Cubs thread v2.0

578,947 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

They should have won multiple championships but ownership cheaped out and all we got was the one.

This is baseball. Theoretically, the Cubs shouldn't have won in 2016. You can never assume that just because someone else had some good fortune go their way that it would have been the same for you.

You can make the argument that ownership intentionally shortened the window in order to cash in on 1.

I don't think it's fair to move the goalposts to multiple championships. Theo said his goal was sustained success and he's provided that thus far. Boston punked out in the playoffs 2 years ago like the Cubs did this year and rebounded.

They do need to consider that Brewers have improved. Their success and recent additions shouldn't be taken lightly.
Mike Elko
AG
Looks like Harper to Phillies could be official today. So close, yet so far away for the Cubbies.

Edit: Or not. So, there's still hope.
Harry Dunne
Astros fan here, but this is an awesome story I thought you guys might enjoy. SIAP...

Inside 37-year-old pitcher Luke Hagerty's improbable comeback story
Know Your Enemy
AG
That is a great story. Saw it earlier today but appreciate you posting it here for us.
pasquale
AG
I long for the day Jason Heyward isn't a Cub. And to think they could move him and sign Bryce Harper...
10andBOUNCE
AG
It'll be interesting to watch when he takes then mound in Spring Training the first time in live action. Definitely rooting for him. Cubs have a definite need for power arms in the pen.
Know Your Enemy
AG
pasquale said:

I long for the day Jason Heyward isn't a Cub. And to think they could move him and sign Bryce Harper...
But they can easily sign Harper without having to move Heyward. Would that be ideal? Sure, but it is not necessary.
diehard03
Quote:

Naw. That man got you a title. And no one is taking him without the Cubs paying a significant portion of that salary.

Bryce has a 10 WAR year and several 1.x WAR years...and some 5 and 4 WAR years. Dudes all over the place.
diehard03
I think we can kiss KB goodbye when he hits Free Agency.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Back from my 2 week staff imposed "vacation" to say that I'm pissed we didn't even make an effort to sign Harper. F. Tom Ricketts and his alleged empty pockets.
AgShaun00
AG
Junkhead said:

Back from my 2 week staff imposed "vacation" to say that I'm pissed we didn't even make an effort to sign Harper. F. Tom Ricketts and his alleged empty pockets.
no harper for me. I am mad at the lack of any interest in improving the bullpen
10andBOUNCE
AG
At least Chatwood is looking like a Spring Training Cy Young candidate.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Anyone else going to the games this weekend in Arlington? I think we have 4 tickets in section 16 left for Saturday. They are $65/each.
AgShaun00
AG
Junkhead said:

Anyone else going to the games this weekend in Arlington? I think we have 4 tickets in section 16 left for Saturday. They are $65/each.
i wish. My kids have baseball all weekend
Mike Elko
AG
Junkhead said:

I'll be there. Already bought tickets, though. Good luck.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's Opening Day, Cubs fans!
pasquale
AG
how nervous will you all be when Strop comes in to close the games.......

Go Cubs!
Mike Elko
AG
pasquale said:

how nervous will you all be when Strop comes in to close the games.......

Go Cubs!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Less so than Montgomery.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Darvish translated to English is Chatwood.
Know Your Enemy
AG
****ing pathetic display of pitching tonight. So glad we improved the bullpen this offseason.
10andBOUNCE
AG
No warm fuzzies from this series. Talk about awful pitching outside of Lester.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Webster, Maples and Mekkes should be up soon
Mozart Paintings
AG
Shiit show
Know Your Enemy
AG
Maybe that computer that picked the Cubs to finish last was right.
pasquale
AG
Kimbrel anybody??
Know Your Enemy
AG
Does Maddon get fired before the home opener?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wonder if a team has ever gone on to win a championship having walked 12 batters in one game and committed 6 errors in another.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is embarrassing.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Just an awful start. Today was kids stuff. I need some relief.
BoDog
AG
Its early, but dear God they are bad! When Hamels gave up the grand slam to freakin Desheilds, I told my son this team isn't going to make the playoffs....
Know Your Enemy
AG
I was concerned before the season started. This first week is just making it worse. I expect Maddon won't last through May and there is a good chance they miss the playoffs. Theo seems to be a genius when building a team through drafts and trades but pretty awful when signing big FA deals.
AgShaun00
AG
Junkhead said:

I was concerned before the season started. This first week is just making it worse. I expect Maddon won't last through May and there is a good chance they miss the playoffs. Theo seems to be a genius when building a team through drafts and trades but pretty awful when signing big FA deals.
Is there an issue with Maddon and front office?

I can't imagine anyone else out there that would make this team better. It is frustrating that we win and for some reason the cubs don't have "money"
Know Your Enemy
AG
He is in the last year of his contract and they have not discussed an extension. I think it's questionable to get rid of him but all sources seem to indicate that his seat is blazing hot.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Pretty sure Girardi is waiting / hoping he gets a call in the next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 165 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.