count and struck him out. So three strikeouts his last inning ever. Needless to say I was bawling watching it on-line.

He technically still has a year of eligibility left, but D3 doesn't give schollies, so 17 years of Little league, all stars, summer travel, High school, and college ball ended that March afternoon. It was a helluva run and I'm a richer Dad from the journey with him. All the best to all of you who still get to enjoy watching your kids play ball.

My son and his fellow seniors after their last game

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Psychag
AG
As everyone, my son's freshman season at Wake Forest was cut short, but not before he had an opportunity to pitch 2 innings (game was a blowout by Louisville) on the last weekend of baseball. He came in the 8th with bases loaded and 0 outs and ended the inning with only one run scored. Came in the 9th and finished game. Very proud parents and we got to see it in person.

Flash forward and he participated in the CSBI Tournament at Bombers field-quite the experience.

He was invited to play for Tulsa Drillers in the TCL. We dropped in off earlier yesterday. What an experience this will be for him , as the head coach coaches summer ball in Cape Cod league-where my son's goal lies next summer. Exciting times when we thought this would be an uneventful baseball summer.
TAM85
Good to hear that. We are doing 15U, and play our second tournament this weekend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.