HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

430,901 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd almost lean towards his size being an asset not a question mark. I'm no doctor, but in regards to health I'd assume a smaller frame leads to less injury in a baseball environment.

If it was football or basketball, yeah... He's gonna get knocked on his ass and that will take a toll. But MLB is a non-contact sport and very much skewing more in that direction.

Opposite ends of the spectrum obviously, but you've got tiny Altuve on one side and a massive Prince Fielder or Chris Davis on the other... Who is a better long-term bet from a health perspective?
PacifistAg
AG
Fair point. Perhaps I'm wrong. Either way, the Astros better be willing to spend big because he's going to become a very, very rich man.
mhayden
quote:
From an Astro fan...Pretty well said.

And on top of that, the obsession we (the front office and some of my brethren) have with prospects is absurd. They take pride in having a stacked farm while the ML club struggles.

They've got to find a way to turn those prospects into big league assets either through successful trades or successful development. Only time will tell, and in my opinion the clock is ticking and they are running out of it. Not saying the timer is going off now, but it's got one, maybe two more years left for me.

Texas fans were like that when they weren't successful on the big league side of things as well. Jamey Newberg told us every day that DVD was going to be a trio that could be compared to the Braves' Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz.

Danks hasn't looked good since 2010.

Volquez is going to be 34 next year and has 3 good seasons to show for it.

Diamond hasn't seen a major league field since the last time Danks looked good.

I certainly don't like tanking for 4 years to stock the farm, but what's done is done... But man, unless ownership is going to spend money and trade some of those prospects to compliment the young guys, then you're the Tampa Bay Rays of the AL West.

corleoneAg99
AG
Chris Davis is 6-3, 230, and exceptionally fit.

Prince was 5-11 and listed at 275 which id guess is low.

Point is one, Prince IMO, could easily be projected to age poorly due to body type where the other, Davis, would not because he's not overweight nor does he have a swing that places a lot of strain on his body.

Ortiz is 6-3, 230 as a comparable.

And, I would not have given Davis half of what he got from Angelos but that has nothing to do with his body.
Ag2012
AG
Uhhh yeah Altuve is the best pure hitter of his generation. Unless his production falls off a cliff between now and the end of his contract he's gonna get paid. Also, his contract has to be the most absurdly team-friendly deal in the bigs. You'd better believe Boras is gonna make Houston pay for that.
corleoneAg99
AG
Altuve is the best pure hitter of his generation?

That's interesting.
Ag2012
AG
I hate the Astros but yeah I'd say so. If he isn't then who is?
corleoneAg99
AG
Not sure. How are you defining that? Avg.?
PacifistAg
AG
quote:

That's interesting.

I guess it depends on what one considers his "generation". I'd say he's one of the top 2 hitters in the game now, along with Trout.
Ag2012
AG
quote:
quote:

That's interesting.

I guess it depends on what one considers his "generation". I'd say he's one of the top 2 hitters in the game now, along with Trout.
By generation I mean separating him from Ichiro (who could pretty much be his dad). He got to 1000 hits faster than Pete Rose, leads the AL in hits, BA and OBP.
GrapevineAg
AG
Take it to another thread! This aint the Altuve Appreciation thread.
mhayden
quote:
Chris Davis is 6-3, 230, and exceptionally fit.

Prince was 5-11 and listed at 275 which id guess is low.

Point is one, Prince IMO, could easily be projected to age poorly due to body type where the other, Davis, would not because he's not overweight nor does he have a swing that places a lot of strain on his body.

Ortiz is 6-3, 230 as a comparable.

And, I would not have given Davis half of what he got from Angelos but that has nothing to do with his body.

I wasn't comparing Prince and Chris Davis' body type to each other, simply saying they are on the other side of the spectrum from Altuve.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Astros playing for back to back sweeps!
dave94
hawk1689
AG
Altuve is about as much the best hitter of his generation as Jeff Bagwell is of his. Astros fans may think so, but everyone else just shakes their head and laughs.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Altuve is about as much the best hitter of his generation as Jeff Bagwell is of his. Astros fans may think so, but everyone else just shakes their head and laughs.

Since he's entered the league, no one has more hits. No he said he's the best power hitter, just a "pure" hitter.
corleoneAg99
AG
It just depends on how you define it. Hits and average are his strength but guys like Trout, Goldy, Votto, etc, have better OPS since 2014 just for example.
Gigem Trevas
Oops.
http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2016/8/2/12347586/astros-fans-should-not-fret-over-the-rangers
hawk1689
AG
2016 season in a nutshell:

April/May/June - Texas Rangers ride roughshod over the Astros, division, and AL. Houston plays .500 ball.

Late June/July - Houston has a stretch against terrible competition and begins playing slightly over .500 ball. Rangers have injury problems/losing streak, prompting Houston fans to believe that fringe statistics are more indicative of future success than basic logic.

August - A team full of spare parts that wouldn't get claimed on waivers begins to play like a team full of spare parts that wouldn't get claimed on waivers. Acceptance sets in and Astros fans begin to make annual asinine claims about Bagwell, Biggio, and Altuve.
irish pete ag06
AG
Oh all-knowing Rangers fans please shed thou intellect on me for thou are masters of all basic logic. "Fringe stats" like run differential and weight runs created are completely useless.

I really wish a ****ing baseball neanderthal like yourself was running the Rangers. You realize that the Rangers front office is one of the most saber friendly front offices in the league, right?

quote:
2016 season in a nutshell:

Rangers are luckiest team in baseball

FIFY

And you better hope that luck ends in a World Series victory because lightning like the Rangers have captured this year doesn't strike twice. Seriously, if the Rangers have a similar Run Differential in 2017, they will likely be sellers at the deadline. A 27-8 record in 1-run games is not something to hit your chest about. It doesn't signify a "clutch" team. It means some **** went your way in 2016 a lot more than it didn't.

And before you trot out the ol but but but our roster will be the same in 2017 so we shouldn't worry. THIS IS THE ROSTER THAT HAS SCORED ONLY 7 MORE RUNS THAN THEIR COMPETITION.

And before you say but but but Tom Wilhelmson. He gave up 25 runs. Taking him away doesn't all the sudden turn you into the Cubs or the Indians.

Now, go ahead, and fire back about the Astros sucking and have all your little jizzmop fanboys come blue star that ***** I'm pissed that the Astros have crapped the bed, but as soon as this season is over, I won't trade what the Astros have coming for what the Rangers have coming for anything. Like I've said, better win it this year.
dave94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Actually, 72 wins makes us better than the ****ing Indians.

Your post has been recycled more than your mom's *****, but the other thing that hasn't changed is which team still has a big 1st place lead. The end has supposedly been near for the Ramgers for a few years now, but they retool and reload. Over and over. This window isn't closing.
Mr Gigem
AG
So much salt in this thread

The luck argument is growing so tired.
Gigem Trevas
quote:
So much salt in this thread

The luck argument is growing so tired.

Don't worry there is now a statistical model to show where the wins went. You can not make this **** up.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/here-are-some-of-the-astros-missing-wins/
hawk1689
AG
quote:
"please shed thou intellect on me for thou are masters of all basic logic"
Team A is the defending division champion with the best record in the league. They have won eleven of the thirteen meetings head to head. They have won the division or had a contending season of 90 wins or more in 5 of the previous 6 seasons. Their winning percentage over the other team for the last decade is over 70%. They have nine current or former all-stars on their roster.

Team B is a .500 ballclub that has finished last or second to last in 4 of the previous 5 seasons. They are two and eleven against the team they need to beat to win the division. On any given night, their lineup consists of 4 or 5 guys that hit below .230. They currently have one starting pitcher sporting an ERA of less than 4.00.

It looks pretty simple to me. What is it that you don't get?

quote:
"and you better hope that luck ends in a World Series victory because lighting like the Rangers have captures this year doesn't strike twice"
If only they had won the division last year...

quote:
"I won't trade what the Astros have coming for what the Rangers have coming for anything"

Team A - Five contributing former top 100 prospects at/under the age of 25 at the major league level with one current top 10 at the minor league level. One of the players is the former consensus top prospect in all of baseball.

Team B - Four former top 100 prospects at/under the age of 25 (although three of them wouldn't be in the show for a contender). Three lower top 100 prospects at the minor league level.

You sure you wouldn't trade?

PacifistAg
AG
Just wanted to update this to reflect yesterday's game:

After the Astros 18-7 start last season (going into series w/ Rangers), they were 68-69 the rest of the way. This year, they are 61-60. That's a 129-129 record over the past 258 games.

Now, take the Rangers over the same timeframe. After their 8-16 start (going into series w/ Astros), they were 80-58 the rest of the way. This year, they are 72-50. That's a 152-108 record over the past 260 games.

The Astros are what they are, which is a .500 ballclub.
Ag2012
AG
Could it be that the one hole in the saber metric models is how much the Astros are the Rangers' *****. We can call it the Rangers' B**** Factor or RBF for short. Taking out the head to head results over that stretch, the Astros are 121-105 and the Rangers are 124-100. Until Astros fans start including RBF in their statistical analyses they're just a bunch of sabermetrician poseurs.
3B Paul 97
AG
Maybe we should just petition the league and ask them not to schedule the Rangers anymore?
ebdb_bnb
Based on all of this talk by Ranger fans, it should be considered an utter failure if they don't reach the WS.
GrapevineAg
AG
One more time for Irish Pete...

PacifistAg
AG
quote:
Based on all of this talk by Ranger fans, it should be considered an utter failure if they don't reach the WS.

Utter failure? Of course not. Are they capable of it? Absolutely. This is a very good baseball team, but anything can happen in the playoffs considering you're playing other very good baseball teams. Any fanbase of a team going to the playoffs will be disappointed by not winning their league's pennant. But I wouldn't call it an "utter failure".

This is a Hou vs Tex trash talking thread though. I don't think anyone has said anything about guaranteeing a WS appearance. The talk has been about Hou vs Tex. In hindsight, it does seem silly to have a trash talking thread between two teams when one so utterly dominates the other. It's like having an A&M vs Prairie View A&M trash talking thread.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

What does the WS have to do with trash talk between the Astros and Rangers?
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is a very good baseball team. Will they win 3 series in October? Who knows. The main thing I know is that you've gotta make it to the dance to have a chance at winning the dance. This team is set up well to do it this year and in foreseeable future.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
quote:

It's the red flag for "I've got nothing"

Actually, scratch that. It's more of a white flag.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:

I think it has to do with shifting from no longer worrying about surpassing the Rangers to living vicariously through other teams in the hope that they knock off the Rangers.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.