****** 2021-2022 Lakers thread ******

2,977 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm no Lakers fan, but I am LeBRON fan. Reports are swirling today that the Lakers are going to sign Chris Paul.
Enzo The Baker
AG
They would have to trade for him this season or wait until next year and hope he opts out of a contract that will pay him $44 million.
Slamn Sharpe
Enzo The Baker said:

They would have to trade for him this season or wait until next year and hope he opts out of a contract that will pay him $44 million.

I was under the impression it would be via trade. I heard this on FS1
Enzo The Baker
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Enzo The Baker said:

OKC wants at least a first round pick for him. I don't see how the Lakers have the assets to get a trade done.
Slamn Sharpe
Enzo The Baker said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Enzo The Baker said:

OKC wants at least a first round pick for him. I don't see how the Lakers have the assets to get a trade done.

Hypothetically if they do, what do you and the others think about that potential addition? I would like to know what this means for Rondo?

Adding CP3 would be great in my opinion. Its definitely a rental and it should greatly help their chances at a repeat. He may be a better fit than Rondo as far as a complete season goes
Enzo The Baker
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Enzo The Baker said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hypothetically if they do, what do you and the others think about that potential addition? I would like to know what this means for Rondo?

Adding CP3 would be great in my opinion. Its definitely a rental and it should greatly help their chances at a repeat. He may be a better fit than Rondo as far as a complete season goes

I think he'd fit like a glove. Would enable Bron to manage his mins even more. He and AD playing the pick and roll would be deadly. He also has the ability to play off ball if necessary. This is all assuming he stays healthy.

Honestly with Rondo, he's not going to command a lot of money anyways so they can keep him if they want him. He helped this post season for sure but it was an aberration.
Slamn Sharpe
I'm wondering if they somehow have both Rondo and CP3 so they can manage their mins enough to keep those two and LeBRON healthy all season long. Should be interesting either way. Cowherd is about to talk about the rumors now on FS1
Enzo The Baker
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I'm wondering if they somehow have both Rondo and CP3 so they can manage their mins enough to keep those two and LeBRON healthy all season long. Should be interesting either way. Cowherd is about to talk about the rumors now on FS1

Rondo is a great third ball handler to have. If they get Paul, they really only have to address their outside shooting. They do that, game over for the league.
Guitarsoup
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I'm no Lakers fan, but I am LeBRON fan. Reports are swirling today that the Lakers are going to sign Chris Paul.
Sign a player that is under contract. Ok.
Guitarsoup
AG
If the Lakers trade every player under contract not named LeBron and Anthony, they are about $10mm short of Paul's contract. That includes trading CaruGOAT.

Lakers have their pick this year, but can't trade it until after it is picked.

The Pelicans own their 1st round picks until 2026.

Lakers would need a couple guys like Caldwell Pope and JaVale to opt in and get traded along with Green, Caruso, Cook, Kuz, Morris, Smith, Rucker.

Does OKC want to take on 9 guaranteed contracts to not get a 1st round pick back?
Slamn Sharpe
Guitarsoup said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

So what are you saying exactly?
Obi Wan Ginobili
McDadeTXAggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

He's saying you can't just up and sign a player who is already under contract, so your post doesn't make sense.

Now, having cleared that up, it would be next to impossible to trade for him. Multiple players would have to opt in to an additional year, just to then be traded. The lakers basically have zero draft capital to make it worth OKC's time, and the second you add a 3rd (or more) team to the mix, these trades instantly fall apart.

The salary cap is going to shrink for the next couple years. They will artificially keep in inflated for the first year or so, it teams are already being told to expect the cap to drop and plan accordingly. Chris Paul's contract is an absolute ALBATROSS of a deal. Even the Lakers are not likely to pay 30-60 million just in taxes with the uncertainty of professional sports.

The final factor, which you seem to be ignoring, is that Chris Paul is made of glass. You said imagine what he would look like for a full season with Bron/AD, but he's notoriously injured constantly. Can you imagine paying a mid-30s point guard $45 million for 55 games, especially one who has never won anything meaningful in his career?
Slamn Sharpe
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

He's saying you can't just up and sign a player who is already under contract, so your post doesn't make sense.

Now, having cleared that up, it would be next to impossible to trade for him.
Multiple players would have to opt in to an additional year, just to then be traded. The lakers basically have zero draft capital to make it worth OKC's time, and the second you add a 3rd (or more) team to the mix, these trades instantly fall apart.

The salary cap is going to shrink for the next couple years. They will artificially keep in inflated for the first year or so, it teams are already being told to expect the cap to drop and plan accordingly. Chris Paul's contract is an absolute ALBATROSS of a deal. Even the Lakers are not likely to pay 30-60 million just in taxes with the uncertainty of professional sports.

The final factor, which you seem to be ignoring, is that Chris Paul is made of glass. You said imagine what he would look like for a full season with Bron/AD, but he's notoriously injured constantly. Can you imagine paying a mid-30s point guard $45 million for 55 games, especially one who has never won anything meaningful in his career?

That's what I thought he was saying. So I guess its next to impossible and it won't happen. So if it does ill be obnoxious and make sure to quote you both
Look Out Below
AG
Rondo and CP3 HATE each other. No way they both end up on the same team. I don't think either one is a Laker next year.

Do not want CP3. That contract is beyond horrible. And just because Lebron is a badass at 35 and beyond doesn't mean everyone will be. The durability factor has already been mentioned too.

The Lakers don't need to get any older. They need to start finding reasons for AD to stay longer than 2 years. Getting Rose at a discount is the only acceptable addition as far as adding older players they don't already have. They need to do what it takes to keep KCP and Bradley (can't believe they won it without him; was third best player).

Anything that can be done to ship Danny Green (and his contract), Kuzma and some assorted pieces like McGee, Cook, etc., out of town for a dependable, younger offense-heavy guard should be looked at.
Slamn Sharpe
The Lakers are wanting to trade Kuzma and Green for DeRozan?
Guitarsoup
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

The Lakers are wanting to trade Kuzma and Green for DeRozan?
Don't think the Spurs take that. Green isn't the guy you add to a team that needs young talent and picks to rebuild.
Slamn Sharpe
Its reported LA is going after OKCs PG Dennis Schroder
Look Out Below
AG
There's your younger replacement for Rondo. Schroder's contract runs out next year so they don't have to worry should it not work out this year. Also keeps the cap space free to go big game hunting for a third star in 2021 offseason.

Starting to think the Lakers don't keep both KCP and Bradley, especially with the Wesley Matthews rumblings. They don't need them both but they sure would be nice to have. Not even sure which one I'd rather have. Pope is younger and was huge in the playoffs so I lean that way but either player is a big piece.

Curious to see what happens with McGee and Howard. There are rumblings about going after Ibaka (which I would LOVE). That guy has been a killer against the Lakers lately. If Howard were to leave, Ibaka would be a terrific replacement.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ibaka is going to kill any capspace ideals they have for 2021 and while he is a great player that most teams would want, he isn't a 3rd star.
Look Out Below
AG
Quote:

Ibaka is going to kill any capspace ideals they have for 2021 and while he is a great player that most teams would want, he isn't a 3rd star.
I could be wrong but I think he's a unrestricted free agent right now. Is possible he could be looking for a one-year deal so he can get a bigger payday in 2021. I don't think too many teams have much money to spend this year (which is why many were unsure about Bradley and few others opting out to test the waters).

I don't think he's a third star either but he would make the Lakers very formidable down low. The ability to have three 'big' men that can go inside and out (LBJ/Davis/Ibaka) would be unbelievably difficult to guard.
Guitarsoup
AG
Oh yeah, especially when the whole league has been going smaller. No one really has the players in place to guard this, which is why I believe GSW is talking about TheMarcus.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ok NBA trade world:

Slamn Sharpe
2021 Lakers

PG Cook/Lebron
G/SG Schroder/Caruso
SG Matthews
Sf/F Harell/Lebron/Kuzma
PF/C Davis/McGee
Look Out Below
AG
Probably going to look more like this:

PG LBJ/Schroder
SG KCP/Matthews/Caruso
SF Morris/Kuzma/THT
PF/C AD/Harrell/Gasol

I'd guess the starters will be LBJ, KCP, take your pick of four guys, AD, Gasol

Pretty nasty and deep group. Pelinka did a terrific job this weekend.
Slamn Sharpe
Schroder and Harrell are two huge pieces considering their ages and talent level. This team will be better than last years
Aggie09Derek
AG
This thread skipping this season (20-21)?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.