*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,975 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
drewbie08 said:

I'm getting tired of hearing about Kawhi. It's a shame because I think most of us wanted him to have the demeanor of TD, that's obviously not the case.

So in efforts to distract from the trade scenarios, question for the resident Spurs fans:

Who wins in a 7-game series...the 2018 Warriors or the 2014 Beautiful Game Spurs? That year Spurs team was my most favorite out of the last 20 years. I think they seriously challenge if not outright win against this years Dubs. Thoughts?
I'd take the Spurs in that one. Nobody was beating that team.
LawHall88
AG
Good Poster
AG
'14 Spurs was a great team but one of the slowest paced team per usual Spurs. NBA game has changed a lot since then and that Spurs roster was too old to keep up with '18 Warriors. Not sure Duncan would have been even playable for more than 15 minutes.
flashplayer
AG
Money Ag said:

'14 Spurs was a great team but one of the slowest paced team per usual Spurs. NBA game has changed a lot since then and that Spurs roster was too old to keep up with '18 Warriors. Not sure Duncan would have been even playable for more than 15 minutes.

People keep saying the game has magically changed but it hasn't. Golden State just got crazy good. Everyone else is still same League as before.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
LawHall88 said:

Can't find tweet now, but read earlier today that Spurs/Lakers had ZERO contact. Actually, I think it was Woj... Probably deleted/replaced with above tweet.
Malcolm52
AG
Money Ag said:

'14 Spurs really moved the ball and were definitely different than Spurs teams of old. Really I thought the Spurs reinvented themselves and started doing a lot of different things starting in 2011 and culminating in 2014.

Not sure of advanced stats or anything though
West Texan
AG
Money Ag said:

This year the warriors pace was 99.6 (5th in the league). 2014 Spurs pace was 95 (10th). Really not that big of a difference. Duncan or Splitter would have been fine, just couldn't have played together.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

drewbie08 said:

I'm getting tired of hearing about Kawhi. It's a shame because I think most of us wanted him to have the demeanor of TD, that's obviously not the case.

So in efforts to distract from the trade scenarios, question for the resident Spurs fans:

Who wins in a 7-game series...the 2018 Warriors or the 2014 Beautiful Game Spurs? That year Spurs team was my most favorite out of the last 20 years. I think they seriously challenge if not outright win against this years Dubs. Thoughts?
I wouldn't go that far, though I do think the series would have been very competitive and close. I'd probably lean towards whoever had home floor in Game 7 winning the series. We are of course assuming there are no injuries that affect either side.

Golden State's win-loss record the past 4 seasons including both regular and post-season is a ridiculous 386-83. An 82.3% winning percentage over the past 4 seasons, with 3 NBA titles. I saw it tweeted recently that winning percentage is the best ever in NBA history over any consecutive 4 year period by an NBA franchise.

GSW is an all-time great team and their current dynasty level run probably still has at least another couple NBA titles to go . That 2014 Spurs team was also wonderful though definitely. Would have been a fun series to watch.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

LawHall88 said:

Can't find tweet now, but read earlier today that Spurs/Lakers had ZERO contact. Actually, I think it was Woj... Probably deleted/replaced with above tweet.
Just more posturing. The Lakers, KLs Agent. and/or the Kawhi camp trying to make it look like the Spurs arent listening to any offers whatsoever, hoping to further the divide between KL and PATFO. Comical, but expected.
LawHall88
AG
Good Poster
AG
West Texan said:

Duncan or Splitter would have been fine

Lol
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Ag Natural said:

drewbie08 said:

I wouldn't go that far, though I do think the series would have been very competitive and close. I'd probably lean towards whoever had home floor in Game 7 winning the series. We are of course assuming there are no injuries that affect either side.

Golden State's win-loss record the past 4 seasons including both regular and post-season is a ridiculous 386-83. An 82.3% winning percentage over the past 4 seasons, with 3 NBA titles. I saw it tweeted recently that winning percentage is the best ever in NBA history over any consecutive 4 year period by an NBA franchise.

GSW is an all-time great team and their current dynasty level run probably still has at least another couple NBA titles to go . That 2014 Spurs team was also wonderful though definitely. Would have been a fun series to watch.

Tiago vs Draymond would be kinda fun to watch. **** would have gotten nasty and physical. No way they dont both get thrown out/suspended for at least 1 game.
Ulrich
Neither team is like the Nash Suns where they are trying to sprint up the court every possession for an early shot, but there is a ton of activity.

I saw a stat where the '14 Spurs had the ball across half court in under 4 seconds at a very high rate, but if you were back they were perfectly comfortable settling into a half court set, reversing the ball a couple times, and getting some motion going. First play would usually have the payoff at around 11 seconds and if that didn't work they would shift into another set for a shot at 3-6 seconds. All the action made it feel fast even though the number of possessions wasn't extremely high, and I think the Warriors are similar. They are maximizing something like scoring opportunities rather than possessions.

The other thing is that unlike a lot of high octane teams, both the spurs and warriors play/played good enough defense to make the other team use up some time.

Aside from that, both have an incredible ability to sense weakness and go on a 15 point run in the blink of an eye. You're on the edge of your seat the whole game because you know it's coming, you just don't know when.

The warriors clearly have more talent, but the '14 TEAM was at least good enough to make it a fair match.
Malcolm52
AG
Money Ag said:

West Texan said:

Lol
Thank you for contribution.
West Texan
AG
Money Ag said:

West Texan said:

Lol

Excellent, compelling argument. Would read again.
Ag Natural
AG
The formula to beat the Warriors. Great/Disciplined defense, limit turnovers, dominate the glass. The 2014 Spurs would have punished the Warriors on the glass and their offense was very, very good. They destroyed the Heat that year an it wasn't close. Everyone forgets how great that Miami team was and the Durant Thunder was close to peaking as well.

I just think the Warrior overwhelm teams with their offense which is probably the best ever. But there hasn't been an elite defense for them to face. The closest was the Spurs last year before Zaza... and that was going very well for the Spurs.
dave99ag
AG
The Beautiful Game!!!

Ulrich
Can't show part 1 without showing part 2. It's very bittersweet now though....

Ag Natural
AG
How could Kawhi watch that and want to leave?
jteagle
AG
West Texan said:

Money Ag said:

This year the warriors pace was 99.6 (5th in the league). 2014 Spurs pace was 95 (10th). Really not that big of a difference. Duncan or Splitter would have been fine, just couldn't have played together.
If I remember Boris started more games than Splitter in the finals and played twice as many minutes. I could see Pop doing the same thing against the Warriors with their lineup.
Malcolm52
AG
Lineup Against 2018 Warriors:

Starters:
Parker
Green
Kawhi
Boris
Duncan

Off the bench:
Manu
Mills
Bellinelli

Crunch Time:
Parker
Manu
Green
Kawhi
Duncan
Guitarsoup
AG
I really want Luka. I think the Mavs will get him. Yay get to watch him more. :/
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I really want Luka. I think the Mavs will get him. Yay get to watch him more. :/

Yep
Pendragon12
AG
Why does Atlanta make that trade? Just seems like they just got fleeced.
West Texan
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Counting on Dallas having a high draft pick for the future pick that will be theirs as well, I guess.
FTAG 2000
AG
For Trae Young? No matter how that pick turns out next year Atlanta got took.
West Texan
AG
AG 2000' said:

For Trae Young? No matter how that pick turns out next year Atlanta got took.

I agree, but to be fair, guys in the Hawks organization that are being paid to make these decisions disagree with me.
Pendragon12
AG
West Texan said:

Pendragon12 said:

Counting on Dallas having a high draft pick for the future pick that will be theirs as well, I guess.

Yeah. Still seems like a poor trade. They must love Young, and no one else was willing to trade up with them.
mike_ags_fan12
8 picks away.
West Texan
AG
Man I'd love if we could swing a trade to move up a few spots and take Michael Porter. I know the injury concerns are real, but man he could be really, really good.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Man I'd love if we could swing a trade to move up a few spots and take Michael Porter. I know the injury concerns are real, but man he could be really, really good.
https://cleaningtheglass.com/the-michael-porter-mystery/

I don't really want him. Not sure he will have the same explosiveness back.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Don't think there's going to be a Leonard trade tonight. Stein says the Clips picked their two picks for themselves but they tried to make the trade for Leonard.
mike_ags_fan12
Clips took a SG and traded for a PG. any impact on spurs or Kawhi?
Guitarsoup
AG
I'd be happy to get Aaron Holliday at 18.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'd be happy to get Aaron Holliday at 18.

Please no.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.