Note on Astros changing their name

2,803 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cc10106
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Hoffaman's article this week he discovered that the Astros talked about changing their name when they moved to Enrom.

Thought it was interesting (and stupid).

quote:
• I got an e-mail from reader Jim Pawlowski. He wrote:

"When the Houston Baseball Team moved to the Dome in 1965, they changed their name from the Colt .45's to the Astros because of their new space motif. When they moved to their downtown stadium in 2000, which has no space motif, why didn't their name change?"

I thought the reader was making a joke. You know my readers … everybody's a comedian. But I forwarded the e-mail to the Astros, because that's what I do.

The joke's on me. It turns out the Astros did consider changing their name when they moved from the Astrodome to Enron Field in 2000. The team even held a focus group with fans, who put the kibosh on any name change. Fans were emphatic that they love the name Astros and were shocked the team was even thinking of dumping the name. It was never brought up again.

Tal Smith, president of Baseball Operations for the Astros, added a note that some might have forgotten.

"When the team's name was changed (from Colt. 45's to Astros) in 1965, it was done primarily to recognize the space industry in the greater Houston area - not the playing venue. In fact, the team name was changed first, and then the Harris County Dome Stadium began being referred to as the Astrodome."

I can think of only two professional sports teams in recent history that changed their name without moving to a new city.

In 1996, the NBA's Washington Bullets became the Wizards because the word "Bullets" has a violent image, especially in a city with a high crime rate like Washington. The team let fans vote for a new name, and Wizards won.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays dropped "Devil" from their name in 2007 because they were tired of finishing in last place and wanted a new identity. It was not because they were scared of the devil. The team considered names like the Cannons, Stars, Wave and Dukes, before settling on Rays. Whatever, it worked. The Rays went to the World Series the following year.
texasaggie2015
AG
Hmmm.. if the Astros were to change their name, what would you like it to be?
E
AG
The Houston OILERS!
jkag89
Would have loved it if the 'Stros went back to the Colt .45s when they moved to the new park. Of course in this politically correct era it wasn't going to happen.

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 11/14/2010 10:34a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
Hell, the Dynamo couldn't even pull off the Houston 1836 because someone who was misinformed thought it wasn't politically correct.
Ag of Northern Virginia
Always thought it was funny that a team named the Astros has a retro motif going on with both the stadium and uniform.
BradC34
AG
The story I always heard was the Colt Firearms Co. threw a fit over the team using the "Colt .45" moniker and logo featuring the likeness of a Colt SAA without permission.

ETA: As far as a new name, seems like I heard a story once that they wanted to do something in line with the railroad and Union Station.

[This message has been edited by BradC34 (edited 11/15/2010 7:22p).]
irish pete ag06
AG

They should change back to the top one as the main ones and the bottom as the alternates. They should have stuck with these since the 60s and now they would be as classic as the Cards, Cubs, or Dodgers unis.
ChipFTAC01
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

They should change back to the top one as the main ones and the bottom as the alternates. They should have stuck with these since the 60s and now they would be as classic as the Cards, Cubs, or Dodgers unis.

Good call
chris93
AG
Missed this thread when it came around 10 years ago.

Here's a thinly reported and poorly written account from the Houston Business Journal that was probably the first in-print speculation of the name change back in '97:

Houston Diesels?
cc10106
What a dumb move that would have been that would have alienated so many fans. Some dip****s have too much money and not enough sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.