Cubs thread v2.0

573,306 Views | 6317 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is imperative to make a run at Darvish. This pitching staff is aging a rapid rate and frankly the bullpen is average at best.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'd personally rather overpay Jake than Darvish. A year ago I couldn't imagine saying this but I think they have to be considering sending Schwarbs somewhere in the AL for an impact SP arm. I hate the idea but the reality is that the outfield is too crowded with guys that need everyday ABs. I think Happ is going to be pretty solid and should be able to step in nicely in an everyday role. I anticipate Monty to assume Lackey's spot as the 5th starter. I suppose Tseng could compete for that 5th spot as well.

I think by far the biggest area to address is the bullpen. Especially with Davis leaving if not resigned. I think Maples is going to be a key guy for the Cubs and could be a huge weapon if he stays healthy and continues to build from this great 2017. Justin Wilson will obviously be a big key to the pen turning around. To me, he is the obvious closer if he can get it together, a big IF.

Someone I would like to see more of next season is Tommy LaStella. I think he has the potential to be a solid lead off kind of bat - he always gives you a quality AB. Has to be a way to get him in the lineup more.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think LaStella is best in a reserve role. If he were to play everyday I think we'd be longing for the days of him being a great bat off the bench.
BoDog
AG
If Monty is in the starting rotation next year then you might as well throw in the towel for '18. He is beyond dreadful.

I agree, I would see what you can get for Schwarbs. I really like him but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Not sure the numbers would be that different (Darvish vs. Arrieta), but I guarantee you could get more innings out of Darvish and with this bullpen that is worth its wait in gold.
10andBOUNCE
AG
BoDog said:

If Monty is in the starting rotation next year then you might as well throw in the towel for '18. He is beyond dreadful.
Not sure if serious. As a SP this year he pitched fairly well. 4.15 ERA and 1.14 WHIP. That is an upgrade to what Lackey was.
AgShaun00
AG
i agree on schwarbs. Love the guy and intensity and i am sure a great teammate. Almora needs to be everyday in CF with Happ. Heyward needs to figure it out as his bat is a hindrance to the team.

Need some youth in the SP to build on.
diehard03
Quote:

Supposedly Theo said on Chicago radio yesterday that Joe was handcuffed this postseason due to some injuries that weren't public knowledge. I wonder who that was.
I think it was Wade. I don't think "hurt" but clearly toast for the season. Makes the strange Joe moves make more sense.

edit: listened the interview...Theo went HARD on defending Joe. Blamed the players for not executing and himself for not having the right bullpen guys.
diehard03
Quote:

i agree on schwarbs. Love the guy and intensity and i am sure a great teammate. Almora needs to be everyday in CF with Happ. Heyward needs to figure it out as his bat is a hindrance to the team.

I disagree on Schwarbs because his value is at it's absolute lowest. You will get nothing for him. Almora/Happ will be much easier to move, imo.

I do want Almora everyday in CF. I hope that there's no Zobrist "handshakes" and Happ/Zobrist can be the rotational/platoon guys for Schwarbs and give rest.
diehard03
Also...I am expecting a Happ regression in 2018. I give him all the credit in the world, but he wasnt projected to do this.
BoDog
AG
This last month told me all i needed to know in regards to Monty.

I love Hayward, but come to the realization that his production (or lack of) is a major detriment to this lineup. God willing Theo and the gang will make a serious run at Bryce Harper after next year.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Why in God's name would you love Heyward?
diehard03
Quote:

God willing Theo and the gang will make a serious run at Bryce Harper after next year.

Barring injury, you can basically guarantee they will make a run at him.
diehard03
Quote:

Why in God's name would you love Heyward?

GG RF, raised his batting average 30 points in 1 offseason. HE's still a 2+ WAR player and I think he continues his swing reclamation project.
BoDog
AG
Ok, love may be a strong word.

I like his leadership and he seems like a good quality/stand up guy. It seems weird but i think i like and follow this team as much as I do because I genuinely "like" most of the players and guys in the front office.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BoDog said:

This last month told me all i needed to know in regards to Monty.
Five key questions facing the Cubs this offseason

Quote:

An NL scout assessed in December that left-hander Mike Montgomery fared better as a starter, and Montgomery's postseason struggles out of the bullpen concur with that evaluation.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Apparently Chris Bosio has been fired.
BobOliver2006
AG
Junkhead said:

Apparently Chris Bosio has been fired.

WOW
10andBOUNCE
AG
Bosio gone
Hinske gone
D Martinez will probably get a manager job
Know Your Enemy
AG
Chili Davis is the new hitting coach.
diehard03
With all this greatest game ever seen nonsense going around today...

I still prefer ending 108 year drought....in Game 7...in extra innings after shelling the "unhittable pitcher" early, blowing the save.

But that's just me.
diehard03
Quote:

Chili Davis is the new hitting coach.

I didnt realize Malee was out. That's a big deal with Heyward needing more development and guys like Rizz/Schwarber needing to work on beating the shift.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Gary Jones is out too.
Mozart Paintings
AG
diehard03 said:

With all this greatest game ever seen nonsense going around today...

I still prefer ending 108 year drought....in Game 7...in extra innings after shelling the "unhittable pitcher" early, blowing the save.

But that's just me.
It was obviously a great game, but no way is it greatest game ever. Game 7 last year. Game 6 of Rangers - Cardinals in 2011. those two come to mind without putting a thought into it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rizzo, Heyward, and Zobrist (?!) are all Gold Glove finalists.
BobOliver2006
AG
Jim Hickey in as Pitching Coach and Andy Haines replaces Hinske as Asst Hitting Coach... Haines getting promoted from Roving Minor League Hitting Instructor may be a solid under the radar move as he was the one working with Schwarber at Iowa this summer
diehard03
He's got a job ahead of him. Schwarber HAS to improve. We need him as either trade bait or actual production.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Man, I've been reading the Astros thread the last few games a bit and I sure as **** hope we were nothing like that during last year's WS. There are so many whiny *****es on there.
BoDog
AG
Honestly F the Stros (and their fans).

With the Cubs out of it, I go into "baseball guy" mode and just enjoy watching every pitch i can get before the season ends, however, there is nothing appealing to me about this Astros team. Will enjoy it when the meat of their lineup/youth become free agents and i can go back to referring to them as the Lastros.
diehard03
Quote:

Man, I've been reading the Astros thread the last few games a bit and I sure as **** hope we were nothing like that during last year's WS. There are so many whiny *****es on there.

This thread? Of course not. Cubbies fans in general? Oh yea...if not worse.

You could say this thread has some natural selection in it. Those who just want an echo chamber, wont last long here because there's no one to participate in it. Likewise, there's like 5-10 people that keep that thread in a tizzy for God knows what reason.

There is something that I find disturbing about that thread: They seem to be way too excited about what Verlander and Upton do in the private time. Like....creepy excited. It does give off a low-rent vibe that's not becoming.
diehard03
Quote:

With the Cubs out of it, I go into "baseball guy" mode and just enjoy watching every pitch i can get before the season ends, however, there is nothing appealing to me about this Astros team.

I can't follow this. If you love baseball, they've got everything you need. If you love the Cubs, there are million parallels to our team.

Now, their fans are obnoxious...but this is caused by years of underachieving in all sports while having another Texas town be important on the sports landscape...and constantly remind you of it. In many ways, I welcome the "strut" that Houston will put on when they finally win a "non-Jordanless era" title.
BoDog
AG
Well my disdain starts with most of their jerk off players. Springer, Correa and Keuchal are likable. However, guys like Bregman, Gonzalez, and Yuriel i wish nothing more than complete failure on. I could also go on about the stadium and their fans but its late and I'm going to bed.

Other than the long championship doubt i see very little similarities to the Cubs.
BoDog
AG
I was at NLCS game 3. Sat very close to dodgers, got autographs for my kids, talked to a few of them-Granderson, Puig, Joc, etc and they were very cordial and friendly (though Bellenger seemed aloof).

Anyway, point being those guys were very likable and if any were acquired by the Cubs I think it would be pretty sweet. Even the owner, Mark Walter, was engaging (though very arrogant).
Marty Byrde
That's the MO of Houston fans. They're insufferable
diehard03
Quote:

However, guys like Bregman, Gonzalez, and Yuriel i wish nothing more than complete failure on. I could also go on about the stadium and their fans but its late and I'm going to bed.

I didn't follow them through the Bregman twitter issue...but I can't see how you can hate how he plays. He's a more successful Ian Happ at the end of the day.

Macpappy99
AG
As long as a player can ball I don't care what kind or how big of a chip he has on his shoulder.

I do care when guys get hair extensions and not showing up during the nlcs. Baseball should be fun but focus on the game and not your look.
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.