***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,821 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk said:

2-0 good guys
Wow, and I thought my 2-1 prediction was ambitious.

Also, suck it MEXICO! 2-0 forever World Cup scoreboard!
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

I think the three CBs for Netherlands are really good and might be hard to unlock. Blind and Dumfries at wingback don't worry me. On the other hand, Depay and Gakpo could be dangerous but the Dutch attack doesn't scare nearly as much as England's did.
Yep, we need whoever plays striker to be on the move a LOT, dragging them out of position. Then we need other players ready to exploit those gaps
KCup17
AG
The Dutch defense doesn't scare me as much as the English defense did. Also how big of a factor do we think the Flu will be? Frenkie is apparently struggling with it the most.
Pahdz
JJxvi said:

I think Reyna hasn't played mainly because we haven't been losing, there hasn't been a single second in this tournament in a second half where someone with a conservative mentality would think "we have to score a goal" yet

I think he's a diva with horrible body language and perhaps... maybe...not a good team player?

Totally conjecture but we've all seen his reactions on the field...is it possible that's how he's viewed? Even in his cup of coffee against England he was demonstrative on field when someone messed something up.
aggiephoenix02
Gio is an entitled, spoiled punk, but he's young, and has time to mature. And if he is good enough and does enough, we fans won't care as much how he behaves…
Pahdz
He needs someone to set his ass straight. Loads of talent, and again complete conjecture on my part, but needs to clean up some attitude it seems
aggiephoenix02
I totally agree with you…
Aston94
AG
I think you both are wrong. Gio is adored by his Dortmund teammates and seems to be well liked by the other USMNT players. He wears his emotions on his sleeve a bit, but he is really young. He doesn't need his ass set straight, nor is he a diva.
Agthatbuilds
aggiephoenix02
Well he does an incredible acting job then, because it seems like he's always caught on camera acting like a turd with his facial expressions, body language, etc. (on and off the pitch)…
oh no
AG
I've seen a lot of usmnt fandom on Twitter and Reddit actually love how angry Gio gets when he makes the run and doesn't get the ball or when his teammates make a bad decision or a bad touch. I understand both sides and I understand expecting better from everyone around you. He's still young and he's an undeniable talent.
Rudyjax
AG
Gio and Haaland would both get so pissed.
AG@RICE
AG
Most of the time when Gio is visibly angry about not getting the ball, I'm also typically angry. Pass the man the ball!

Can't improve by accepting mediocrity. Grump on Gio.
KCup17
AG
I'd be pissed too if guys like Jordan Morris and Haji Wright got more minutes than me at the WC.
AG@RICE
AG
Netherlands battling the flu!!!!!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/netherlands-ned/story/4822789/several-netherlands-players-battling-flu-before-usmnt-clash-van-gaal

Good Fauci!

Edit: Just saw it was posted earlier. Leaving it anyways. We should get to celebrate a virus after these past few years.
wangus12
AG
It's ****ing GameDay
aggiephoenix02
wangus12 said:

It's ****ing GameDay
I can't sleep, I'm so excited for this match!
Dre_00
A Dutch friend is coming over to watch the match with me. This is going to be interesting.
LB12Diamond
AG
So do we have a shot in this game.
Aston94
AG
Let's do this!!!!!
Agthatbuilds
birdman
United States wins 2-1
Gordo14
Bicycles suck
Dre_00
Went to look at new cars this morning and got into a discussion about the game with the salesperson. His take is that the US only have one good player but that they have a real shot due to their determination, energy, blah blah blah. I told him he might want to look at where some of the other players not named Pulisic are playing. Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and Valencia are pretty big clubs.

I also told him that if we buy a car from them, he can charge us 1000 EUR more if the Netherlands win but he has to give me a 1000 EUR discount if the US wins. We laughed but I might have just entered into an illegal gambling contract.
jeffk
AG
Channeling your inner Mattress Mack huh?
Pahdz
Fair enough, like I said it's complete conjecture. Maybe adored by teammates but irks the coaches? I don't know. I don't hate the kid at all and want to see him succeed (and stay healthy!), I was just making a very casual non scientific observation.
jeffk
AG
Aston94 said:

I think you both are wrong. Gio is adored by his Dortmund teammates and seems to be well liked by the other USMNT players. He wears his emotions on his sleeve a bit, but he is really young. He doesn't need his ass set straight, nor is he a diva.

In todays society, I tend to think we'd have heard a lot more about Gio being a negative influence on teammates or coaches or locker rooms by now if all the body language psychologists were onto something. So yeah, I think he's just more expressive on their field and that's about where his "attitude problems" end.

I just wish he could stay healthy.
jeffk
AG
jeffk
AG
I guess CP is fit enough but Sargent wasn't.
Agthatbuilds
jeffk said:

Deleted, what'd it say?
oh no
AG
This is Jesus's chance
jeffk
AG
The lineup. They posted it then immediately deleted and replaced it. No idea why as the players are exactly the same. It's fixed now.
oh no
AG
Silvertaps
AG
Zimmerman with the start…interesting
KCup17
AG
I actually think Jesus will help us tremendously. In build up play and pressing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.