Dream Was 20 Times Better Than Tim Duncan

16,786 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by C Loves L
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/robert-horry-hakeem-olajuwon-20-times-better-tim-duncan/#qxHTzLgUPRkKP3vZ.97

If anyone would know, it would be Big Shot Bob.

Guitarsoup
AG
He must have 100 championships, then.
Obi Wan Ginobili
This is azulag level dumbassery.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Horry has made these jabs at Duncan out of nowhere before. It's bizarre.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Clickbait
aggie_fan13
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

This is azulag level dumbassery.
why would I ever post something negative about Timmy
aggie_fan13
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think horry is mad at Spurs organization for some reason or another, idk why. But he seems bitter, haven't seen him at a spurs game since he retired
Enzo The Baker
AG

He even throws Manu under the bus at the end.
BBQ4Me
AG
This argument has been played out on TexAgs for years.

Dream had a better peak. Duncan had a better career
Farmer1906
AG
azulAg said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I think horry is mad at Spurs organization for some reason or another, idk why. But he seems bitter, haven't seen him at a spurs game since he retired

Because he considers himself a Rocket?
GatorAg03
AG
And Rob was basically dismissed for his delusion and laughed at. It was pretty funny when the Jordan comment shut him up.

I'm sure Rob didn't get along well with Duncan. You have one player who was known for consistency, substance and hard work and another who know for being talented but insanely lazy, coat tail rider and inconsistent. I imagine they weren't fast friends with such contrasting outlooks on the game.

I'll always appreciate Rob for his big playoff moments but he is hardly the player to ask when talking about career greatness. He frankly could have been a very good/great player, but was content with being situationally great.

Hakeem may have had an arguably higher peak than Duncan by the tiniest of margins, but Duncan was clearly the better player and had the better career and history will show that. Of course lazy Rob is going to want to promote a few peak moments of greatness over a consistent career. His whole career was based on just that philisophy.
Petrino1
Where are you getting the Horry was lazy story? Ive never heard that narrative about him, from everything Ive read/heard he seemed like a model teammate and got along well with all of his coaches and teammates. Im sure that laziness wouldn't have faired well with Hakeem, Pop, Kobe but yet all of those guys seemed to like him.
Guitarsoup
AG
ea1060 said:

Where are you getting the Horry was lazy story? Ive never heard that narrative about him, from everything Ive read/heard he seemed like a model teammate and got along well with all of his coaches and teammates. Im sure that laziness wouldn't have faired well with Hakeem, Pop, Kobe but yet all of those guys seemed to like him.
It has been discussed since he was with the Rockets.

Tim Duncan:
Quote:

I'll tell you the deal with Rob, Rob just hangs out the entire game. He does it all season long, he doesn't do anything. He doesn't feel like playing. He shows up sometimes, and then you put him in the fourth quarter in a big game, whether it be regular season or the playoffs, and he's like, "Okay, it's time to play now. I've been hanging out the entire season, it's time to play now." And he just turns it on.

Guitarsoup
AG
nm
03_Aggie
GatorAg03 said:

And Rob was basically dismissed for his delusion and laughed at. It was pretty funny when the Jordan comment shut him up.

I'm sure Rob didn't get along well with Duncan. You have one player who was known for consistency, substance and hard work and another who know for being talented but insanely lazy, coat tail rider and inconsistent. I imagine they weren't fast friends with such contrasting outlooks on the game.

I'll always appreciate Rob for his big playoff moments but he is hardly the player to ask when talking about career greatness. He frankly could have been a very good/great player, but was content with being situationally great.

Hakeem may have had an arguably higher peak than Duncan by the tiniest of margins, but Duncan was clearly the better player and had the better career and history will show that. Of course lazy Rob is going to want to promote a few peak moments of greatness over a consistent career. His whole career was based on just that philisophy.

The guy has seven rings with three different teams. I don't think the spurs or lakers were out looking for an insanely lazy, inconsistent coattail rider when they signed him.
GatorAg03
AG
And I'm sure coat tail Rob didn't agree to sign with a Duncan led Spurs team who was 20 times less talented than Hakeem.

And the Spurs absolutely signed him for what they got, which was an inconsistent role player who was a big shot taker in the playoffs.

I think he averaged somewhere around 7ppg for the Spurs. He absolutely took off most the reg season and the Spurs were good with it as the playoffs were looming.
Guitarsoup
AG
Horry averaged 4.7 points and 3.4 rebounds for the Spurs over 5 years.

But all that loafing was worth it for this one game.

Farmer1906
AG
http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/tim_duncan_vs_hakeem_olajuwon.htm

I don't think Dream was 20x better than Duncan.

I do know that he averaged more points, rebounds, steals, and blocks. He also had a higher FG & FT percentage. Same is true for peak years, playoff years, and peak years in the playoffs.
Guitarsoup
AG

But cool that Hakeem racked up a lot of stats while having six 1st round exits or completely missing the playoffs in his first 8 seasons.
Farmer1906
AG
Not everyone gets the perfect scenario for a perfect run. Great coaches, all-time great teammates, ridiculous drafts, etc.

Where's Robert Horry in your graphic? He's got more rings than most of those chumps.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Where's Robert Horry in your graphic? He's got more rings than most of those chumps.

0 MVPs
0 Finals MVPs
aggie_fan13
AG
Horry has a big mouth for a role player, no doubt hes clutch but he was lucky to be on those rocket,Lakers,spurs teams.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Not everyone gets the perfect scenario for a perfect run. Great coaches, all-time great teammates, ridiculous drafts, etc.
The 94/95 title runs seemed to have whitewashed a lot about Hakeem's legacy. But the truth is that he wasn't a good teammate for most of his career. He was moody and selfish.

Hakeem faked injuries because he wanted to be paid more.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-03-24/sports/9201270434_1_rockets-owner-charlie-thomas-hakeem-olajuwon-leonard-armato

He was swept out of the playoffs 4 times, got bounced in the 1st round 9 times and missed the playoffs in his prime while he was being a petulant brat because he wanted to be paid more.

The Rockets tried hard to trade him repeatedly and were denied for trades that look laughable now.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-09-06/sports/9209060421_1_olajuwon-hakeem-mark-randall

Houston asked Miami for Rony Seikly, Grant Long and Harold Miner and MIAMI said no.

How about this:
The Rockets hope to avoid starting from scratch again. But Roberts holds the key. If he decides he does not want to play in LA, he could open the door to trade Olajuwon. Even then, though, it will not be easy.

The Knicks may be trying to join the threesome of Orlando, the Rockets and Clippers in what could amount to an incredible exchange of talent.

The deal would send Olajuwon to the Clippers and Sleepy Floyd to the Clippers or Knicks. Houston would receive Danny Manning and Loy Vaught from the Clippers, Roberts from Orlando and Gerald Wilkins from the Knicks, if he can be signed before the trade. Wilkins is an unrestricted free agent.

The Clippers would receive Olajuwon along with Jackson and Charles Oakley from the Knicks while giving up Manning and Vaught to Houston and Smith and Rivers to New York.

New York would receive Smith, Rivers and perhaps Floyd for Oakley, Jackson and Wilkins.

Orlando would receive two first-round draft picks, probably from the Clippers, for Roberts.

It's only about as confusing as trigonometry.

Normally, getting two general managers to agree on a trade is tough enough. Arranging a deal that four GMs feel is equitable seems like an impossibility.

This could explain why there was a shortage of comment from all the would-be participants in this trade. It appeared late Friday that while all four teams are interested in doing deals, they probably will have trouble getting together for one big blockbuster.

Again, Roberts probably will determine who makes the first move.

A good gauge of where things stand on the Olajuwon front is the shortage of information that has trickled out in the past few days. Rockets GM Steve Patterson has been in contact with Clippers GM Elgin Baylor and other principals in the deal several times in the past two days but refuses to comment on the proceedings.

One source in LA said the Clippers would rather have a 22-year-old Stanley Roberts than Olajuwon, who will be 30 this season.

superunknown
AG
I won't sit idly while you post derogatory things about the greatest center to pull on the purple and black of the legendary Toronto Raptors, sir.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

The 94/95 title runs seemed to have whitewashed a lot about Hakeem's legacy. But the truth is that he wasn't a good teammate for most of his career. He was moody and selfish.

Hakeem faked injuries because he wanted to be paid more.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-03-24/sports/9201270434_1_rockets-owner-charlie-thomas-hakeem-olajuwon-leonard-armato

He was swept out of the playoffs 4 times, got bounced in the 1st round 9 times and missed the playoffs in his prime while he was being a petulant brat because he wanted to be paid more.

The Rockets tried hard to trade him repeatedly and were denied for trades that look laughable now.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-09-06/sports/9209060421_1_olajuwon-hakeem-mark-randall

Houston asked Miami for Rony Seikly, Grant Long and Harold Miner and MIAMI said no.

How about this:
The Rockets hope to avoid starting from scratch again. But Roberts holds the key. If he decides he does not want to play in LA, he could open the door to trade Olajuwon. Even then, though, it will not be easy.

The Knicks may be trying to join the threesome of Orlando, the Rockets and Clippers in what could amount to an incredible exchange of talent.

The deal would send Olajuwon to the Clippers and Sleepy Floyd to the Clippers or Knicks. Houston would receive Danny Manning and Loy Vaught from the Clippers, Roberts from Orlando and Gerald Wilkins from the Knicks, if he can be signed before the trade. Wilkins is an unrestricted free agent.

The Clippers would receive Olajuwon along with Jackson and Charles Oakley from the Knicks while giving up Manning and Vaught to Houston and Smith and Rivers to New York.

New York would receive Smith, Rivers and perhaps Floyd for Oakley, Jackson and Wilkins.

Orlando would receive two first-round draft picks, probably from the Clippers, for Roberts.

It's only about as confusing as trigonometry.

Normally, getting two general managers to agree on a trade is tough enough. Arranging a deal that four GMs feel is equitable seems like an impossibility.

This could explain why there was a shortage of comment from all the would-be participants in this trade. It appeared late Friday that while all four teams are interested in doing deals, they probably will have trouble getting together for one big blockbuster.

Again, Roberts probably will determine who makes the first move.

A good gauge of where things stand on the Olajuwon front is the shortage of information that has trickled out in the past few days. Rockets GM Steve Patterson has been in contact with Clippers GM Elgin Baylor and other principals in the deal several times in the past two days but refuses to comment on the proceedings.

One source in LA said the Clippers would rather have a 22-year-old Stanley Roberts than Olajuwon, who will be 30 this season.

So you're taking the side of the world's ****tiest ownership who wanted to trade an all-time great for trash?
Guitarsoup
AG
No one would have ever considered trading Hakeem if he wasn't a ****ty teammate. He eventually grew up a lot. But Hakeem wasn't all great all the time.

Not only were the Rockets trying to trade him, but other teams were saying no.

Ag Natural
AG
Duncan was an MVP candidate from day one and had his team in contention for 19 straight years. His last all pro season was year 17.

No logical individual would rank Hakeem higher.

That being said, I would pay big money to see 2003 Duncan vs. 1995 Hakeem.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Duncan was an MVP candidate from day one and had his team in contention for 19 straight years. His last all pro season was year 17.

Duncan absolutely should have won the MVP in his second season in the league. Both of Karl Malone's MVPs were bull. Duncan should have won in 99 and then he proved it in the playoffs. Jordan should have won in 97, because Jordan.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

No one would have ever considered trading Hakeem if he wasn't a ****ty teammate. He eventually grew up a lot. But Hakeem wasn't all great all the time.

I find it entertaining you think that gif of Robinson, of all players, blocking a shot helps your argument.

Dream had about 6 or 7 years as good as ole Timmy's best.

That fact that you're reaching for something that doesn't exist says all that needs to be said.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Duncan absolutely should have won the MVP in his second season in the league. Both of Karl Malone's MVPs were bull. Duncan should have won in 99 and then he proved it in the playoffs. Jordan should have won in 97, because Jordan.
Dream absolutely should have won the MVP in 1995. Robinson's MVP was Bull. He proved it in the playoffs.

That sound about right?
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I find it entertaining you think that gif of Robinson, of all players, blocking a shot helps your argument.

Dream had about 6 or 7 years as good as ole Timmy's best.

That fact that you're reaching for something that doesn't exist says all that needs to be said.
I haven't reached on anything.

And you are too young to remember it, but that is Robinson blocking a potential game-winning shot. It was a pretty big deal.

Kind of like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Hakeem was a great player. And the time I spent with him, he was a very nice guy.

Farmer1906
AG
Move on to Harden because you know your silly argument about being a bad teammate doesn't hold water. Why do you think guys like Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Mad Max go to bad for Hakeem 25 years later? They know he never gets the credit he deserves. They know about his greatness. They know he was fantastic to play with and a true leader.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Dream absolutely should have won the MVP in 1995. Robinson's MVP was Bull. He proved it in the playoffs.

That sound about right?
Except for the little fact that Hakeem had a better team, better teammates, but was only a 6th seed while Robinson had the best record in the NBA. Their stats were similar.

Anyone saying that Hakeem deserved the 95 MVP is idiotic, including Hakeem himself if he really believes that.

Meanwhile, Duncan was a significantly better defender than Malone, had great offensive stats and was the top seed in the NBA playoffs.

So other than Hakeem winning the WCF (Jazz didn't even make it to the WCF) there really isn't a parallel there.

Robinson deserved that MVP, Hakeem deserved that Finals MVP.

Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

Move on to Harden because you know your silly argument about being a bad teammate doesn't hold water. Why do you think guys like Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Mad Max go to bad for Hakeem 25 years later? They know he never gets the credit he deserves. They know about his greatness. They know he was fantastic to play with and a true leader.
You only think that because you aren't old enough to remember Hakeem before 1994.

Hakeem's buddies standing up for him doesn't move the needle for me. Just like when Tony Parker talks about Duncan being the greatest ever someday, no one will care.

Hakeem gets tons of credit. He had a great two year run. He has the blocks record. He was a great player.

But I can also guarantee you that anyone that remembers his first 9 years in the league wouldn't take Hakeem over Duncan for their entire careers. He was a bad teammate and there are a ton of articles about it if you want to dig deep. That's why the Rockets shopped him so hard and why other teams were saying no to taking him.
Farmer1906
AG
And just because you brought up block shots. Let's review some of the greatest shot blockers blocked shots.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.