Cubs thread v2.0

578,279 Views | 6319 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Mike Elko
JuliusCaesarAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Twitter was reporting deal close for Shelby Miller for Baez last night. Lots of smoke blowing around.

I knew it was inevitable the Cubs would have to part with some of their young studs, but it's definitely hard as a fan after watching them develop all these years and be right on the brink. No reason not to trust what Theo has been doing so far. My only question would be the decision to stick it out with Starlin over a guy like Javy.
El approacho de plato
-----------------------------------------------------------
BobOliver2006
AG
I'm going to reasonably assume that all speculation is legit and that Theo will manage to trade Javy to 3 teams at once for a package of Shelby Miller, Kevin Gausman, and Alex Cobb
SRCag18
AG
Starlin is pretty proven and a guy who, on a team quite full of boom or bust hitters, consistently puts the ball in play. There is something to be said for that, and when he took over at second base in August, put together a really good two months.

I completely understand the upside on Javy, but it's unproven. He could come up and kill it, or he could bust.

That's the big difference in my mind at the moment, is that we know for the most part what we're going to get from Castro.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
That's the big difference in my mind at the moment, is that we know for the most part what we're going to get from Castro.

I really don't know what to expect from Starlin. Will it be the 3.0 WAR all star or -0.4 WAR on the bench? He'll be somewhere in the middle, but I'm hardly banking on the last 2 months of 2015 to carry over into 2016.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs talking to Yankees about Castro. Ben Zobrist has comparable offers from the Mets & Cubs. Will choose between the two. Sounds like it will be the Cubs if we can ship Starlin to the Yanks.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs sign Zobrist to a 4 year $56MM deal.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And Castro is heading to the Yankees. No word on the return yet.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wow
BobOliver2006
Know Your Enemy
AG
Next up: Jason Heyward
Token
AG
The yanks stole Castro. Thanks, Theo
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
The yanks stole Castro. Thanks, Theo

You could've had him for less a few months ago. The Cubs probably would've paid a chunk of his salary too.
JuliusCaesarAggie
quote:
Next up: Jason Heyward
Do it
-----------------------------------------------------------
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think it was the right move for the Cubs, but I will root for Starlin to do well. Cubs got a young(ish) arm they can use out of the pen or stretch out. Both sides did okay.
quote:
Luis Severino is promising, but has never pitched a full major league season. Bryan Mitchell frustrates the Yankees because he is a talented guy who has yet to consistently produce results to match his skills. Those are the seven options for the Yankees' 2016 rotation. That is why even if you liked the trade to acquire Starlin Castro from the Cubs, the loss of Adam Warren was painful to the Yankees. He was a great security blanket for both the rotation and bullpen, a latter-day Ramiro Mendoza but with more upside as a full-time starter, the ability to command four pitches and the athleticism to help himself on the mound fielding and holding runners. And the Yankees are also losing a guy who was well regarded in his clubhouse for his professionalism. Warren was a guy who could soak up starter innings at a pretty good level when the inevitable Yankees injuries struck. And now that is gone, following other potential depth parts such as David Phelps and Shane Greene out the pinstriped door. Warren and Severino were the only starters the Yankees definitively control beyond 2017.
http://nypost.com/2015/12/09/adam-warren-fallout-yankees-need-new-rotation-safety-net/
10andBOUNCE
AG
Looks like Heyward is down to the Cards, Cubs and Nats. Rumored he has a 200M offer and it is not from the Cubs.
. . .
Heyward has signed.
toucan82
it'shappening.gif
Know Your Enemy
AG
JASON MOTHER****ING HEYWARD, BABY!!!!!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Took less money than Washington offered him.
Biz Ag
Know Your Enemy
AG
Our third oldest position player will be Heyward at 26. Only Montero @ 31 and Zobrist @ 34 are older.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Heyward deal less than $185m. Believed to be eight years.
CubbieAggie
AG
. . .
8/184 with reportedly two opt-outs (first one after 3 years)
AgShaun00
TexAgs1992
This offseason has been nothing short of phenomenal and we may not be done yet.
BobOliver2006
AG
it's even better knowing that StL offered more $
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
it's even better knowing that StL offered more $

I love that. Not only did we take Heyward from them but also Lackey. We got much better while they got worse. Perfect scenario.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
While we're on this Strange But True Rookie roll, how 'bout Kyle Schwarber? As loyal tweeter Michael Adamo reported, he hit home runs in Double-A, Triple-A, the big leagues, the wild-card game, the Division Series and the LCS all in the same year. ... And not only that. Schwarber also became the first player ever to hit a postseason home run and win the MVP of the Futures Game in the same year. ... And not only that; for his finest Strange But True trick, he hit a majestic NLDS home run that landed on top of the right-field video board at Wrigley Field -- and stayed there. Let's see Jordan Spieth stick that lob wedge some time.

More Cubs Strange But Trueness: In Game 3 of the Division Series, their 1-2-3-4-5-6 hitters all homered. In one day. According to Elias, there have only been two REGULAR-SEASON season games in history in which any team's 1-2-3-4-5-6 hitters homered. But one of those came this year, when the Mets got homers from their 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 hitters in an August game in Philadelphia. So in other words, this happened once in 139 seasons -- and then happened twice in two months. Because the universe is a big fan of Strange But Trueness, it turns out.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14439393/mlb-strange-true-postseason-feats-2015
Biz Ag
AG
Cubs remove Schwarber's HR ball from atop Wrigley Field scoreboard.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/kyle-schwarber-home-run-ball-wrigley-field-chicago-cubs-mlb
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is it baseball season yet??????????
Know Your Enemy
AG
This play still brings a huge smile to my face.

Schwarberbomb
Know Your Enemy
AG
Pitchers & catchers report this Friday 2/19!
Biz Ag
AG
Play ball!
Lance Uppercut
AG
Cubs invited Matt Murton to spring training.
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.