HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

433,088 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And mind you this is all while Anaheim, Seattle and Oakland have been underachieving. That's the thing about stockpiling young talent and playing for a "window" -- there's no guarantees that the other teams in the division won't have a window at that same time.
Ag2012
AG
On the bright side they should be able to stock up some good young talent again.
mhayden
quote:
On the bright side they should be able to stock up some good young talent again.

Until the front office starts actually spending money like a big market club, they are essentially the Tampa Bay Rays of the AL West. Every 3 or 4 years the young talent will put it together for a nice 1 or 2 year run and then they lose them to free agency and have to replenish the farm again.

Except when Tampa had those 1 or 2 year runs they had a Joe Maddon at the helm... Not an AJ Hinch.
Mr Gigem
AG
I noticed you Astros fans are talking about me on your thread. I hope y'all don't really think me posting on this site as a Rangers employee threatens my job security
ebdb_bnb
quote:
I noticed
Mr Gigem
AG
Can you remind me when the rent is due?

Apparently I occupy so much space in your head even though I barely post on this thread
ebdb_bnb
The 90s called, they want their burn back.
CrawlingNo5
AG
Did they also ask you for yours as well?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:

Ironic.
747Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Ironic.
Indeed.

Cappo
AG
All these injuries this year to key players and the Rangers still are one of the best teams in the league.
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
The Houston Astros are on pace for 83 wins, just three below their projected win total of 86. They currently, however, will be watching the playoffs on television, which means all 55 FanGraphs voters will be wrong.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/17362295/surprises-disappointments-started-offseason-moves
dave94
Gigem Trevas
quote:
quote:
The Houston Astros are on pace for 83 wins, just three below their projected win total of 86. They currently, however, will be watching the playoffs on television, which means all 55 FanGraphs voters will be wrong.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/17362295/surprises-disappointments-started-offseason-moves
Ag_07
AG
About the earlier Bregman smack

quote:
3B: Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)
6 G, .393/.433/.786, 6 R, 11 H, 2 2B, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 2 BB, 9 SO

Baseball's top prospect reached the Majors 13 months after the Astros made him the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 Draft, and he didn't let a 1-for-32 start in Houston get him down. Bregman has batted .315/.370/.534 in 17 games since and hit his first three big league homers last week. He also has played nifty defense at third base, so the Astros will have to figure out someplace else to deploy Yulieski Gurriel.

BTW...How's Gallo fairing?
FW Declerk
quote:

quote:
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)

Baseball's top prospect reached the Majors 13 months after the Astros made him the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 Draft, and he didn't let a 1-for-32 start in Houston get him down. Bregman has batted .315/.370/.534 in 17 games since and hit his first three big league homers last week. He also has played nifty defense at third base, so the Astros will have to figure out someplace else to deploy Yulieski Gurriel.

Cool breeze he is on his way to being an all star
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)

Probably. I wouldn't be shocked if 2B, SS, & 3B were all Astros next ASG.
Ag2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)

Probably. I wouldn't be shocked if 2B, SS, & 3B were all Astros next ASG.
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:

quote:
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)

Alex is improving, but you are missing some games in the above stats. He has actually played in 26 games and has a .229 Average this year. In his first 20 games he was sub .200. Gallo has played (4) games and appeared for 1 bat in 2 others. His numbers were awful, but lets compare Apples to Apples.

Bregman first (6) full games - 22 AB, 1 Hit, 2 Walks, 5 Ks, No Runs/RBI, .045 Batting Average, .045 Slugging, .170 OPS

Gallo (4) full games and 1 AB in (2) others - 15 AB, 1 Hit (HR), 1 Walk, 9 Ks, 1 RBI/Run, .067 BA, .286 Slugging, .392 OPS

Gallo also didn't have the benefit of consecutive starts. He had 1 AB May 23, Started July 26th, 1 AB July 27th, and then started July 28,29,30 (These 3 were against the Royals). Pretty hard to establish any type of rhythm.

I fully expect Bregman to improve, but to write off Gallo is silly. Go back and look at Gallo last season for a better comparison to Bregman.

2016 Bregman 109 AB, .229 Avg, .404 Slug, .689 OBS, 4 HR, 14 RBI (7 Doubles - No Triples)
2015 Gallo 108 AB, .204 Avg. .417 Slug, .717 OPS, 6 HR, 14 RBI (3 Double - 1 Triple)

Very close......Unfortunately we don't have a spot for Gallo yet, but with Moreland's status, he just might end up being our 1st baseman next year.

Ag_07
AG
quote:
Unfortunately we don't have a spot for Gallo yet, but with Moreland's status, Gallo sucks and he couldn't beat out a 1Bman you currently have on waivers and a DH who needed career ending neck surgery, he just might you better hope he doesn't end up being your 1st baseman next year.

Did they explore the option of paying Gallo the league minimum vs tearing down the ballpark and building one with A/C?
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
(Astros' No. 1 prospect)

Alex is improving, but you are missing some games in the above stats. He has actually played in 26 games and has a .229 Average this year. In his first 20 games he was sub .200. Gallo has played (4) games and appeared for 1 bat in 2 others. His numbers were awful, but lets compare Apples to Apples.

Bregman first (6) full games - 22 AB, 1 Hit, 2 Walks, 5 Ks, No Runs/RBI, .045 Batting Average, .045 Slugging, .170 OPS

Gallo (4) full games and 1 AB in (2) others - 15 AB, 1 Hit (HR), 1 Walk, 9 Ks, 1 RBI/Run, .067 BA, .286 Slugging, .392 OPS

Gallo also didn't have the benefit of consecutive starts. He had 1 AB May 23, Started July 26th, 1 AB July 27th, and then started July 28,29,30 (These 3 were against the Royals). Pretty hard to establish any type of rhythm.

I fully expect Bregman to improve, but to write off Gallo is silly. Go back and look at Gallo last season for a better comparison to Bregman.

2016 Bregman 109 AB, .229 Avg, .404 Slug, .689 OBS, 4 HR, 14 RBI (7 Doubles - No Triples)
2015 Gallo 108 AB, .204 Avg. .417 Slug, .717 OPS, 6 HR, 14 RBI (3 Double - 1 Triple)

Very close......Unfortunately we don't have a spot for Gallo yet, but with Moreland's status, he just might end up being our 1st baseman next year.

Bregman plays a better defensive position, strikes out a ton less and gives up very little in power numbers. He is hands down far and away better than Gallo. If you were all honest with yourself, you'd trade Gallo for Bregman straight up 100% of the time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Given Gallo didn't require 4 years of sucking mlb **** like it's never been sucked before, I'll take him.
FW Declerk
quote:
Given Gallo didn't require 4 years of sucking mlb **** like it's never been sucked before, I'll take him.
What was that Gallo struck out again?
DannyDuberstein
AG
MLB should just give the Astros the top pick every year. That seems to be what it takes to keep them remotely competitive. Even with it, it's not like they are going to do any real damage in the standings or postseason anywAy. The only stipulation would be that they aren't allowed to make an trade deadline moves. But that's not a loss anyway. It could be called the Lunhow Clause.
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
quote:
Unfortunately we don't have a spot for Gallo yet, but with Moreland's status, Gallo sucks and he couldn't beat out a 1Bman you currently have on waivers and a DH who needed career ending neck surgery, he just might you better hope he doesn't end up being your 1st baseman next year.

Did they explore the option of paying Gallo the league minimum vs tearing down the ballpark and building one with A/C?
OK, now that is funny.....so many things in the above edits. Gallo is young and will be fine. Mitch is a free agent after this year and it will be fun to see him take his $5.7 MM per year into free agency. I would say he ends up with the Astros, but we all know they won't pay for a free agent. Mitch is the right choice for 1st base this year because of his experience and 1st base play, but he is in his last year with the Rangers unless something drastic happens. As for Prince, that was a failed gamble. He should have never been signed (especially without a competent physical before picking him up). Although I hate that his career ended the way it did, it was actually a golden parachute for JD and the Rangers to get out from under that contract and gave us dollars that helped with Lucroy/Beltran and will help us with Lucroy and Desmond in the off season.

I wouldn't worry about the Rangers...they have plenty of money and they are willing to spend it to improve the team and the facilities.
mhayden
I'd love Bregman.

Sure wouldn't be willing to tank an entire season and lose 111 games to get him though.

Nor would I be willing to lose the 106 games it took to get Correa.
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
Bregman plays a better defensive position, strikes out a ton less and gives up very little in power numbers. He is hands down far and away better than Gallo. If you were all honest with yourself, you'd trade Gallo for Bregman straight up 100% of the time.
100%? Definitely not. They are both 22 and both have tremendous upside. I'll keep our current 3rd baseman and take my chances with Gallo at 1st. If we were REALLY honest, we would see that if the Astros end up with All Stars at 2nd, Short, and 3rd there are only (2) things that will happen. (1) they will continue to lose to the Rangers, and (2) 1, if not 2,of those players will end up on another team to keep payroll below $70 MM.
Gigem Trevas
Does anyone honestly believe the Astros will be able to keep Altuve once his team friendly contract is up and pay him actual market value?
3B Paul 97
AG
Will they be able to pay market value? YES
Will they do it? We wil see.
BMX Bandit
quote:
Does anyone honestly believe the Astros will be able to keep Altuve once his team friendly contract is up and pay him actual market value?

Yes
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
100%? Definitely not. They are both 22 and both have tremendous upside. I'll keep our current 3rd baseman and take my chances with Gallo at 1st. If we were REALLY honest, we would see that if the Astros end up with All Stars at 2nd, Short, and 3rd there are only (2) things that will happen. (1) they will continue to lose to the Rangers, and (2) 1, if not 2,of those players will end up on another team to keep payroll below $70 MM.
The bolded phrase is the main reason to say no to Bregman over Gallo. We currently already have a future HOF at 3rd.
3B Paul 97
AG
You realize Bregman can also play SS, 2B and LF? Oh wait, Gomez will have you covered for LF.
hawk1689
AG
Ahhhh. I remember the days of teetering around .500 and dreaming of prospects to pan out. I much prefer winning divisions and playing in world series.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Ahhhh. I remember the days of teetering around .500 and dreaming of prospects to pan out. I much prefer winning divisions and playing in world series.

67-95 - 2014
Last World Series - 2011
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:

67-95 - 2014
Last World Series - 2011

You really wanna bust out bad records as trash talk there bud?
First Page Last Page
Page 89 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.