World Cup refs bad calls against USA all time

2,024 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The first bad call or oversight that I can remember was 1990, Wynalda getting a straight red for a slight push in the back in a set piece or throw in.

THAT WAS A HAND BALL! When Donovan took that shot against Germany in the Quarter Finals in 2002 and that German defender blocked it with his lower forearm. No call, no PK, just okay on.

The cheating Italy team literally beat us bloody in 2006 and they got some cards for sure, but we did too, and that match was completely lopsided in officiating.

There are more to be sure, and I hope y'all add some that I left off, but that brings us to today and todays ref. That guy was in so far over his head. Almost like an affirmative action hire that wasn't qualified to truly do a good job, and was just there for political reasons. I understand it's the World Cup, and every association gets their slots, but this guy had no control over the game from start to finish. That kind of officiating shouldn't happen at this level…
stillmerk
AG
Koman Coulibaly.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What about when Brazil broke Tab Ramos's face into pieces and just got a yellow?
tysker
AG
Mo Edu is a household name if call does not get made
MB19
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

What about when Brazil broke Tab Ramos's face into pieces and just got a yellow?
It was a straight red for Leonardo and he was suspended for the rest of the tournament.
oragator
Nm
akm91
AG
That's still not as bad as the no call on obvious handball by Torsten Fringes in the match vs Germany in 2002.

TheMasterplan
Eric Wynalda in 1990? Man you're old.

I looked that up. Thanks for the history lesson. Trying to find some highlights is impossible.
bagger05
AG
akm91 said:

That's still not as bad as the no call on obvious handball by Torsten Fringes in the match vs Germany in 2002.

Terrible. Still pissed.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
MB19 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

It was a straight red for Leonardo and he was suspended for the rest of the tournament.

Ok, guess I didn't remember that one correctly. My bad.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

THAT WAS A HAND BALL! When Donovan took that shot against Germany in the Quarter Finals in 2002 and that German defender blocked it with his lower forearm. No call, no PK, just okay on.

It was Berhalters shot, believe it or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.