HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

432,740 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think Jon Daniels has not been a great drafter based on years of Jon Daniels drafting relatively few guys who made positive impacts at the MLB level.

You keep making these kinds of statements. I have presented you with data that refutes this. I think the disconnect is that you don't realize how rarely major league draft picks "succeed". To put it in perspective, Theo Epstein has only drafted 12 players that were on major league rosters in 2016 in the same time frame that Daniels has been GM.
Yeah, I saw your statistic, don't know if its accurate or not***, but I doubt anyone cares much that Corey Luebke had the honor to post a 9.35 ERA over 8.2 innings this season or that Nick Tepesch got throw 4 innings with an 11.35 ERA with the Dodgers.

You'll have to read my full posts to understand what I'm saying. If you disagree with it, that's fine, but to say I just keep repeating that line with nothing else to say is disingenuous.

***12 for Theo Epstein is total BS. He has 8 from his 2011 draft alone. Including 2 All-Stars.

3 more from 2010 and 4 more from 2009 and we're already at 15.
TXAggie2011
AG
Kris Bryant
Anthony Rizzo
Mookie Betts
Jackie Bradley

4 of the 20 starters at the All-Star game were drafted by Theo Epstein.

And for good measure, Xander Boegarts was an amateur free agent signing by Epstein.
747Ag
AG
Tobias Funke
AG
Another 1-run win. 8.5 game lead.

This team sucks
747Ag
AG
hawk1689
AG
I was actually unaware that Luebke and Tepesch played this year. That makes 28 for JD. I may have missed a couple of Epstein's guys too. I'm not as familiar with the Cubs and Sox as I am with the Rangers. Whether JD has twice as many, more than twice as many, or almost twice as many seems a little irrelevant. I was just giving you a a point of comparison for success rates.
mhayden
I'm not all that high on Moreland, but if your 17th round draft pick gives you 7 years and a 6.1 WAR, you did alright.
TXAggie2011
AG
Its probably not going to be close to twice as many if in a 3 year period Epstein is already at 15.

And no doubt Moreland was a good find for the 17th round. But he's nevertheless been below average to average during his career and my point is he's made as much impact as anyone Daniels drafted in the 1st round, and so on.

I'm sure everyone who has been through enough drafts has stumbled upon a decent guy or two outside the top rounds that's been an OK player.

Jon Daniels is a fine GM and the results speak for themselves. He does a lot of things well. I don't think for most of JD's tenure he and their scouting apparatus have drafted well from the standpoint of guys going on and putting together meaningful MLB careers.

Obviously they do some other things pretty well, including being pretty good at playing the international market.

Maybe their scouting network in Latin America has just been better at what they do. I don't know.

They win, that's really all that matters. Sequencing be damned.

Back to the **** talk.
hawk1689
AG
quote:
Its probably not going to be close to twice as many if in a 3 year period Epstein is already at 15.

Apparently there are a lot more injury call-ups and relief pitchers out there than I was aware. A research fail on my part. I'll own that.

I'd still wager that the numbers are close. I'd also argue that this would still lend credence to my argument that JD is not as bad of a drafter as you believe. Theo Epstein is considered by many to be the best GM in baseball. If Daniels hit rate is even close, that is impressive to me.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Apparently there are a lot more injury call-ups and relief pitchers out there than I was aware. A research fail on my part. I'll own that.
It would seem so. You counted 12 players that Epstein drafted that have played MLB this season?

Since 2006, I counted Theo Epstein drafted 41 players that have played in MLB this season. (5 of them were All-Stars. Many more are regular starters, some of which have been All-Stars at other points in their career.)

I'll help you out, and point out, that I also counted 41 guys that Jon Daniels drafted have played in MLB this season. Several have had good seasons, I think at least 1 made the All-Star game (Pomeranz). Because I am fair.

But you're still missing my point---I'm talking about quality moreso than quantity. The nature of MLB roster rules is that the numbers tend to even out among teams. (In fact, GMs that have run their franchises into the ground have lots of guys that have played in MLB because they filter though a bunch of young, cheap players trying to rebuild.)

The 54-76 Arizona Diamondbacks have played at least 13 guys that they drafted. The 55-73 Cincinnati Reds have played at least 17 guys that they drafted.

For comparisons' sake, the Rangers have played 9.
hawk1689
AG
Part of the discrepancy is that you are counting guys that did not sign. I'm willing to acknowledge that my count was off, but I don't think it's relevant to discuss players that never made it into the organizations. A player's "signability" is part of drafting well. I have also never made the assertion that Daniels is a better drafter than Epstein. I was simply pointing out how often prospects make it to major league careers. I also amended my argument to point out that JD's players make it to the league just as often as one of the better GM's in baseball. I mistakenly thought it was more often based on lazy research and a reliance on my clearly fallible name recognition skills. Your research has shown that it is on par. The quality of the Rangers draft results is subjective. I believe it is average to good. You do not. I looked for some research online regarding the draft success of current GM's. It was not available. If you know of some, please share.
TXAggie2011
AG
I did not count the guys that did not sign.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
quote:

Hey, guys. How is Gomez doing since his HR that didn't really factor into the outcome of the game?

Good news is he should help cool the ballpark with all of those swings and misses.

Well, he's playing for a first place team and you're paying for it. The things that y'all cling to right now..... I guess when you have absolutely nothing else, I can understand it

That's like saying an anchor floats when it's on a boat. Fill the boat with anchors and see what happens.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Houston can't afford to pay for 8 more anchors, so we'll be ok.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey, guys. How is Gomez doing since his HR that didn't really factor into the outcome of the game?

Good news is he should help cool the ballpark with all of those swings and misses.

Well, he's playing for a first place team and you're paying for it. The things that y'all cling to right now..... I guess when you have absolutely nothing else, I can understand it

That's like saying an anchor floats when it's on a boat. Fill the boat with anchors and see what happens.
In any case, it's just one anchor, so that doesn't make a lick of sense.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Looks like we have to help the Astros make the playoffs... again.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Gomez grand slam
wbt5845
AG
BryanAggie2013
AG
quote:

Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
Gomez grand slam

Houston just paying to have us help their little wild card run
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Gomez grand slam
I remember when I thought Gomez would figure it out too. The tease is strong in that one.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Gomez grand slam
I remember when I thought Gomez would figure it out too. The tease is strong in that one.
Figured it out or not, that's 4 runs on one swing that the Astros are paying for.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
Gomez grand slam
Petey working so hard at it. Bless your heart.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
quote:
Gomez grand slam

Because Deshields or Rua was going to do that
DannyDuberstein
AG
3 run HR, grand slam, a couple of great defensive plays (one likely saved the 2-1 W). Still not too shabby even with all of the K's.
Mr Gigem
AG
All that matters is the Rangers still have an 8.5 game lead in the division. And the Astros are paying for a guy that has done nothing but help solidify that lead
ChoppinDs40
AG
quote:
3 run HR, grand slam, a couple of great defensive plays (one likely saved the 2-1 W). Still not too shabby even with all of the K's.
that's right - and again, Gomez wasn't brought here to be a world beater. He was to replace our All-star caliber leadoff right fielder who's out for the year.
JABQ04
AG
Gomez is welcome to stay with y'all up north. What's his BA since he was called up? He's hit two Clutch HRs so congrats. He hit a few with us too, but the 0- 20 gaps in between his occasional hits are killers. Plenty of *****ing on your own thread about how much he sucks until he smacks a rare HR.

In short have fun with Gomez. He sucks. Want Fiers as well?
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's not like the alternative is Mike Trout. It was Drew Stubbs or Delino Deshields,
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
Gomez is welcome to stay with y'all up north. What's his BA since he was called up? He's hit two Clutch HRs so congrats. He hit a few with us too, but the 0- 20 gaps in between his occasional hits are killers. Plenty of *****ing on your own thread about how much he sucks until he smacks a rare HR.

Show me all of the *****ing
PacifistAg
AG
quote:

Considering the Astros are paying him to play for the Rangers, then we'll take it. Our lineup isn't so thin that we have to rely on someone like Gomez to carry it. The guy is the #8 hitter.
JABQ04
AG
Read your thread.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
the 0- 20 gaps in between his occasional hits are killers.

They've won 6 out of 7 since he joined, and are leading #8.

I'd say he isn't "killing" anything at this point.
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
Read your thread.

No. Be a good boy and copy all the *****ing from our thread and then post it over here
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
the 0- 20 gaps in between his occasional hits are killers.

They've won 6 out of 7 since he joined, and are leading #8.

I'd say he isn't "killing" anything at this point.
Not to mention, he now has 8 RBI and 2 HR halfway through his 7th game.
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.