HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

424,360 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't the Rangers led the league in one-run wins several times in years they made the postseason? I can't remember but it seems like that was a thing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good teams win more one run games. One run games aren't some coin flip where you get lucky or not.
gigem1223
It's amazing he can't see this. Yes, some games you get unlucky but most of the time the better team wins.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Good teams win more one run games. One run games aren't some coin flip where you get lucky or not.
Right...

Here's someone who's already done all the work for me:
quote:
So, all of this is to confirm what we already knew the Orioles, despite being a decent team with a decent bullpen last year, played WAY above their heads in one-run games. It's not even remotely sustainable.

The 2012 Orioles were 29-9 in 1-run games and had a run differential of +7.

The next year they finished 8 games over .500 and missed the playoffs. Their run differential was +36.

And gigem1223, what's amazing is that yal can't see what everyone else can. I'm not saying you haven't won 60 games because you have. What I'm saying is that the way the Rangers are doing it is completely unsustainable... now, when the regression to the mean happens is yet to be seen.
JRB78
AG
It appears from the Orioles example, it can be sustained for a full season.
Gigem Trevas
Don't we all love how Houston sports love analytics now. How many championships have they won using these approaches? Hell you could ask how many championships they've won period.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:

Yes, they did. And if you would read my posts, I have not argued that it can't be sustained for a season. Reading comprehension is tough.
Cappo
AG
quote:
The trouble with statistics is that they don't explain the 1987 Twins (-20 run differential) or the 1970 Orioles (40-15 in 1-run games) - both teams won the WS.

And now back to the trash talking...

This was funny

What a butt hurt fan base lol
JRB78
AG
I was just celebrating the fact that it was possible. But it is the trash talking thread, so I guess I should have expected an insult in return. My bad.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Any idiot could look at what injuries have done to the pitching staff and understand why the run differemtial is what it is. Lots of starts over the past couple of months by spare fill-in starters that have gotten absolutely shelled. It negatively skews the run differential by a significant amount.

Well, maybe not any idiot. Some of these houston idiots can't seem to figure that out.
Cappo
AG
quote:
Any idiot could look at what injuries have done to the pitching staff and understand why the run differemtial is what it is. Lots of starts over the past couple of months by spare fill-in starters that have gotten absolutely shelled. It negatively skews the run differential by a significant amount.

Well, maybe not any idiot. Some of these houston idiots can't seem to figure that out.
Did you really expect them to???
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:

Oh yeah, the injury excuse. That's what happens sometimes when you rely on old players for production. If you have a deep system then the starts don't have to come from spare fill-in players. But yeah, that run differential doesn't matter at all cuz we hurt.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:

I guess all those national sports writers calling the Rangers record out to be inflated are all just homer Houston idiots too.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, they did. And if you would read my posts, I have not argued that it can't be sustained for a season. Reading comprehension is tough.

Your last post above this one says "completely unsustainable "....
MooreTrucker
AG
What if that "regression to the mean" is the July crapfest we just saw....
DannyDuberstein
AG
Their system is one of the deepest in baseball, which unlike Houston, didn't require sucking **** in volumes that baseball has never seen to get high picks. Houston sucked more **** than a middle aged route 66 truck stop hoar.
CampingAg
AG
It's about knowing how to win. Look at the Rangers clubhouse: Beltre, Elvis, hamels, Colby, heck even Moreland has plenty of playoff experience, Desmond with the Nats.

Who does Houston have to provide that experience and leadership? Great, young team no doubt. Gonna be good for a long time. Who knows, maybe they will move ahead of the Rangers in the AL West pecking order in the next couple of years. But who provides that core leadership right now?
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your last post above this one says "completely unsustainable "....
Considering from that same post I compared the Orioles over 2 seasons. And have repeatedly said that you better hope that this playing above the head continues over the rest of the season.

You're right, it is completely unsustainable over 2 seasons, which is exactly what I said.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Their system is one of the deepest in baseball, which unlike Houston, didn't require sucking **** in volumes that baseball has never seen to get high picks. Houston sucked more **** than a middle aged route 66 truck stop hoar.
Duberstein... Always loves throwing the logic out the window and going right to the fellatio jokes.

quote:
7) Texas Rangers: Thinned slightly due to trades and graduations but still one of the strongest in the game, particularly with high-upside position players like Lewis Brinson, Nomar Mazara, and Joey Gallo. More pitching would be helpful. Click here for overview. 2015 Rank: 5th
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/4/2/11333890/minor-league-baseball-farm-system-rankings-for-2016

Your farm is very top heavy with position player prospects. Your pitching org depth sucks and it showed this year with the injuries.
hawk1689
AG
quote:

And gigem1223, what's amazing is that yal can't see what everyone else can. I'm not saying you haven't won 60 games because you have. What I'm saying is that the way the Rangers are doing it is completely unsustainable... now, when the regression to the mean happens is yet to be seen.

You're taking a single statistical data point that fits the argument that you want to be true and that has had significant movement towards said argument within the last few weeks and you think that Rangers fans are the ones that are ignoring the anomaly?
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:

You're taking a single statistical data point that fits the argument that you want to be true and that has had significant movement towards said argument within the last few weeks and you think that Rangers fans are the ones that are ignoring the anomaly?
You are so far out on the bell curve that the correction needs to be much bigger than that stretch of bad games.
hawk1689
AG
A 53 run swing over 16 games isn't going to "skew" the data?
Ag_07
AG
GrapevineAg
AG
The Pirates went 33-12 and 33-13 in one-run games in consecutive seasons. Combined, that's 66-25, or .725. Looks like it is sustainable over 2 years.

[edited to clarify those records were in one-run games]
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
The Pirates went 33-12 and 33-13 in consecutive seasons. Combined, that's 66-25, or .725. Looks like it is sustainable over 2 years.

Cool. You found one. Congrats. I hope the Rangers front office takes that approach.
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
quote:
The Pirates went 33-12 and 33-13 in consecutive seasons. Combined, that's 66-25, or .725. Looks like it is sustainable over 2 years.

Cool. You found one. Congrats. I hope the Rangers front office takes that approach.
I'll put it in the suggestion box
hawk1689
AG
Irish,

Your complete disregard and acknowledgment for the ups and downs of a 162 game major league baseball season has gotten me to do a little research that should concern you as a fan of an AL West member team. Below are the Rangers records for the last 5 years in July/August/September:

July Aug. Sep.

2012 9-14 19-10 15-13
2013 11-15 20-7 12-16
2014 6-20 10-18 14-12
2015 9-15 18-10 18-10
2016 10-15
Total 45-79 67-45 59-51
'12, 13', 15' 39-59 57-27 45-39

2014 Is somewhat of an outlier considering that team was the most injured team in baseball history. The data still shows a downturn in the month of July.

I tried to edit for format but it's still jumbled.
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
Now, go ahead and make a logical argument against it using statistics if you can wrap your head around it, but I'm sure it'll be the usual illogical emotional smack. Or bring up the record against the Astros, but nothing will refute what I've said above.
OK. Statistically, the Rangers own the Astros 9-1 in head to head competition. Statistically, the Rangers are in first place in the division with a 5 game lead. Statistically, the Rangers are tied for 1st place in the American league having 17 more wins than losses.
We fixed the keg
AG
Statistically, could we be heading from 5 to 6? Even before the upcoming sweep in Houston?

Mr Gigem
AG
Rangers fans reactions when they don't give a **** what fangraphs says because this is all that matters

Cappo
AG
quote:
Rangers fans reactions when they don't give a **** what fangraphs says because this is all that matters

Holy sheet, you mean to tell me all that matters in the end are those Ws??
GrapevineAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Now, go ahead and make a logical argument against it using statistics if you can wrap your head around it, but I'm sure it'll be the usual illogical emotional smack. Or bring up the record against the Astros, but nothing will refute what I've said above.
OK. Statistically, the Rangers own the Astros 9-1 in head to head competition. Statistically, the Rangers are in first place in the division with a 5 game lead. Statistically, the Rangers are tied for 1st place in the American league having 17 more wins than losses.

And which of those 10 games is the "anomaly"?

Maybe we can award the Astros a trophy for always being right in the middle of the bell curve, statistically speaking.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Statistically, based on the Astros previous 3 games and extrapolated out for the rest of the season, their run differential will be -382 after rounding down. Who knew, statistics is fun.

Edit to say this is for games that haven't been played .
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
Statistically, based on the Astros previous 3 games and extrapolated out for the rest of the season, their run differential will be -382 after rounding down. Who knew, statistics is fun.

How nice of you!
txaggiefarmer05
AG
quote:
quote:

How nice of you!

Just trying to give them a little glimmer of hope. Can't wait for their next big arguing point that will inevitably get shoved right back in their face.

Luck, hit sequencing, winning is unsustainable, etc. Any guesses on what's next?
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.