Cubs thread v2.0

578,716 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by 10andBOUNCE
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That said, with pitchers spot up, maybe the idea wasn't to get 6 outs...but get the high leverage guys.

edit: clearly not.
Know Your Enemy
AG
No ****ing idea why Davis is batting here.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Junkhead said:

Sorry, I know I'm in enemy territory here, but why wouldn't he be batting? He's the closer and it's obvious they brought him in for a 6 out save. Should have utilized a double switch to bring him in knowing the pitchers spot was due up. Also not sure why they didn't have him bunting.
Know Your Enemy
AG
DodgerAg32 said:

Junkhead said:

Sorry, I know I'm in enemy territory here, but why wouldn't he be batting? He's the closer and it's obvious they brought him in for a 6 out save. Should have utilized a double switch to bring him in knowing the pitchers spot was due up. Also not sure why they didn't have him bunting.

He threw 25 pitches or so in that inning. He looked kinda gassed.
MaroonStain
AG
Top 9...looks like we are going to Game 5...
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Again, I don't mean to be rude or overstep, but who in the Cubs pen do you trust to get you three outs when you need it most? Seems as if the Cubs staff has learned from their Game 2 mistake and are going to live or die with their best reliever out there. Plus, he hasn't worked in a few days and should be very fresh. The Dodgers have been known to do the same thing and roll Jansen out for multiple innings.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I trust no one in the bullpen at this point. But I'd rather throw a rested Strop than a gassed Davis at this point.
MaroonStain
AG
Cubs are lower on pitching at this point but have to play to stay.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And you don't have to be afraid to ask legitimate baseball questions on our thread.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I love baseball discussion, just didn't want to step on anybody's toes. I know emotions run a little hot during the postseason
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Junkhead said:

I trust no one in the bullpen at this point. But I'd rather throw a rested Strop than a gassed Davis at this point.
After the walk, I'd go get him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And to be clear, I was good with Joe going to Wade for 6 outs but he had to throw too many pitches in the 8th.
Know Your Enemy
AG
We don't take kindly to *******s who come in here to talk **** and be dickbags but we welcome anyone who wants to talk baseball.
Know Your Enemy
AG
YESSSSSSSSSS
Lance Uppercut
AG
4-6-3!
MaroonStain
AG
gg
AgShaun00
AG
Turner on deck. Wow.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Mozart Paintings
AG
See you tomorrow Wrigley!!
pasquale
AG
Javy feeling it, now Russell needs to get hot and keep Heyward out of the lineup!
Biz Ag
AG
MaroonStain said:

Can anyone name the only other Aggie pitcher to pitch for the Dodgers in the playoffs besides Ross Stripling?
Doug Rau?
MaroonStain
AG
He is probably before my time but I was going with Kevin Bierne.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not a good start.
Cy_Tolliver
I really don't get how this Rover position works against major league batters. You should be able to hit a hard bunt towards second if they don't shift the shortstop or just pop it opposite field if they do. I mean he had the 2b literally playing shallow right field and he hit right into it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rover position? No offense, but you sound like a football fan that has watched a couple games in the past decade.
TexAgs1992
Even though we will not be making a comeback tonight, I cannot believe Theo, Jed, Tom and the crew have built a team that made three straight NLCS, one World Series and won a World Series championship. While I'm disappointed the season is ending, I'm really soaking in how amazing this run currently is and will hopefully continue to be.
diehard03
Quote:

I really don't get how this Rover position works against major league batters. You should be able to hit a hard bunt towards second if they don't shift the shortstop or just pop it opposite field if they do. I mean he had the 2b literally playing shallow right field and he hit right into it.

That's the whole point of the shift: put a fielder where you statistically hit the ball and then pitch you so you hit the ball there.
pasquale
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

Even though we will not be making a comeback tonight, I cannot believe Theo, Jed, Tom and the crew have built a team that made three straight NLCS, one World Series and won a World Series championship. While I'm disappointed the season is ending, I'm really soaking in how amazing this run currently is and will hopefully continue to be.

There are some glaring weaknesses and voids they will need to fill in the off season.
Cy_Tolliver
diehard03 said:

Quote:

That's the whole point of the shift: put a fielder where you statistically hit the ball and then pitch you so you hit the ball there.
dude, I get that. I played ball thru hs and even at that level I looked at the defensive alignment before stepping in the box and used that to decide my hitting approach. It seems ludicrous to me that you could completely sell out like that against a major league hitter and they don't respond. I mean, I recall an at bat where they were shading towards 2b to cover a runner and left the right side open. I smacked a grounder that would normally have been a routine out thru there.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dude. You sound like a real baller. You should be playing pro ball with those skills.
diehard03

Quote:

dude, I get that.

Quote:

I played ball thru hs and even at that level I looked at the defensive alignment before stepping in the box and used that to decide my hitting approach. It seems ludicrous to me that you could completely sell out like that against a major league hitter and they don't respond. I mean, I recall ab at bat where they were shading towards 2b to cover a runner and left the right side open. I smacked a grounder that would normally have been a routine out thru there.

Clearly, you don't.

Cy_Tolliver
Junkhead said:

Dude. You sound like a real baller. You should be playing pro ball with those skills.
I'm not saying I could do it at the major league level. I'm saying it's ridiculous that someone who hits at the major league level can't do it. They can foul off pitches they don't want, they should be able to bunt. It's not unreasonable to expect them to slap opposite field or slap bunt. But thanks for your deep insight. I get that a pure pull hitter has trouble going opposite field, but it seems comical to me that you literally put the 2b in right field.

There's a reason that wasn't done in baseball for 100 years and it's not because managers were stupid. It's because they knew hitters would adjust. Bottom line is you don't accidentally pull the ball. So he either stepped into the box thinking no shift could affect him and he'd go deep or he had his head up his ass.
BoDog
AG
Cy, I understand your argument but these are not single A pitchers. The movement and placement they are able to put on a ball is ridiculous. Its much easier said than done-especially at this level....
Biz Ag
AG
Lots of issues to address this offseason.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The starting pitching FA market is pretty weak so I expect Jake to get overpaid by someone else. I wonder if we make a run at Darvish. Supposedly Theo said on Chicago radio yesterday that Joe was handcuffed this postseason due to some injuries that weren't public knowledge. I wonder who that was.
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.