Men's Adult Baseball Team - College Station

8,088 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by astros4545
Ginsang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

I'm trying to put together a team of 12 or so guys to compete in the 18+ wood bat division of the Houston Hardball League. The tryouts for the summer league are coming up pretty quick, in June. If we have a team put together, we obviously won't need to try out... but games should start pretty quickly after the June tryouts.

I'd like to put a group of local guys together so we can get together once during the week to practice. Right now, I've got 6 guys. We have been getting together once during the week at 6:30, usually a Tuesday or Thursday, and once a week on Sunday at 6:00. Until the monsoon came a couple weeks ago anyways.

The games for this league are usually on Sundays in Tomball if I understand correctly.

As of right now this is what we mostly need:
1 outfielder (LF)
Backup outfielder that can play something else
Pitching, pitching, pitching
A backup catcher
middle infield talent

EDIT:
Here is the website for the league:

http://www.houstonhardballleague.pointstreaksites.com/view/houstonhardball/houston-hardball-league-home-page

The 18+ wood bat division is the most competitive league in the
organization. Though a couple of us are actually old enough to play in
the 30+ league, I really don't want to limit myself to finding a whole
group of 30+ers. It's been hard enough in general...

I realize the timeframe on this is pretty tight. Worst case scenario, we can continue to meet locally and get stuff figured out while we aim to make the next league start up.

The group is a big mix right now. We are a competitive bunch, but a couple of us are getting older. We just can't bring ourselves to play softball!

Please let me know if any of ya'll have any interest!

-J
JABQ04
AG
If I didn't live in Pearland I'm pretty sure I'd be able to swing it.
Sea Gull
AG
Oh good Lord...that sounds like fun, but I haven't picked up a baseball bat in 10+ years LOL. Does sound like a lot of fun (I'm still under 30, so I'm not that old yet).
Ginsang
AG
quote:
Oh good Lord...that sounds like fun, but I haven't picked up a baseball bat in 10+ years LOL. Does sound like a lot of fun (I'm still under 30, so I'm not that old yet).
You actually sound very similar to some of us in experience. If you love the game and have some interest let me know!

Our philosophy at this point is that if we go out and lose more games than we win, at least we'd be losing playing baseball!

Obviously, we do definitely want to do well, but it has proven very difficult putting a group of guys together. I'm especially concerned about finding some decent pitching talent. In the end, its all about playing baseball again and getting some exercise I guess...

If you're interested let me know. We're definitely not in a position to turn interested people down.

Best,

-J
Ginsang
AG
quote:
If I didn't live in Pearland I'm pretty sure I'd be able to swing it.
Living in Pearland wouldn't be the worst, but would obviously hurt us on the practices. At this point we're just trying to get some forward momentum. I've been trying to recruit friends for the last 2 months or so, and I think I've pretty much exhausted my list of those whose schedules can swing it, and those that are actually serious about trying to make it happen.

The first thing I learned is that people absolutely love the IDEA of playing again, but whether or not they will actually come out is possibly a different story.

I wouldn't automatically rule you out, being in Pearland, though it would be a challenge.

-J
JABQ04
AG
Your schedule is perfect, just wouldn't be able to make College Station practices. Like a previous poster I haven't played baseball in about 9-10 years (nothing serious then just fun) and played a decent amount of softball in the Army to kill time. What I lack in skill is make up in enthusiasm.
mazag08
AG
I'd be so down, but I'm really not sure I can hit a baseball anymore. Too much slow pitch softball.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think I'd be interested if yall needed anyone maybe in another year. I mainly pitched, played OF and caught in a pinch in HS. Live out in Katy. Pretty sure if I tried to pitch now I might injure myself.

Maybe this will motivate me to start throwing the ball around.
mm98
AG
I'm intrigued. what is your email?
Ginsang
AG
Quote:

I'm intrigued. what is your email?

10andBOUNCE, a year from now you could easily be a year further away from playing... Why not get your arm back in shape by playing some outfield? I'm not in great shape either, but hoping to turn that around. I played catch for the first time in a LONG time about three months ago. I'm definitely getting older, lol! It's taken a while to get the arm going again. I'm still sore for the 1st 5 minutes of catch every time I go out. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going away... but once I'm warmed up I can still whip it when needed.

Would any of you Htown guys be willing to come up to CS on the weekends for practice until the season starts at least? I feel like we absolutely need to get together as a group and build some chemistry, see where we're at and what we need, etc.

I can tell you without a doubt that right now I need pitching. Badly.

I'm always open to ideas! Nothing against ya'll, and I think we can make it work, but I was really hoping I would have better luck on here with some local guys! Where are ya'll?

Thanks for the interest, guys! I'm pretty excited about this stuff! If you don't hear from me immediately it's probably because I reached my daily post limit on here.

However, ya'll have my E-mail. You're welcome to get with me there any time.

Best,

-J
texasaggie2015
AG
I am actually very interested. I'm 22 and played select ball and high school growing up. Played just about every position. Haven't swung a bat in forever though.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I am actually very interested. I'm 22 and played select ball and high school growing up. Played just about every position. Haven't swung a bat in forever though.
If you're 22 then you're not allowed to say that you "Haven't swung a bat in forever though." LOL

Awesome! You sound like just the type of player that could benefit the group!

Are you in the CS area?

Will you please do me a favor and send an E-mail to my address that's listed above? I'll swap contact info with you and we can go from there.

We look forward to having you out,

-J
texasaggie2015
AG
Email sent
Ginsang
AG
Thanks to all of you who have expressed interest at this point!

I have exchanged contact info with a couple people, but we still need some more!

Keep it coming, guys! We especially need pitching!

-J
MaroonStain
AG
Make BC powder your friend. Gives you about 4 hours of invincibility then a couple of beers after the game and your GTG. You will be sore til about Wednesday. After 5-6 weeks then you will be in shape.
agtwister_5
AG
I played (play) in the 30+ wood league and am in the process of moving to CS. The league is a blast and I might be interested once I settle into CS. I haven't played this season because of the transition, but this is great news to hear as I was hoping there might be something similar in CS.
texasaggie2015
AG
We could REALLY use you if you decide to play with us this year.
agtwister_5
AG
JL, I sent you an email with my info.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
JL, I sent you an email with my info.

Really appreciate you, looking forward to getting together!
Ginsang
AG
Wanted to bump this thread...

The group is growing pretty nicely, but there is still room for more!

A new goal of the group at this point is to get 18 or so guys put together, so we can actually have scrimmage games.

We have also pushed back our entry to the Houston Hardball League all the
way until next March, which will give us plenty of time to have
everything figured out and put together before we start competing,
instead of feeling like we're rushing to get everything put together.

If you, or anyone you know may be interested, please let one of us in this thread know!!

-JL
texasaggie2015
AG
Our team is coming along nicely, but there's still room for a few more! I'm bumping this in case anyone missed it the first time.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I used to be able to pitch a little... Around 12 years ago...
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I used to be able to pitch a little... Around 12 years ago...

Any interest in getting back into it? Worst case, it would be nice to have you pitch in practice so the guys can see more live pitching. Let us know!
Post removed:
by user
texasaggie2015
AG
It's a mix of talent. Pitching is something we need more of. We have good infield talent and we have several good bats. If you wanna come out and practice with us, feel free!
mm98
AG
I told JL I'd help throw BP on the nights when I'm in BCS. But prob not for 2-3 more weeks. Is there a practice on the 8th or 15th?
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I can't think of an indirect way to ask this. How good are yall? How hard are your current pitchers throwing, any college players, that kind of thing?

Lol, no worries man! We need pitching... There's no way around it.

We've currently got 3 guys that can pitch, but being honest with the situation, their talent is put to better use at other positions, mostly outfield.

We really need a couple guys that are bulldogs... True pitchers. I honestly don't care what their velocity is, either... As long as they can hit their spots and keep guys off balance.

It has been pretty challenging finding pitching. Anyone that has come out that we really liked has prior commitments to the A&M club team, or whatever. It seems like everyone that has an arm is already being put to use. Lol!
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I told JL I'd help throw BP on the nights when I'm in BCS. But prob not for 2-3 more weeks. Is there a practice on the 8th or 15th?

We will most likely be having practices on both of those days. Send me a text or email when we get closer. We'd love to have you out!

-J
ukbb2003
I wanted to bring this thread back up. Are you guys still playing?
astros4545
AG
Just hit a dinger in men's league in Austin

32 years old, damn kids got nothing on me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.