Anthony Davis requests trade

12,608 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Lost
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Gotta be to the Lakers right?
Mike Elko
AG
One would think. Will be interesting what the Fakers offer in return, if/when it happens. Kawho will then sign this summer and there's the NBA's next stacked team. What a bunch of pansies players are nowadays... The true legends of the game (e.g., Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, etc.) never would've done what these chumps do.
Olsen
AG
AD going to the Lakers to team up with LeBron is like giving the middle finger to Boogie and the Warriors.
chris1515
AG
Don't you think Boston could offer more?

But without indication he would sign there, I don't know why they would.

jeffdjohnson
I would wait until the off season if I were NOLA. That brings Boston's assets into the equation (some weird rule where Kyrie and AD can't be on the same team this year based on their contracts). Also, I want to see who drafts number 1 (Zion) and if they could be a trade partner. I wouldn't be a big fan of getting back Lonzo Ball as the centerpiece for an AD trade.
WES2006AG
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I wouldn't be a big fan of getting back Lonzo Ball as the centerpiece for an AD trade.
Really?
M.C. Swag
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

What a bunch of pansies players are nowadays... The true legends of the game (e.g., Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, etc.) never would've done what these chumps do.
What are you talking about? Players request trades all the time. Like, I can understand the frustration with what Lebron and KD did in manufacturing their own 'FA super team' but AD is totally in the right here and it's not some affront to the competitive spirit. Kareem, Wilt, Garnett, Shaq, etc. all wanted out of their situations because they didn't trust their organizations to build around them.

Specific to AD, he might have the best case of them all. When he's on the court, the Pelicans have a Net rating that equates to a 60 win team. When he's off the court it plummets to that of a 20 win team (Akin to going from the Bucks to the Cavs). He's playing 42min/game and putting up career highs to the point he is now first or 2nd in every major statistical category in the league. And the Pelicans still can't win. It's absurd.

Magic, Bird, and Jordan all had the luxury of playing in premiere markets. I'd love to see what tune these guys would sing if they were drafted to Sacramento or Detroit.
Iowaggie
AG
Honestly, I don't have that big of issue with it.
He's given 6 years to the Pelicans and gotten 2 playoffs. I think it is different than the Durant situation.
It also gives them a chance to get value for him.

They aren't great, and I think the New Orleans basketball franchise will soon be in Seattle, which I guess eventually moves OKC to the SW division. I feel bad for those fans in NO, but that is part of pro sports.

Any franchise that tanks to get a star player shouldn't have a big problem when that player leaves.
PascalsWager
AG
The Lakers have almost nothing I'd want. Ingram is 3rd year inefficient mess. Lonzo can't shoot and guys rarely learn to shoot later in their careers. Kuzma seems like he has Brook Lopez upside (yawn). I'd give up both in a second if I was getting Davis to commit for the next 6 years.

If I'm the Pelicans, its gotta be Tatum or Ben Simmons or I'm putting down the phone until the off-season.
ATM9000
AG
The Pelicans have a fantastic salary cap situation. Davis is going nowhere and definitely not to the Lakers anytime soon without some crazy draft capital coming back their direction.
Look Out Below
AG
Ingram is definitely inefficient but the upside is there. You have to remember he's 21. He could play 15 more years. Lonzo's shooting has gotten better since a putrid rookie season. He's also only 21. Those two should still be in college. Kuzma is the second best player on the Lakers and they don't have to pay him until 2020 so I doubt they let him go. Were it not for the injuries -- LeBron, Ingram, Rondo x2, Ball -- this team would be in the top four in the conference. Even with some of the injuries they were top four in the conference until LeBron went down. As young as it is, this team is better than you give it credit for. It does need to prove it can stay healthy though.
Mike Elko
AG
Agree to disagree. It's weak sauce from whiny athletes.

You mentioned Detroit... Thanks for proving my point with Isaiah Thomas. Plus, Duncan in SA. True champions, not these "get me outta dodge 'cause I can't win in a small market" crybabies.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm a little confused with how Boston could trade their draft assets. They can't make the trade because of Kyrie's contract until July 1. They have all of these draft assets but the draft is at the end of June. And it would be against the rules to make the picks for NOLA to later trade right? Am I missing something?
M.C. Swag
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

You mentioned Detroit... Thanks for proving my point with Isaiah Thomas. Plus, Duncan in SA. True champions, not these "get me outta dodge 'cause I can't win in a small market" crybabies.
Wilt Chamberlain threw a fit to get out. So did Kareem. So did Moses. So did Jason Kidd w/the Mavs. Countless NBA stars from every era with poor organizations have sought to get out. Are those guys 'crybabies'? Are they lesser than Isaiah Thomas because they flexed the only leverage they had to get away from cultures of incompetence?

And if AD had the infrastructure that Duncan had his ENTIRE career, he'd prolly stay in NOLA. It has nothing to do with playing in a small market; it's about winning. And the fact that you think Duncan stayed in SA out of the goodness in his heart or some ironclad competitive spirit is just naive. He stayed because he could WIN. SA was a well run organization that surrounded him with championship caliber players/coaches his entire NBA life. AD hasn't had even a sniff of that.
WES2006AG
AG
M.C. Swag said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Wilt Chamberlain threw a fit to get out. So did Kareem. So did Moses. So did Jason Kidd w/the Mavs. Countless NBA stars from every era with poor organizations have sought to get out. Are those guys 'crybabies'? Are they lesser than Isaiah Thomas because they flexed the only leverage they had to get away from cultures of incompetence?

And if AD had the infrastructure that Duncan had his ENTIRE career, he'd prolly stay in NOLA. It has nothing to do with playing in a small market; it's about winning. And the fact that you think Duncan stayed in SA out of the goodness in his heart or some ironclad competitive spirit is just naive. He stayed because he could WIN. SA was a well run organization that surrounded him with championship caliber players/coaches his entire NBA life. AD hasn't had even a sniff of that.
This. People are just glamorizing past eras without actually looking at the fact that superstars have moved around the NBA forever.
ATM9000
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Question: have you ever left one organization for a better opportunity? Does that make you a weak sauce whiny crybaby for putting yourself in a better situation?
Harry Dunne
AustinAg2012 said:

One would think. Will be interesting what the Fakers offer in return, if/when it happens. Kawho will then sign this summer and there's the NBA's next stacked team. What a bunch of pansies players are nowadays... The true legends of the game (e.g., Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, etc.) never would've done what these chumps do.
You don't know what those guys would have done because they had great teams around them and never had to cross that bridge. Bird, Duncan and Magic all had at least one ring by the time they were Davis' age. Jordan was losing the first of 2 consecutive very close Eastern Conference Finals to the Pistons and was only 2 years away from his first championship. All of them were in organizations in which they competed for and won championships throughout their career. Jordan was the only one that had a slow start, but by this time in his career, it was clearly within his grasp.
PascalsWager
AG
Look Out Below said:

Ingram is definitely inefficient but the upside is there. You have to remember he's 21. He could play 15 more years. Lonzo's shooting has gotten better since a putrid rookie season. He's also only 21. Those two should still be in college. Kuzma is the second best player on the Lakers and they don't have to pay him until 2020 so I doubt they let him go. Were it not for the injuries -- LeBron, Ingram, Rondo x2, Ball -- this team would be in the top four in the conference. Even with some of the injuries they were top four in the conference until LeBron went down. As young as it is, this team is better than you give it credit for. It does need to prove it can stay healthy though.
I completely disagree. Its not 1994 where these guys "should still be in college". Go look at almost any all-star's 3rd year efficiency stats. His numbers look like Michael Carter-Williams. He'd have to improve drastically to be a league average player. Ingram is on his way to being Michael Beasely. There's 100s of guys who can fill that role.

Lonzo's shooting numbers have gone from abysmal to a little less abysmal. The free throw percentage is still .417. That's right. UNDER 42%. There's nothing promising about his shooting. The marginal improvements must get way better for him even get to a below average level. Outside of some very special cases (Kemba Walker) no one gets better at shooting once you get to the NBA. Especially when you start as one the worst shooters in the history of the league. We can discuss the other parts of the his game, sure. He's a pretty good passer and a decent defender. I'll grant he can even make big improvements in those areas. Even with all that said and some shooting improvements. Let's say he makes one of the greatest jumps in the history of the league and gets to .45/.35/.65. He's still merely playoff starter and borderline early 2000s eastern conference all-star.

Kuzma's contract makes him more valuable. I agree. But what the Lakers want and need is Raef Lafrentz. And he's Brook Lopez. A non-rebounding, non- defending, shooting big man.

Davis is top 10 talent in the history of the league. You trade anyone on the roster to get him. Because outside of the LA, the young players haven't shown that they have a lot of potential. They range from complete Andrew Wiggins-like-garbage to having top 50 player in the league upside.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Great post.
Look Out Below
AG
If Davis was a top 10 all-time talent, the Pelicans would be having more success than they have. He is very good though and worth a package of three solid players. You can put me down for not calling Kuzma Brook Lopez though. The guy is halfway through his second season and plays well without the ball in his hands, something most of the rest of that group can't do. D'Angelo Russell was plenty mediocre too for a few years but he seems to be taking it another level lately.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Look Out Below said:

If Davis was a top 10 all-time talent, the Pelicans would be having more success than they have.

This. People are sensationalizing this and calling it the biggest trade since Kareem. Davis is a great player but he doesn't necessarily make his teammates better like the greats.
ATM9000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Look Out Below said:

If Davis was a top 10 all-time talent, the Pelicans would be having more success than they have.

This. People are sensationalizing this and calling it the biggest trade since Kareem. Davis is a great player but he doesn't necessarily make his teammates better like the greats.

My favorite hot take this week: Anthony Davis is overrated. Ok. You name the teams with the second best player on the roster that's not as good as Jrue Holiday. That answers the question about the talent around Davis.
Harry Dunne
Well then I guess James Harden is at least a top-9 all-time talent because he can carry a team where for a stretch of recent games the next best player on the court was PJ Tucker.

Even when healthy, I'm not sure that CP3 2019 version is as good as Jrue H.
Enzo The Baker
AG
ATM9000 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Question: have you ever left one organization for a better opportunity? Does that make you a weak sauce whiny crybaby for putting yourself in a better situation?
I agree with this to a certain extent. But to me, that's what free agency is for. The trade demand to a larger market mid-contract has become the norm (Paul George being the weird outlier). It's like a contract doesn't matter anymore. It's going to be almost impossible for small markets to keep their star players if nothing changes. But the player movement is good overall for the League, I suppose.

Quote:

Paul, of Klutch Sports, told ESPN on Monday that he had informed the Pelicans that Davis wouldn't sign an extension this summer and wanted a trade. Multiple league sources expect the agent and star to soon deliver word throughout the league that Davis' preferred destination is the Los Angeles Lakers and he'll become a rental player until 2020 with a trade anywhere else.

Davis was fined $50,000 for his agent making the trade demand public. The Lakers probably should get fined for tampering but won't.
Harry Dunne
ATM9000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Look Out Below said:

My favorite hot take this week: Anthony Davis is overrated. Ok. You name the teams with the second best player on the roster that's not as good as Jrue Holiday. That answers the question about the talent around Davis.
The talent around Davis looked pretty good beating the Rockets without Davis last night...and without Mirotic, Randle, E'Twaun Moore AND their starting PG.

Okafor is looking like the guy that was drafted 3rd & was 1st team all-rookie a few years ago - 27 & 12 last night.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Hmmmmm.
Iowaggie
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

ATM9000 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

I agree with this to a certain extent. But to me, that's what free agency is for. The trade demand to a larger market mid-contract has become the norm (Paul George being the weird outlier). It's like a contract doesn't matter anymore. It's going to be almost impossible for small markets to keep their star players if nothing changes. But the player movement is good overall for the League, I suppose.

Quote:

Paul, of Klutch Sports, told ESPN on Monday that he had informed the Pelicans that Davis wouldn't sign an extension this summer and wanted a trade. Multiple league sources expect the agent and star to soon deliver word throughout the league that Davis' preferred destination is the Los Angeles Lakers and he'll become a rental player until 2020 with a trade anywhere else.

Davis was fined $50,000 for his agent making the trade demand public. The Lakers probably should get fined for tampering but won't.

I don't understand the agent's move in this. I can appreciate a player informing the team that they won't sign an extension because it allows the team to get some value for the player versus just bailing at free agency.

It actually benefits the team to have that known in advance, unlike what happened to the Cavs when LeBron left.

But why make it public? It hurts AD's image. Does it change that much?
Maybe it is better for the team to let it be known that Davis is doing this when all the trade rumors come out.
jackie childs
new orleans should reply publicly and state that they're happy to trade AD to the lakers, but only if they get Lebron in the deal.
Olsen
AG

Pelicans should take this deal IMO
Iowaggie
AG
Carlos_Magnuson
AG
I hate the Lakers, but I'd be OK with AD to LA as long as Lonzo Ball is part of the deal and we all get to watch his dad's head literally explode.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Man the Lakers front office is dumb. They should offer whatever the Pelicans want if they want him now. I wouldn't take that offer if I was the Pels either (I think Ball is the player with the most potential but none of those players are close to becoming all stars). And a future 1st of a team with AD and LeBron really doesn't mean anything. If they want AD they have to sack up or get a 3rd team involved. Otherwise, they continue to waste Brons good years. And he has already shown human signs for the first time in his career this year with his injury.

I love watching Magic whiff on all of these trades.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol Rondo and Beasley. The Pelicans won't (and shouldn't) consider anything less than Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac and multiple picks. Hell, LA might even have to throw in Hart or Wagner as well.
Look Out Below
AG
Lol at trying to trade eight players for one.
ATM9000
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Well then I guess James Harden is at least a top-9 all-time talent because he can carry a team where for a stretch of recent games the next best player on the court was PJ Tucker.

Even when healthy, I'm not sure that CP3 2019 version is as good as Jrue H.

Yeah... but CP3 also isn't the Rockets second best player anymore. Had he not gotten hurt, Capela would have been in the all star conversation... he's the Rockets second best player and I think if you offered Capela for Holiday, the Pelicans would fall all over their words to say yes with no hesitation.

Regardless, when I hear 'top 10 talent' vs 'top 10 player', I hear potential to be one of the 10 best players of all time vs one of the top 10 players of all time. Harden and Davis both easily fit the bill of top 10 talents.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.