***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

304,983 Views | 5852 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by M.C. Swag
DANManman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you don't believe, you shouldn't be here!
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

I hated on Josh Green for pretty much this whole game but he was +15 which was the highest on the team. Another reason why I'm not an NBA coach.
I thought he had a terrible game, but I'm not a coach nor expert basketball analyst. He did so much stupid stuff again. He did make his one wide open three and he made the steal that led to the Kyrie 3 to take the lead.

Other than that, he was a spectator while Luke and Kyrie cooked. He just happened to be on the court while other guys did nice things.
He does a lot of things that dont really jump out off the screen, or in the box score. Its just the things he messes up seem so easy to NOT mess up, its infuriating
shack009
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

If they blitz Luka every possession Dallas is going to have 15-20 dunks a game. I don't think they have a good answer. Like I said before the series it's a bad matchup because Luka's unique skill set really exploits big post defenders. He just renders guys like Gobert impotent.

We may have had 15 dunks tonight against the drop. Lively and Gafford had 14 FGs, so it was probably like 11 dunks. But still.

Their move is to blitz and then completely leave PJ and DJJ. Sag off everybody and shade to Kyrie. They haven't even tried to make those guys beat them yet.
hph6203
AG
My desperately negative friend who had the Wolves winning the series texted "Don't worry, we got this." When they were down 15. My thought was why would I ever be worried?
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

gigem1223 said:

Danny Green and SVP on ESPN acting like no one would've predicted Dallas beating Minnesota. Anyone who has watched this team since the trade deadline would've. Sports analysts today are so bad.
national media doesnt watch enough games to have an informed opinion, yet we all still care what they think. its dumb, lol

Tim Legler is the best ESPN basketball guy. He's been all over this Mavs team and how we are such a good defensive team now. I believe he picked us to win the series at the start. It's usually him on SVP, so not sure why it's Danny Green tonight.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

PatAg said:

gigem1223 said:

Danny Green and SVP on ESPN acting like no one would've predicted Dallas beating Minnesota. Anyone who has watched this team since the trade deadline would've. Sports analysts today are so bad.
national media doesnt watch enough games to have an informed opinion, yet we all still care what they think. its dumb, lol

Tim Legler is the best ESPN basketball guy. He's been all over this Mavs team and how we are such a good defensive team now. I believe he picked us to win the series at the start. It's usually him on SVP, so not sure why it's Danny Green tonight.
Tim watched the games for sure
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

I hated on Josh Green for pretty much this whole game but he was +15 which was the highest on the team. Another reason why I'm not an NBA coach.
I thought he had a terrible game, but I'm not a coach nor expert basketball analyst. He did so much stupid stuff again. He did make his one wide open three and he made the steal that led to the Kyrie 3 to take the lead.

Other than that, he was a spectator while Luke and Kyrie cooked. He just happened to be on the court while other guys did nice things.
He does a lot of things that dont really jump out off the screen, or in the box score. Its just the things he messes up seem so easy to NOT mess up, its infuriating

He also does a lot of really bad things that don't show up in the box score. Over helping on defense. Allowing an offensive rebound to go off his hands and out of bounds. Just generally being frenetic when it's unnecessary. He's just an extremely dark cloud of bad energy haha.
Infection_Ag11
AG
shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

If they blitz Luka every possession Dallas is going to have 15-20 dunks a game. I don't think they have a good answer. Like I said before the series it's a bad matchup because Luka's unique skill set really exploits big post defenders. He just renders guys like Gobert impotent.

We may have had 15 dunks tonight against the drop. Lively and Gafford had 14 FGs, so it was probably like 11 dunks. But still.

Their move is to blitz and then completely leave PJ and DJJ. Sag off everybody and shade to Kyrie. They haven't even tried to make those guys beat them yet.

I think the era of "leaving good shooters wide open and hoping they miss" defense is over. Guys are just too good now. PJ Washington wide open from the corner on the aggregate over 48 minutes is no different than wide open dunks from Gafford or Lively. He's hitting those at a nearly 70% clip.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatAg
AG

Watch the face McDaniels makes early when they switch.

Love these
shack009
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

I think the era of "leaving good shooters wide open and hoping they miss" defense is over. Guys are just too good now. PJ Washington wide open from the corner on the aggregate over 48 minutes is no different than wide open dunks from Gafford or Lively. He's hitting those at a nearly 70% clip.

I generally agree with that, that's why I'm saying it's their desperation move. They lost both their games at home while relying on the drop. It's time to see if something else works.

PJ and DJJ were 0/7 from 3 tonight and were 2/10 in the first game. They gotta hope those guys aren't expecting to have high volume nights and maybe lack a little confidence, especially DJJ, who is 0 for the series.
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

I generally agree with that, that's why I'm saying it's their desperation move. They lost both their games at home while relying on the drop. It's time to see if something else works.

PJ and DJJ were 0/7 from 3 tonight and were 2/10 in the first game. They gotta hope those guys aren't expecting to have high volume nights and maybe lack a little confidence, especially DJJ, who is 0 for the series.
I've said before that if Washington could be just average from 3, we would be nearly unstoppable. He needs to work on that shot in the offseason.
PatAg
AG
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

That's wild
aezmvp
Infection_Ag11 said:

Not only that but it's not like Kyrie can't do 95% of the exact same thing but is even more of a threat on the floater side. So you can't just rest on that. Hell you can't even just take away Gafford and Lively as well because DJJ and PJ (but especially DJJ) are a threat to cut lob dunk at any time as well. So if you go baseline with the drive or get pushed out a bit if your big slides you can easily back screen to get the back corner guy in DJJ or PJ (or Green or Hardy theoretically) easy dunks as well.

Luka but especially Luka plus Kyrie is just a matchup nightmare with those skill sets.
aezmvp

That's just a team that believes in each other and has a major amount of chemistry going. Not saying they're gonna win it all, but that kind of chemistry allows for some crazy results.
hph6203
AG
14/16 30 pts 14 rebs 5 blocks 2 ast 0 TO

Just incredible. Combined to be the 3rd best player on the team and the Mavericks were criticized heavily for the way they acquired it.
Grapesoda2525
These sports center guys are ridiculous. Running with the story that the T wolves are losing because of Edward's and towns playing poorly. What about their 3rd best player shooting better than a Steph curry or Thompson in game 2?

Or the fact that our role players are about 2/20 from 3 and will shoot better than that at home?
Guitarsoup
AG

qunique_2004
AG
MW03 said:

For the record, Kidd called a perfect 4th Quarter, and a damn near perfect 2nd half. I loved his use of timeouts tonight, plus he gave Hardy Hardaways minutes. Masterclass of keeping the team in it and close, and then letting Luka and Kyrie do Luka and Kyrie things in the end.

I was chatting with my boys in a group text and somehow even down 18 I wasn't worried. This is just a baaaaaad matchup for Minnesota across the board, especially with how Lively/Gafford are playing. We aren't even shooting well. Unreal.

I was so wrong about Kidd earlier this season. Have to give the man some credit. Coaching his a__ off.
W00chang
AG

Between Antman not being able to keep up and KAT being benched in 4th quarter, there is no comparison to our studs. The clutch factor is thru the roof.
MW03
AG
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
So how do the Mavs match up against Boston?
W00chang
AG
Trek Strategy said:

I havent watched too many Boston games, but from what I've heard all the analysts say is that they are an iso team that shoots a ton of 3s. they are deep and can switch on anyone when playing D. if KP comes back healthy, they will be tough to beat. the only thing I'll be counting on is Tatum choking like he usually does.

Luka and Kyrie are point guards that can do it on their own, but they want to dish/create for everyone else (see all the lobs to Gafford and Lively). Tatum and Brown are shooting guards who are iso players and just shoot at will.
mavsfan4ever
AG
They scare me bc they can play 5 out where everyone can shoot 3s if KP is back. It's huge if lively aNd gafford can roam. But I like our chances bc of the Tatum choke factor.
shack009
AG
W00chang said:

Between Antman not being able to keep up and KAT being benched in 4th quarter, there is no comparison to our studs. The clutch factor is thru the roof.

And he denied having to get oxygen after the game. So strange. He's lost a lot of respect from people this series as more people have paid attention.
shack009
AG
W00chang said:

Trek Strategy said:

I havent watched too many Boston games, but from what I've heard all the analysts say is that they are an iso team that shoots a ton of 3s. they are deep and can switch on anyone when playing D. if KP comes back healthy, they will be tough to beat. the only thing I'll be counting on is Tatum choking like he usually does.

Luka and Kyrie are point guards that can do it on their own, but they want to dish/create for everyone else (see all the lobs to Gafford and Lively). Tatum and Brown are shooting guards who are iso players and just shoot at will.

This might be underselling them a little bit. They shoot a lot of 3s but they are really good at them. Jrue and Derek White are having good shooting years and can also handle the ball and create. Tatum does settle for too many threes and long mid range shots at times. Brown has done a decent job of kicking his reputation as I h a guy who will disappear and can't dribble. Horford is slowing down but can still step out and knock down the big shot. Then they bring in Pritchard and Hauser off the bench and they are good shooters. Kornet is a pesky big guy who just always seems to be in the right spot.

They were second in defensive rating this year and have 4 guys who could guard either Luka or Kyrie somewhat effectively. They probably wouldn't want White guarding Luka, but they have 3 guys who could do a decent job on Luka and rotate through them and any of their 1-4 could rotate guarding Kyrie.

They are never out of a game and they can run away with a game at any point because of how good they are from 3.

As you said, Tatum has a propensity to choke. And we would probably have a coaching advantage in the series. If KP is healthy, we would also have to have a healthy Maxi to have any chance.

ETA: And maybe most importantly, there is nowhere to hide Luka or Kyrie on defense. They would both have to be 100% engaged and max effort on every defensive possession.
M.C. Swag
AG
I still can't believe this Mavs team. They're so ****ing gritty. Both of these wins were just tough, ugly, battles.

I don't think we stand a chance against Boston but that discussion is for another day. 2 more wins!!!!!
Guitarsoup
AG

DannyDuberstein
AG
Based on the 15 total points he scored across 5 playoff games, it seems like he fought hard to board a flight to Cancun before May 1
shack009
AG
Buyout guys gonna buyout guy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.