USMNT and TAMU Soccer Parallels...

1,315 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HiddenAg2
tamufan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"It seemed to me that we were possessing for possession sake, and that we had no real plan in the forward 3rd of the field. It basically seemed like "possess until you get the ball up there and then do what you can." (aTmAg)
"It seems to me, that Pep at Barcelona changed a lot with hyper possession. Now almost everybody tries to do it, but only a few can really pull it off. Everybody else (including USMNT) merely possess for the sake of possessing.
I read somewhere that the Dutch coach was perfectly happy to allow us to try to out possess them. It wasn't that we were better at it than them. In fact, they showed they were clearly better once they won the ball immediately prior to their first goal. It's just that we were not dangerous with it.
The best coach I've ever knew first hand once told me "it's easy to teach possession, it's hard to install a potent offensive scheme from it." He told me that is what separates great teams from good teams." (aTmAg)
"You mentioned Pep - the way to beat City right now is pretty much what the Dutch did to us Saturday - let them try and try and try to unlock your defense, wait for a couple of key miss-hit passes or cleared cornerkicks and then counter to win a scoring chance or a set piece. Same with Liverpool. Both of those teams LOVE IT when you come out and try to win the ball higher on the field because you stretch out and open space for them to beat you in. The first and second Dutch goals didn't come off of them being able to out-possess the US; they came off of transition play opportunities where they were able to push fast at a US formation that was out of balance." (jeffk)
PascalsWager
AG
I think we get a little too caught up in the tactics and gameplanning. Soccer is significantly less planned sport than American football.

The Netherlands has better players than we do.

The fact that we were able to control possession shows incredible progress of the national team. In the past, even if we wanted to, we wouldn't have been able to control possession. Maybe its fair to say that it was naive to play the way we did.

The Ags don't show intent or possession or anything on offense. I don't really see the parallel.
tamufan
Yeah, not a perfect comparison. But lots of possession, little to show for it. Difficulty finishing.
Rudyjax
AG
I've found when all my team struggled I find commonality.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
tamufan said:

Yeah, not a perfect comparison. But lots of possession, little to show for it. Difficulty finishing.
We need more players like Pulisic!
Rudyjax
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

tamufan said:

We need more players like Pulisic!
Yeah, it would suck not to have his 3 goals (1g 2a) in the World Cup.

AustinScubaAg
AG
PascalsWager said:

I think we get a little too caught up in the tactics and gameplanning. Soccer is significantly less planned sport than American football.

The fact that we were able to control possession shows incredible progress of the national team. In the past, even if we wanted to, we wouldn't have been able to control possession. Maybe its fair to say that it was naive to play the way we did.

Well when possession mattered, second half of wales and Iran we were unable maintain possession. We only really maintain possession when the other team let us.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

PascalsWager said:

Well when possession mattered, second half of wales and Iran we were unable maintain possession. We only really maintain possession when the other team let us.
We didn't even try to maintain possession in either of those games. Add to that the subs we had in the game.

Our strongest 11-13 are quality. The reason we didn't go further is beyond 13 we're not nearly as strong.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

AustinScubaAg said:

PascalsWager said:

We didn't even try to maintain possession in either of those games. Add to that the subs we had in the game.

Our strongest 11-13 are quality. The reason we didn't go further is beyond 13 we're not nearly as strong.
I do not disagree with your assessment but even when the starters were on early in the second half we had much less possession . If that is by design the GGG is an idiot.
HiddenAg2
I have to admit I was thinking these same thoughts watching the US Men play. Seemed scarily familiar with the Aggie women this season. Just no punch or any real strategy in the offensive third.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.