Cubs thread v2.0

577,610 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like Russell will be back.
diehard03
Embarrassing.
TonySoprano
Does Bryant Resign?
diehard03
Only if Harper's value falls through the floor in FA. If he signs a kings ransom, he's gone.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

Only if Harper's value falls through the floor in FA. If he signs a kings ransom, he's gone.
diehard03
sorry, 2 different "hes". Bryant is watching how the Harper sweepstakes play out. If things go very favorably for Harper and it's clear that FA was the leverage to the money...then Bryant is gone.

Bryant has no loyalty towards the Cubs. In anything, he hates how the Cubs used their negotiated rights to extend his contractual control.

Obviously, if the Cubs pay him the FA rate, then he would resign. But I think the shoulder is some concern to the FO.
TonySoprano
If Bryant leaves where would you think he goes??
Know Your Enemy
AG
Count me in the group that thinks there's little chance Bryant leaves. Especially if they sign his BFF Harper.
diehard03
I think you're fooling yourself if you think that his friendship with Harper will cause to pass up millions of dollars.

There's literally no reason for him to take less money. He's already got a title. He's got the iconic last out to end a 108 year drought. He owes Chicago nothing.

As for a destination, we will have to see whos ready to contend (or keep contending) in 2022
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't think that's going to cause him to take a significantly lower offer. My comment was more based on the belief that Theo will not let him walk.
TonySoprano
Trade Bryant for Correa
pasquale
AG
Cards just traded for Goldschmidt and wow it would have been nice if we could have landed Diaz while the Mariners were in sell mode
diehard03
Quote:

I don't think that's going to cause him to take a significantly lower offer. My comment was more based on the belief that Theo will not let him walk.

I don't see Theo paying market rate in FA for Bryant.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't see Theo paying market rate in FA for Bryant.
Why not?
diehard03
Quote:

Why not?

They will be on the downside of the window and if he gets back to 6 WAR form, I think he will command too much on the open market. Trout will also be a FA before and he definitely will set a number that's insane.

A lot will depend on what they do at SP honestly. They have the best rotation in 2010.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well he's not a FA until 2022 anyway. A lot can change between now & then.
diehard03
The scary part is that the pitching is old and the young hitting talent is showing signs of guys not being who we thought they were. They lost 60? runs scored from last year to this. And they will want to get paid soon (as Bryant).

Looking at the farm system, there's no savior coming.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I normally don't put a ton of stock into the effect a coach can have but it seemed like way too many players had bad years power-wise last year. Maybe Chili Davis really did have a negative impact on the offense.
TonySoprano
I heard on the Buster Olney podcast that Chili Davis just couldn't get through to the Cubs players.
diehard03
Quote:

I heard on the Buster Olney podcast that Chili Davis just couldn't get through to the Cubs players.

Baseball seems to present some of best examples of "post hoc" fallacies due to all the variance. it sounds more like the complete opposite happened: He got through too well, and Chili built a bunch of low power guys...which gives more credence to Junkhead's thought.

I think the most truth lies in the Lester comments mixed with what Theo said is his post mortem of the season: Guys coasted a bit and didn't slam the door on the division when they had the chance to.
. . .
. . .
Know Your Enemy
AG
19 DEC MELISA REIDY IS SPEAKING OUT. IT'S TIME FOR EVERYONE TO LISTEN.

Addison Russell is a piece of **** that should never wear a Cubs uniform again.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BoDog
AG
Please make it stop.... means nothing.
Know Your Enemy
AG
**** off. Don't read the ****ing thread then.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs GM: Giving second chance to Addison Russell 'was the right thing to do'

This offseason sucks balls.
TexAgs1992
Junkhead said:

Cubs GM: Giving second chance to Addison Russell 'was the right thing to do'

This offseason sucks balls.
It's not been ideal! Ownership not participating in a Q&A at the Cubs Convention is a really crappy look too.
pasquale
AG
Have we made any improvements this off season?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Picking up Hamel's option and signing Descalso is about all the activity that has occurred

I'm pretty shocked they haven't addressed anything in the bullpen
Know Your Enemy
AG
pasquale said:

Have we made any improvements this off season?
No, while the Cards & Brewers have made big additions.
10andBOUNCE
AG
They supposedly did that the last couple of offseason. There comes a time when you can't spend your way out of past bad decisions.
Know Your Enemy
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

They supposedly did that the last couple of offseason. There comes a time when you can't spend your way out of past bad decisions.
Bull***** The Cubs are worth billions of dollars and there is no salary cap. They are CHOOSING not to spend money now when it appears that a future HOF'er can be had for less than what he was expected to get. There is a lot of money coming off the books after this season. The window to win is not big and at this point they appear to be squandering a big chance to improve for 2019. This is starting to feel like the 80's Bears. They should have won multiple championships but ownership cheaped out and all we got was the one.

EDIT: And the Cubs are about to get their own network. There is PLENTY of money to spend if they want to.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I don't buy the idea they have that much money coming off the books. Technically yes, but Hamels (20m) will need to be replaced by someone. Cishek and Strop need to be back filled (12m). Add the fact Baez and Bryant are only getting more expensive in arbitration.

I'll give you the 12m of Zo and 5m of Kintzler. Maybe some of Hamels. So half of what you claim is "coming off the books."

I understand they are a big market team with a lot of value. Them having already a top 5 payroll hardly classifies them as cheap. They have so far whiffed on a couple of signings and had players regress developmentally. Part of the game.

Add in the question of....do you really want to win by just outspending everyone? I don't think anyone prefers that route.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't give a ****. I just want to win. Does anyone care that we had the highest payroll in 2016? Or that the Red Sox has the highest payroll in 2018? There's no asterisk on the Commissioner's Trophy.
First Page Last Page
Page 164 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.