Cubs thread v2.0

577,679 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoDog said:

So I am headed to game 3 and there is a good chance my seat will put me on camera atleast once or twice. I will of course be wearing my Cubs shirt, however, I am tempted to wear an Aggie hat. Cool or weird?
10andBOUNCE
AG
BoDog said:

So I am headed to game 3 and there is a good chance my seat will put me on camera atleast once or twice. I will of course be wearing my Cubs shirt, however, I am tempted to wear an Aggie hat. Cool or weird?
It would be weird and not cool if you didn't
Biz Ag
AG
There have been approximately 2.7 million half innings of major league baseball played in history. Never before had an intentional walk, passed ball third strike, catcher's interference and a hit batsman happened in the same inning. Until last night.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-cubs-witness-cruelty-glory-baseball-one-incredible-game-100452850.html
Know Your Enemy
AG
BizAg83 said:

There have been approximately 2.7 million half innings of major league baseball played in history. Never before had an intentional walk, passed ball third strike, catcher's interference and a hit batsman happened in the same inning. Until last night.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-cubs-witness-cruelty-glory-baseball-one-incredible-game-100452850.html
And they happened consecutively.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I have been trying to think outside the box regarding the rotation for this NLCS and I think this is what I would do if I were brave enough. This is with the mindset the Cubs are already underdogs in this one.

Saturday (1): Lackey. Here me out. Whoever pitches is going to be dueling a very rested Kershaw in LA. That puts us behind the 8 ball immediately. So while I am not advocating throwing in the towel Game 1, I pretty much am saying I am ok giving them that one if that means we get our rotation rested and lined up.
Sunday (2): Quintana
Tuesday (3): Lester
Wednesday (4): Arrieta
Thursday (5): Hendricks
Saturday (6): Quintana,
Sunday (7): Lester, Arrieta available as RP
Know Your Enemy
AG
I tend to agree with you but I expect it to be Q-Lester-Hendricks-Arrieta.
AgShaun00
AG
i agree on Lackey. sometimes a little crazy is what you need to start game 1.
Macpappy99
AG
I would also think that if Lackey throws well in game one you could move Arrieta to the pen.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Macpappy99 said:

I would also think that if Lackey throws well in game one you could move Arrieta to the pen.
Good point. See if you can get lightening in a bottle for 5 innings and give Jake 2 innings to hand it over to....wait he will need to go 4.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I was thinking this last night.....
Know Your Enemy
AG
pasquale
AG
We need Javy to find his stroke
Macpappy99
AG
espn reporting Q for game one
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21019772/chicago-cubs-start-jose-quintana-game-1-nlcs
BobOliver2006
AG
Corey Seager left off the NLCS roster for the Dodgers
Philip J Fry
AG
Terrible rule. I miss old school baseball.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I guess it's the right call by the letter of the law but as a longtime catcher I cannot stand that rule. Would've said the same thing if the teams were reversed.
AgShaun00
AG
Bullpen is not good enough. I hope I eat crow but the cubs cant win the WS with this pen.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Can't win scoring only one run.
BobOliver2006
AG
I'm putting the over/under at $5k worth of damage to the visitor's clubhouse by John Lackey after the game
BoDog
AG
Well this was a fun little run. I will be at game 3 to cheer them on but really don't expect too much more. It is apparent the division series took a physical and mental toll. Stick a fork in them (and me).
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm not giving up hope yet but it certainly doesn't look good. The bats are almost completely dead. We were able to sneak past Washington but that isn't going to happen against LA. The bullpen issues were expected but the offensive struggles are an unwelcome surprise.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yep, bullpen has somewhat stabilized first two games so far. Offense has been bad. Bryant specifically has done almost nothing in the postseason.

Also bringing in Lackey to lose the game is unforgivable. That is a must win game and to put your chips on Lackey vs Davis was really dumb.

If there is a sliver of hope, Cubs did fall behind LA last year 1-2 and won three in a row to win in 6 games.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Lineup wise, Heyward needs to not be in the lineup again unless he's a late inning defensive sub. He is so bad at the plate. I'd rather have Lester or Arrieta batting for him.

I also think Happ needs to somehow get back into the action. I am honestly not sure where he went.

Another guy who has been too under-utilized in my opinion is Tommy LaStella. Usually always has a good AB. I honestly would consider taking Baez out for him - probably wouldn't since I do think Baez has too much defensive value, but it is close.

Game 3 I'd probably roll with something like this....

Zobrist RF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C
Schwarber LF
Russell SS
Happ CF
Baez 2B
Hendricks
LawHall88
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Also bringing in Lackey to lose the game is unforgivable. That is a must win game and to put your chips on Lackey vs Davis was really dumb.
Same thing happened to the Orioles last year - left Zach Britton in the bullpen and threw out back-of-the-rotation guys in an elimination game because the game was tied. Showalter said he was saving Britton for the save. Some managers are just totally committed to closers being used for saves only, regardless of situation.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Davis had a very limited pitch availability last night due to his overuse in games 4 & 5 of the NLDS. I understand not wanting Lackey in that situation but say you bring in Davis and he gets out of that jam. He's not going to be able to throw again in the 10th. Who do you put out there then? Everyone else left has been trash in the playoffs. If Lackey gets out of that situation then he can likely give you at least a couple more innings where hopefully you find a way to score a run then you bring in Davis.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not using Schwarber or LaStella to PH against Jansen was a bit confusing, though.
diehard03
Quote:

Davis had a very limited pitch availability last night due to his overuse in games 4 & 5 of the NLDS. I understand not wanting Lackey in that situation but say you bring in Davis and he gets out of that jam. He's not going to be able to throw again in the 10th. Who do you put out there then? Everyone else left has been trash in the playoffs. If Lackey gets out of that situation then he can likely give you at least a couple more innings where hopefully you find a way to score a run then you bring in Davis.

I mean, you were literally just shown why you should have pitched Davis and lived another day. I'm not sure how anyone can follow Joe on this BS. You also trusted that trash bullpen when Lester had 1000 pitches by the 4th inning.

Game 5 was Thursday. Either one of 2 things is true: Joe's got too cute, or Davis is hurt. I get not wanting to come out and say that Davis is hurt.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Why blow Davis there when we've shown almost no ability to score? Who do you pitch in the 10th and beyond?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Junkhead said:

Why blow Davis there when we've shown almost no ability to score? Who do you pitch in the 10th and beyond?
Agreed. While bullpen has been stressful and not great - the real problem is absolute lack of bats. If Cubs have a 1 or 2 run lead going into late innings, everything is different and Davis is used.

They have got to get production from their Big Boys, Bryant and Rizzo, or this will be a very short series. I have game 5 tickets. i'd really like to be able to see that game.
diehard03
Quote:

I'll take "who gives a crap when you can't get out of the 9th" for $100, Alex.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'll take "who gives a crap when you can't get out of the 9th" for $100, Alex.
Way to sidestep the question.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Need the Cubs to respond tommorow like the Yankees have tonight.
diehard03
Quote:

Way to sidestep the question.
No, it answered the question directly: Inning 10 doesn't matter if you don't make it to inning 10. You know...like literally what happened.

it sounds like you're advocating giving up the game tied 1-1 in the 9th. That's completely nonsensical.
diehard03
Quote:

Need the Cubs to respond tomorrow like the Yankees have tonight.

I can't see Rizzo and Bryant remaining at 1 for 17 or whatever. Even in the Mets series where they were overpowered by the pitching, they didn't have this bad a performance.
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.