***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,905 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got you boo

zgolfz85
AG
Pahdz said:

I got you boo

I mean…I haven't played regular footy in 20 years or so, still occasionally play some lazy pickup, but like…have none of these dudes ever kicked a soccer ball….or even watched someone else kick one? Toe punches all around
Pahdz
I'm sure me shooting free throws looks equally awful. I feel like most everyone has a sport they're really bad at, even if they're pretty decent at anything else they pickup and play.

Basketball is that sport for me. Like Stanley from The Office level of bad
wangus12
AG
That's why you make your kids play everything they can and develop all the motor skills.
PatAg
AG
wangus12 said:

That's why you make your kids play everything they can and develop all the motor skills.
Playing everything, even if its just at a casual level and you just learn the fundamentals, is always worth it.
Pahdz
I did... basketball just never clicked. Played plenty of it pickup wise, just could never shoot.
gougler08
AG
So overall this isn't a bad matchup for us right? Both teams not exactly lighting it up on scoring and while our last 20 min defense is scary, we've still been good overall
Dre_00
I read somewhere (can't remember where...maybe here) the description that summed it up best. The Netherlands and the US have similar strengths and similar flaws.

Maybe the one area where that isn't true is that in Gakpo, the Netherlands currently have an in-form striker capable of scoring the limited clear chances their hefty possession creates. The US...absolutely do not have an in-form striker who is finishing well.

I'm still optimistic though. We match up better with them now than we probably ever have. Gakpo and fatigue are likely our biggest enemies.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00
Some of the Dutch players have come down with a virus. LvG won't say exactly who or how many.

https://www.ad.nl/wk-voetbal/na-frenkie-de-jong-en-marten-de-roon-nog-meer-zieke-spelers-bij-oranje-als-het-rondgaat-is-het-zorgelijk~ac197bd4/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F
gougler08
AG
Dre_00 said:

Some of the Dutch players have come down with a virus. LvG won't say exactly who or how many.

https://www.ad.nl/wk-voetbal/na-frenkie-de-jong-en-marten-de-roon-nog-meer-zieke-spelers-bij-oranje-als-het-rondgaat-is-het-zorgelijk~ac197bd4/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F
May be a battle of attrition and fatigue tomorrow
jeffk
AG
So either the Dutch are hedging as they prepare for a scary matchup or it's a ruse meant to lure us into a false sense of security.
tysker
AG
Is it weird they would announce that info so far in advance? I would imagine a US manager keeping that info under wraps until the day of the match
Dre_00
They didn't really announce much...pretty cryptic. But it's typical for reporters to ask these questions in the day before press conference. Feel like that's standard in the big American sports as well. Heck, the NFL has an official injury report days before the game starts so that all the bettors can set the appropriate lines.
oh no
AG
Dre_00 said:

uh oh. I wonder if some of the Dutch players ate the Qatari "Greek" salad.
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

So either the Dutch are hedging as they prepare for a scary matchup or it's a ruse meant to lure us into a false sense of security.
Well, they're Dutch, so they could just be telling the truth…
Rudyjax
AG
I've been thinking about this match, and wouldn't be shocked if it went to extra time.

And if it goes to extra time, I don't like our chances because of depth.

I think it's critical to win in 90'.

Thoughts?
oh no
AG
yeah; we've seen our subs. we want no part of going 120' with anyone.
AgGrad99
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

I've been thinking about this match, and wouldn't be shocked if it went to extra time.

Thoughts?
I have to be somewhere at 11:30. My thought....please dont tie.
OhLongJohnson
AG
Wouldn't say it's crucial but ideally winning in the first 90' would be great. Having 3 full days of rest plus using subs from the last game benefits USA more than it does the Dutch. The team will go in on Saturday in a similar manner to last weeks show down with England. The good thing is us coming off of a win in our last group stage game can give a little bit more confidence to the team.
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Thoughts?
I have to be somewhere at 11:30. My thought....please dont tie.
Yeah, luckily my daughters game moved from 11 to 5:30.

Whew.

She was supposed to play at 1:30 last Friday. Thank the baby jesus ferreria that it was rained out.

cuz I KNOW some jackalope would've called out the score.

I saw a video of Biden at an event and announcing to the crowd the US won.

It would be my luck to get to go somewhere to meet the president (poltics aside I'd meet any president from any party.) during the US game and I'll record and try to watch it later. Then the president spoil it.

wangus12
AG
They just said Pulisic will be cleared to play for tomorrow. Sargent is still listed as day to day
oh no
AG
think CP is saved as a sub? Gio and Jesus get their opportunities to start on the world stage.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

think CP is saved as a sub? Gio and Jesus get their opportunities to start on the world stage.
Oh hell no.

He has a first half assist and first half goal.
gougler08
AG
We've scored 2 goals in the tourney and he's been involved with both...he'll start and go the whole match if his nuts allow it
Rudyjax
AG
gougler08 said:

We've scored 2 goals in the tourney and he's been involved with both...he'll start and go the whole match if his nuts allow it

Rudyjax
AG
Might be optimism.

carl spacklers hat
oh no said:

Jesus maybe but I just don't see Gio getting any meaningful minutes at this point. GGG has had plenty of opportunities to insert him and leaves him on the bench. I think Morris has a better chance of seeing the pitch than Gio, unfortunately.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
oh no
AG
I'll choose not to be so negative. Greggg has CP and Weah starting on the wing and probably doesn't see Gio as a 8 or 10 CM suitable enough to replace Musah or Weston nor does he see Weah or CP as a 9 or false 9 to get Gio on the pitch at the same time. Further, it's not the time to experiment something you didn't do during qualifying or friendly warmups. There's no real indication that Greggg doesn't have faith in Gio or his abilities. If weah isn't fit, Gio provably starts at right winger. If cp isn't fit, either Brendan or Gio start, but Gio is still likely to see the pitch much earlier.
JJxvi
AG
I think Reyna hasn't played mainly because we haven't been losing, there hasn't been a single second in this tournament in a second half where someone with a conservative mentality would think "we have to score a goal" yet
oh no
AG
Yep… and Weah is just ahead of him in the best 11 in Gregg's mind, which is ok. Remember, last BvB match before the break in mid-November, Gio had to be subbed at the half after a knock or a slight tweak.
TXAggie2011
AG
oh no said:

CP should have a field day if he's healthy. This Netherlands squad leaves a ton of room on the wings for a team employing a back 5. Let Denzel Demfries suck himself forward and have Pulisic make those runs he's good at
oh no
AG
I think the three CBs for Netherlands are really good and might be hard to unlock. Blind and Dumfries at wingback don't worry me. On the other hand, Depay and Gakpo could be dangerous but the Dutch attack doesn't scare nearly as much as England's did.
Gordo14
carl spacklers hat said:

oh no said:

Jesus maybe but I just don't see Gio getting any meaningful minutes at this point. GGG has had plenty of opportunities to insert him and leaves him on the bench. I think Morris has a better chance of seeing the pitch than Gio, unfortunately.

I bet if we really need a goal, he will get his chance.
jeffk
AG
2-0 good guys

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.