Cubs thread v2.0

578,802 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by 10andBOUNCE
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dont deny Bregman isn't a badass. But i also don't doubt he's a grade a c---sucker. Could be wrong but i doubt it.
diehard03
Based on? The twitter thing?
diehard03
Quote:

I do care when guys get hair extensions and not showing up during the nlcs. Baseball should be fun but focus on the game and not your look.

It's quite an assumption that a professional baseball player's slump was caused by hair extensions.

Let's be honest: we don't care about the hair. We just care that they picked a bad week to suck.
diehard03
pfft. silly astros fans.
Know Your Enemy
AG
World Series Game 7 second most-watched since 2004, but couldn't beat the Cubs
Prosperdick
AG
Junkhead said:

Man, I've been reading the Astros thread the last few games a bit and I sure as **** hope we were nothing like that during last year's WS. There are so many whiny *****es on there.
I'm not excusing it but if you are a Houston fan for any length of time (like myself) you've lived through:

• Oilers '93 playoff collapse (and all the Oilers playoff losses, including Renfro in the back of the endzone against the Steelers where Bum Phillips said he would kick the door in next year...only to get fired by Bud)
  • Phi Slamma Jamma '83 collapse
  • Astros in '80, '81 and especially '86 and not even making it past the first round with The Big Unit, who was just as dominant as Verlander was for us down the stretch

There are plenty of other examples and yes, the Rockets won in '94 and '95 but both of those were somewhat tainted since MJ had "retired" in '94 and wasn't fully back in '95. It's a city that has been crushed time and time again...I swear many Houstonians probably think the year Pujols hit the mammoth shot off Lidge we didn't even make the World Series (where we were swept).

I know the history of the Cubs but I also vividly remember 6 titles by MJ and the '85 Bears. We don't have anything close to that as a city so many constantly wait for the other shoe to drop...and somehow it didn't last night. I'm still in shock.
diehard03
Quote:

I know the history of the Cubs but I also vividly remember 6 titles by MJ and the '85 Bears. We don't have anything close to that as a city so many constantly wait for the other shoe to drop...and somehow it didn't last night. I'm still in shock.

I don't think it was anything specific to Astros fans in general...I'm originally from there and was a fan back then. It's just theres a collection of people that stir that pot in the wrong direction, I think.

And, the Verlander/Upton stuff on that thread is straight up weird.
BoDog
AG
This may have been discussed, but can anyone tell me how/why Jason Heyward is the 4th highest paid player in MLB? Holy smokes. Do Theo do that?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Mainly for his glove but his bat used to be decent (or at least I thought it was). I'm hoping he does something really stupid and opts out of that deal as soon as he gets the chance, which is after 2019 IIRC.
Mr.Bond
AG
Junkhead said:

"Locally, Houston really came out to support the Astros, though. Their 47.1/66 in local areas was the best Major League Baseball telecast on record."
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AgShaun00
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Junkhead said:

"Locally, Houston really came out to support the Astros, though. Their 47.1/66 in local areas was the best Major League Baseball telecast on record."

only time they can watch them as they can't watch the regular season
Mr.Bond
AG
Assuming you're talking about the ROOT/ATT sports issue. No longer as problem as evert major carrier but DISH I believe has it
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

diehard03
Quote:

This may have been discussed, but can anyone tell me how/why Jason Heyward is the 4th highest paid player in MLB? Holy smokes. Do Theo do that?

He had a career year before free agency and there was a team with cash that a corner outfield spot available.

i think he gets back to 270s-ish next year.

By the end, it wont seem so bad.
BoDog
AG
How does that contract affect our desire to go after Bryce Harper after next year? Same position Bryce wont be cheap....
Mozart Paintings
AG
BoDog said:

Bryce wont be cheap....

That's an understatement
diehard03
He's going to sign a half a billion dollar contract.
AgFan1999
AG
there's a couple of posters on the Astros thread that only pop up to spout crap. We didn't see 'em all season, but when there was a short losing streak or minor issue, they'd post that the sky was falling.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think 2019 is when the Cubs can sign new TV/radio deals so they should be able to get up in the Dodgers/Yankees payroll range then.And I'm praying that Heyward does well enough to convince him to opt out of his deal. He has that option after the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Honestly the Zobrist deal is going to hurt more than Heyward. He's due $16MM in 2018 and $12MM in 2019. Unless his poor year this season was due to not being healthy instead of just getting old and not good anymore.
diehard03
Zobrist was known dead money on the backend of that deal.
diehard03
Quote:

there's a couple of posters on the Astros thread that only pop up to spout crap. We didn't see 'em all season, but when there was a short losing streak or minor issue, they'd post that the sky was falling.

I don't know...its your sandbox, so don't feel like it has to be anything else than it is. I find more issue in the pumpers and confirmation/survivorship bias attitudes there than random crap spouting. Way too many blue stars for cheap posts and non-baseball-intelligent thoughts.

However, that's what one should expect. if it was ChicAgs and A&M was was located in Naperville, IL...then this thread would look like the Astros thread.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Giants interested in a Shark & Melancon deal for Heyward? PLEASE BE TRUE.
BobOliver2006
AG
Initial reports coming out that Cubs may be among finalists for Ohtani...
diehard03
He won't sign with us. We can only pay him 330k? signing bonus.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

He won't sign with us. We can only pay him 330k? signing bonus.
If he cared about money he wouldn't be coming over now.

Shohei Ohtani narrows list to seven teams
diehard03
We are still on the outside looking in. We aren't West Coast small market and have 10% of the money available to other teams being considered.

Sounds like he like the pitch we gave him on how to use him...but I still don't see it happening.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Again, the money doesn't matter to him. The small market West coast thing seems to have come from Brian Cashman so who knows how accurate it is. We are still in the mix so there's no reason to give up hope even though it's a long shot. Supposedly he is close with Yu Darvish and wants to play with him. We could add both of them if that's what it will take. Plus look at what Theo did convincing Lester to sign with the Cubs. I realized Jonny got paid but it wasn't a great situation at the time. He was sold on the vision for the future and was even shown a lineup that included Heyward in it long before we signed him.
BobOliver2006
AG
Thed Hoystein >> the field

Plus, will any other team meet with Ohtani at an RV on the beach with beer and beach chairs? I don't think so.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is Joe Maddon the Cubs' secret weapon in Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs signed SP Tyler Chatwood from the Rockies to a 3-year $38MM deal. Looks like his numbers were great away from home. Kinda excited about this signing although I guess it means we are out on either Ohtani or Cobb.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ohtani to the Angels
BobOliver2006
AG
Well at least it's the AL West and not the NL West...
Macpappy99
AG
Supposedly Stanton's list of trades he'll approve would be the 4 teams in the blocs and alcs. Think Theo can work his magic?
Know Your Enemy
AG
No thanks. I'll take Harper as a FA next year instead.
diehard03
Quote:

No thanks. I'll take Harper as a FA next year instead.

Amen. Imagine their runs scored with him in the line up.
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.