***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,840 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NED is a solid team, but our play was sloppy. If this team was wiped out because of the effort it took to beat Iran, that honestly says a lot about our lack of quality.
TRM
AG
Aggies1322 said:

MB19 said:

Reyna should have been on from the beginning.

He hasn't looked that good tbh.. not sharp.
I think at the point when he was inserted it was hard for him to make a difference down 2.
wangus12
AG
IowaAg07 said:

I wish we had their back line. They've been cool, collected, and pick out the right pass to start the break.

Outside of maybe France, they have arguably the most talented backline
tysker
AG
Dutch played super clinical today. Was like watching Bama
Agthatbuilds
Not our best game but still had a chance.

Pulisic has to score that early goal.

Need to find some goal scorers and figure out how to finish.

See you in 4 years.m, world cup
snowdog90
Great learning experience for a young team that should be stronger in 4 years.
duck79
AG
So do we have any young 9s in the pipeline because rolling out Sargeant and Wright for rebounds ain't the future.
tysker
AG
TRM said:

Aggies1322 said:

MB19 said:

Reyna should have been on from the beginning.

He hasn't looked that good tbh.. not sharp.
I think at the point when he was inserted it was hard for him to make a difference down 2.

Then why was he inserted? Of all the players on the bench Gio was the go to guy when the team is behind
AustinScubaAg
AG
duck79 said:

So do we have any young 9s in the pipeline because rolling out Sargeant and Wright for rebounds ain't the future.

Paxton Arrinson?
Gordo14
Outcoached. That was the biggest difference. They had a very clear and well excuted strategy, and we just flailed wildly at their goal.
Ag Since 83
AG
Did Lalas just say we were the better team?
PatAg
AG
The game was there for the taking, but we gave them 2 training session goals
The first one they just unlocked our press with a string of perfect passes and movement, and Adams didnt hustle back on defense one time all tournament

Pulisic puts away his wide open attempt 6 minutes in, who knows

We continued to develop chances all game and get into dangerous spots, going to be exciting to see these players continue to develop as well as all the other 24 and younger players that werent on this team.

Berhalter did a pretty good job overall at the World Cup itself, we just need to make the right hire for this next one
its going to be weird not having WCQ, and probably hard to find games to truly test our player pool at the international level before the World Cup
fig96
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

duck79 said:

Paxton Arrinson?
He's a winger.
Out in Left Field
AG
Gonna be a long 4 years
tysker
AG
First NED goal was total soccer exemplified
Gordo14
Out in Left Field said:

Gonna be a long 4 years

3 and a half.
wangus12
AG
Hell all of their goals were unchallenged, training routine hits. It wasn't clincal. It was like taking warmups. Just pass it into the net
chjoak
AG
My $0.02 going forward...

GK - we are in decent shape but need to find atleast a couple guys to push Turner
FB - Robinson & Dest are a good tandem going forward. Need to identify strong backups that can push them and provide us depth. Scally may be that option at RB.
CB - Need to start over. They weren't terrible but too many lapses and Ream is simply too old. Carter-Vickers could be an option going forward but we badly need to identify better options in the pool.
CM - good young core. Need to continue to develop and find more quality depth.
W - same as CM
ST - gotta find a few guys who can actually score. We scored 3 goals in 4 matches. The only one from a ST was a fluke goal.
Manager - not a fan of Greg. Would rather we find a Euro manager to help shape the NT pool. If the federation opts to keep him, he really needs to gets some assistants with Euro/South American experience that can bring some new concepts & mentality.

Overall we need to be encouraging our best players to get to Europe. MLS is just not good enough to develop players for international play. All of our young guys need to be playing in England, Spain, France, Portugal, Germany or Italy.
Fall92
AG
Alexi needs to have his liver checked.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Out in Left Field
AG
A clinical finisher would do wonders for this team
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Hell all of their goals were unchallenged, training routine hits. It wasn't clincal. It was like taking warmups. Just pass it into the net
Yea, the first goal just at least had a world class buildup to it
PatAg
AG
chjoak said:

My $0.02 going forward...

GK - we are in decent shape but need to find atleast a couple guys to push Turner
FB - Robinson & Dest are a good tandem going forward. Need to identify strong backups that can push them and provide us depth. Scally may be that option at RB.
CB - Need to start over. They weren't terrible but too many lapses and Ream is simply too old. Carter-Vickers could be an option going forward but we badly need to identify better options in the pool.
CM - good young core. Need to continue to develop and find more quality depth.
W - same as CM
ST - gotta find a few guys who can actually score. We scored 3 goals in 4 matches. The only one from a ST was a fluke goal.
Manager - not a fan of Greg. Would rather we find a Euro manager to help shape the NT pool. If the federation opts to keep him, he really needs to gets some assistants with Euro/South American experience that can bring some new concepts & mentality.

Overall we need to be encouraging our best players to get to Europe. MLS is just not good enough to develop players for international play. All of our young guys need to be playing in England, Spain, France, Portugal, Germany or Italy.
CB we had two young players get injured that possibly would have started

Midfield there already is depth, Gregg just didnt really bring in 4-5 players for one reason or another until it was too late
wasted a year with players like trapp and yueill
JJxvi
AG
We built a good soccer team, that played exciting, but in the end you have to build your team around how you're going to score goals and win games and not about "identity" or "style." We had some bad luck, but also the way we played just was never going to score enough goals.
Socrates05
AG
PatAg said:

The game was there for the taking, but we gave them 2 training session goals
The first one they just unlocked our press with a string of perfect passes and movement, and Adams didnt hustle back on defense one time all tournament

Pulisic puts away his wide open attempt 6 minutes in, who knows

We continued to develop chances all game and get into dangerous spots, going to be exciting to see these players continue to develop as well as all the other 24 and younger players that werent on this team.

Berhalter did a pretty good job overall at the World Cup itself, we just need to make the right hire for this next one
its going to be weird not having WCQ, and probably hard to find games to truly test our player pool at the international level before the World Cup

"probably hard to find games to truly test our player pool at the international level before the World Cup."

Interesting point but maybe alleviated by the young squad here. 4 years is a looong time but there is a settled 8 solid options already. You're only looking for 6-8 guys in the next cycle to fill those gaps. With those kind of numbers I would argue you are looking more to see how guys settle in with the core group than showing quality which can be done against reduced competition. Find the quality at club level and then see who fits in.
Mathguy64
AG
Who coaches this squad for the next cycle will be a huge decision. Do they leave ggg in place? Bring in someone from MLS? Bring in someone from the US Soccer pipeline like Ramos who coached these players in the U17/19 teams? Bring in someone like Marsch? Or bring in someone totally outside from the international level?

I don't know the right answer but that's going to be fascinating to watch.
DeangeloVickers
AG
If we keep Greg how do we stay excited
OneBlitzer
AG
Experience trumped youth. Match had a U19 vs. U16 vibe to it at times.
JJxvi
AG
We shouldn't keep coaches longer than 4 years even if they win the World Cup.
Socrates05
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Who coaches this squad for the next cycle will be a huge decision. Do they leave ggg in place? Bring in someone from MLS? Bring in someone from the US Soccer pipeline like Ramos who coached these players in the U17/19 teams? Bring in someone like Marsch? Or bring in someone totally outside from the international level?

I don't know the right answer but I know the wrong answer and that is keeping Gregg. It's also bringing in someone from MLS.

jeffdjohnson
That was basically the worst case that game could have played out. The quality was there, it was very impressive for long stretches. If the Pulisic big chance is converted then the tactics and run of play changes throughout the entire game. You now have 4 years to find a striker and more top class depth. The level between contenders like NED and ENG is marginal and based on trajectory, I dont see what stops the USMNT from getting there by 2026. It doesn't appear that the talent pool is about to dry up, it's just getting better.
chjoak
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Euro manager with 1-2 from the US Pipeline (Ramos) as assistants.
Furlock Bones
AG
Stop the Nepotism. Stop the grift.
Gordo14
Socrates05 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I don't know the right answer but I know the wrong answer and that is keeping Gregg. It's also bringing in someone from MLS.

The right answer is use an interm head coach, and hire Jesse Marsch after the EPL season
TRM
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Stop the Nepotism. Stop the grift.
TRM
AG
Gordo14 said:

Socrates05 said:

Mathguy64 said:

The right answer is use an interm head coach, and hire Jesse Marsch after the EPL season
What's the order of preference if you wanted to hire an American coaches?

1. Marsch
2. Dolo
3. Ramos
4. Other

What non-American manager would you want?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.